Must be Krazie......

Kraziekatz1

Fuelled by alcohol I came up with the bright idea of driving from Reading to Elgin overnight......what was I thinking :( All the Redbull in China is not going to keep me awake!

RAC route planner is saying 9 1/2 hrs, AA reckons same route will be more like 10 1/2. Plus I'll need to stop a couple of times, so probably looking at 12 hr drive. Was thinking about leaving about 7pm.

Any advice, tips?

Definitely don't drink and drive in Scotland, keep your speed down as well, police are itching and under orders to increase results with the new drink drive laws here. That means if you are stopped for any reason, and they will stop you for any reason, you'll be breathalysed.

If you can't leave earlier, consider an overnight 4/5 hrs up the road. Even once over the border, it's a long old drive to Elgin, the A9 is the only real route, that is peppered with mobile, static and average speed cameras.

Put a shovel, food, wellies, sleeping bag/bags, water and a spare 5l of fuel, just in case. The Drumochter pass is notorious for getting blocked, so prep for the what ifs.

Other than that, move closer :)

• Like 1

As Graham said.. FLY. Will be cheaper and if you go tomorrow night and get a wing seat you may even see Santa at work..

Unfortunately I looked at flights and hideously expensive, plus need a car to get me from Aberdeen. Looked at trains also, didn't seem to be anything available.....hence the drive :(

Thanks for advice G Man...never mix drink with driving so safe on that front. I'll watch out for the speed cameras though.

Or just forget the bright idea and stay put

Simples

Am feeling that way......but everyone dropped presents off at mine at the weekend to take up. Will be lots of disappointed faces in Scotland come Christmas Day if I don't go :(

On a brighter note, weather up North not looking too bad :)

Why not drive halfway, then get a cheap motel or B & B. Sleep for 5 or six hours, get up early and finish the journey.

I have done lots of 'epic' journeys in my time but driving while so tired is dangerous. Plus, if overtired it may spoil your Christmas.

• Like 1

Why not drive halfway, then get a cheap motel or B & B. Sleep for 5 or six hours, get up early and finish the journey.

I have done lots of 'epic' journeys in my time but driving while so tired is dangerous. Plus, if overtired it may spoil your Christmas.

Think you might be right. I have booked a stop over for the way back already. Might even just pull over and sleep in the car for a bit if needed.

Thanks guys, gonna set off soon and just take it easy on the roads. Merry Christmas to everyone.....hope you all get something nice :)