LEGO!

KyleR

A thread on another forum sparked off my interest in this again. I can remember 15 years ago having my own bodyweight in the stuff :) until my mum gave it all away :byebye:

First one I went for I bought 2 of :lol: I'm hoping it'll be worth a few quid in the future due to the theme. Infact it's not even a LEGO creation, it's part of the LEGO Ideas community where the public create the kits and basically pitch it to LEGO. Look it up, some very cool stuff on there.

​So here it is, my first LEGO kit in over 15 years :D

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

1CC400BC-6AFA-4EF4-AE1E-3EA800EB8243.jpg

Brought back great memories from 15+ years ago when I last played with LEGO. I also found out that there may be the Ghostbusters Fire Station coming out also. :D

The other piece is quite a bit bigger, twice the pieces and about 2 feet long with a WORKING diff :O

A60F8006-3A80-4117-B681-94B9DB0477EE.jpg

Can't wait to get stuck into it with the other half who also helped me with the GB car and is loving it as much as I am. :) I also have a massive kit being shipped to me as we speak, but i'll keep that to myself until it's here ;)

• Like 5

Ooo you're the Kyle on my Facebook :lol:

I love Lego, but I really miss the lego from 10/15 years ago - I feel like the models I used to build back then were so much bigger/more parts - Castles etc. Now a days it's more expensive for less.

I saw the Deathstar made from lego - £250ish and it didn't look like it would take too long to make :(

Loved Lego as a kid, think that's where my problem solving brain really developed.

Unfortunately my mother also gave all mine away without my knowledge. There was a couple of large suitcases full of blocks. I only ever had a couple of the large kits as I just liked building my own stuff and bought the smaller kits evey couple of months with my pocket money.

Loving the ghostbusters set you have there. I nearly bought a "death star" a few years back but couldn't justify it especially as my OH thinks this sort of stuff childish :(

• Like 1

Ooo you're the Kyle on my Facebook :lol:

I love Lego, but I really miss the lego from 10/15 years ago - I feel like the models I used to build back then were so much bigger/more parts - Castles etc. Now a days it's more expensive for less.

I saw the Deathstar made from lego - £250ish and it didn't look like it would take too long to make :(

I agree to some extent, the prices have went up by about 75%, but the prices of everything have too. The kits are just as big, if not bigger than back then and certainly more detailed. There are a few parts new to me in the Ghostbusters kit, lots of little triangle bits and smooth bits used for the sides. Prices are usually between 5 and 9 pence per piece on average, which I think is pretty good and can be less than that for the huge pieces.

The deathstar is about 4000 pieces and worth every penny of the price tag, unfortunately they've been making them for quite a long time so they won't hold their value/go up as much as some other pieces. The Deathstar II is far better looking anyway and the one I'd have if I was interested in Star Wars.

My biggest regret is 4 1/2 years ago when I last got the idea to buy some LEGO as I was off sick from work for 8 weeks and I was thinking of buying the Taj Mahal for £200. It's just under 5000 pieces and still the biggest LEGO has ever made, but I couldn't justify the price. But now, having started looking at some of the larger kits I see that second hand kits are seeking on average for £900, and BNIB even more again. LEGO is a goldmine if you can guess what will be worth the most in the future and by future I mean only a few years. Only 3 years ago they stopped making the Taj Mahal.

• Like 1

Pricing wise I was looking a while back for LEGo for my Godson for his birthday and the standard sets i.e. Pirate Ship or Fire Engine were not too bad but anything Star Wars related was just silly prices, I guess there is the licensing etc but still looked too high

You're probably right, but as I'm not a Star Wars fan, I haven't looked into those prices much at all. The Ghostbusters car was £45 and over 500 pieces, what do you think of that pricing? I think for the 2 hours of fun I had with the other half building it and the great display piece it will be coupled with the nostalgia of the 80's, it was a freaking bargain :D

Arghhhh I'm now looking at Lego kits :lol:

Kyle, if you don't mind me asking but where are you ordering from? Just wondered if there is a discounted place for this stuff :thumbs:

Smyth Superstores have voucher codes for £6 off £50 and £12 of £100. You can print them off and use them in store if you wish, that's what I did, in two different stores last night :lol:

On the other hand, Toys R Us are offering £20 voucher if you spend £75 on LEGO, but the voucher has to be redeemed inside some certain dates or something. Check the T&C's on both sites and see what suits you best :)

eBay is a ****ing goldmine for hard to find stuff. Most stuff still being produced is selling for little or no profit on there and second hand stuff is usually 10+% cheaper, providing it's not a discontinued collectors piece.

• Like 1

Good man Kyle R :thumbs: Me and my Mrs are both massive Lego nerds, and since we moved in together a few years ago have been a very bad influence on each others plastic brick buying habits haha. I also have the sets in your original post - the racing truck that you can make from the F1 car set is awesome too.

Can't wait for this to get final approval:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632

Have fun!

Edited by Sized
  • Like 1

Pricing wise I was looking a while back for LEGo for my Godson for his birthday and the standard sets i.e. Pirate Ship or Fire Engine were not too bad but anything Star Wars related was just silly prices, I guess there is the licensing etc but still looked too high

You're probably right, but as I'm not a Star Wars fan, I haven't looked into those prices much at all. The Ghostbusters car was £45 and over 500 pieces, what do you think of that pricing? I think for the 2 hours of fun I had with the other half building it and the great display piece it will be coupled with the nostalgia of the 80's, it was a freaking bargain :D

Doesn't sound bad value at all :)

That looks awesome.

Spent this afternoon looking for my favourite set I had as a kid and failed.

The main build was an articulated lorry which could also be built into an overhead crane. I don't think I ever built the crane as my self built a-team van was always on missions with the lorry :lol:

Good man Kyle R :thumbs: Me and my Mrs are both massive Lego nerds, and since we moved in together a few years ago have been a very bad influence on each others plastic brick buying habits haha. I also have the sets in your original post - the racing truck that you can make from the F1 car set is awesome too.

Can't wait for this to get final approval:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632

Have fun!

Yup, that's on the list of it gets approved and I'm pretty sure it will.

The Big Bang Theory one should be out soon :D