My New Ride (Porsche Content)

Sarnie

Honestly, I'm not sure I could have done it without you!

Thanks for answering all 3 bzallion of my noob Porsche questions, it's much much appreciated.

:)

I thought it was 4 bazillion at least ;):lol:

How are you finding the PSE compared with the gts?

It's weird.

I drove most of the way back from Scotland with it off then turned it on when I came off the motorway on to the A & B roads and didn't notice a huge difference....

Under about 4k revs it's almost no different but certainly comes to life when pressing on and up to circa 6k revs plus......the problem is that once you are into that rev range, you into three figure mph's!! :lol:

After ruling out many cars without, I am seriously glad that I didn't buy a car without it, and then shell out the £2,288 that Porsche wanted to retro fit one, I think I would have been a bit dissappointed if I'd spent that kind of money on it.

Absolutely loving this car though, it's seriously got my addicted to it, it's exactly like when I had the Gallardo, just completely infatuated with it. Just wanna keep cleaning it and driving it!! :lol:

What is weird though is that six months ago I would have said that I'd never buy a Porsche, the brand just didn't interest me, the 911 range just bored me but now I'm converted!! I'm even having thoughts of a Boxster GTS for the summer!!! Although I still have an E46 M3 Vert :lol:

Cheers for all your help Dan! :)

• Like 1

Very nice motor B) I can only guess at how much better the modern Porkers are compared to my 10 year old 996T. And i think the 996T is staggeringly good....!

I noticed in my local OPC that the current 3.8L Carrera has an optional 'Power Pack' upgrade for circa 10k - that puts the standard (non-Turbo) 911 (991) up to 400bhp! :teeth:

Is yours the manual or the PDK box? I'm tempted to get mine booked in for a service early next year just so i can have a Cayman R courtesy car :thumbs:

Edited by andyvvc

Very nice motor B) I can only guess at how much better the modern Porkers are compared to my 10 year old 996T. And i think the 996T is staggeringly good....!

I noticed in my local OPC that the current 3.8L Carrera has an optional 'Power Pack' upgrade for circa 10k - that puts the standard (non-Turbo) 911 (991) up to 400bhp! :teeth:

Is yours the manual or the PDK box? I'm tempted to get mine booked in for a service early next year just so i can have a Cayman R courtesy car :thumbs:

I'll be honest, until a few months ago I'd never even sat in a Porsche let alone driven one, so I have absolutely no opinion on how they compare. But, I can confirm that the R is completely awesome!!

I had ordered a new GTS to be delivered next year but had a demo for the day was was fairly unimpressed. It looked and drove great but it just felt a bit generic and samey for me, which is the problem I'd always had with Porsche previously. There was no X-factor. For me the R is the perfect level of exclusivity (only about 220 cars in the UK) and performance. It has some stuff taken out but not too extreme and is probably in between a 911 and an Exige, based on comfort and spec etc.

And they are supposedly appreciating which is always nice! :)

• Like 1

Sarnie not that it's the be all and end all but just wondered what's the performance figures for one of these then? :)

Not sure if it's a good thing or not but I actually don't know without googling!!! :lol::blush:

Before looking it up I'd assume 340BHP and about 5 secs 0-60?

Sarnie not that it's the be all and end all but just wondered what's the performance figures for one of these then? :)

Not sure if it's a good thing or not but I actually don't know without googling!!! :lol::blush:

Very respectable. ;)

Would love a Porsche one day, ...a lot of car for the money imo. B)

Very respectable. ;)

Would love a Porsche one day, ...a lot of money for the car imo. B)

corrected that for you Granville

• Like 1

I thought I remembered that you'd ordered a GTS.............which made me start looking at them :teeth:

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a great car, but for me the issue was that I was never comfortable with the price. My invoice price was £73k which I managed to get to £70k. Then I had the demo and it didn't blow me away. In fact it felt a bit dull. Not what you want when you have to part with £70k in a few months.

I then had the experience day where the Pro drivers showed me what it can really do and I was re-sold. I went straight from Silverstone to the Solihull dealership and told them I wanted a car before the end of the year, not May 2015. They said it was possible (to save the order I assume) but a couple of weeks later they finally said that they couldn't get me a car till Feb 2015 which I didn't want.

The final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the 2016 GT4 actually being a summer 2015 car!! I wasn't prepared to pay £70k for a GTS, only for the GT4 to come along only a few weeks later!!

So, I bought a '12 R instead!!

Very respectable. ;)

Would love a Porsche one day, ...a lot of money for the car imo. B)

corrected that for you Granville

:lol:

Can't disagree with that. :teeth:

The new Cayman is the bomb, that's not a bad one either. Had a chat with an owner of one like this at Knockhill last year, he reckons he would need a good chiropractor pretty soon and, he'd just bought it doh!

Couldn't live with the 'less is more' handles though.

Enjoy you're new ride mister :)

• Like 1

Very respectable. ;)

Would love a Porsche one day, ...a lot of car for the money imo. B)

Seems I was doing the car a bit of a disservice with some sites claiming 0-60 of circa 4.2 secs using the launch control! :blush:

The new Cayman is the bomb, that's not a bad one either. Had a chat with an owner of one like this at Knockhill last year, he reckons he would need a good chiropractor pretty soon and, he'd just bought it doh!

Yep, love the new Cayman too, it's what actually drew me in to the Porsche dealership in the first place!

My problem was that I would always want the best one available which is/was the GTS. Once you add your options, you are at £70k+ which I was okay with until the GT4 was brought forward to next Summer and my car was due in May.....

Once you are in the seats they are perfect, getting in and out of them is the tricky bit!!

Yep, love the new Cayman too, it's what actually drew me in to the Porsche dealership in the first place!

My problem was that I would always want the best one available which is/was the GTS. Once you add your options, you are at £70k+ which I was okay with until the GT4 was brought forward to next Summer and my car was due in May.....

Once you are in the seats they are perfect, getting in and out of them is the tricky bit!!

Ditto, was there in the dealership a year and a half ago, when I got to £60k, I called it quits, that was just the S!

Stunning car :thumbs: it was actually going out in a friend of the family's R in exactly the same spec as yours that made me get my Cayman S; he bought it as a stepping stone to a GT3, and enjoys his R so much that he no longer feels the need to change it for the 911 alternative! I'm still really glad I went for the Cayman over it's rivals; hope you enjoy yours as much! Oh, and the residual values aren't bad either if you don't want to lose any money ;)

You'll never get 4.2secs 0-60 in the CR, even with LC on. For some reason, the LC in the CR is bloody awful, and even with PCM on or off it skips and hops and doesn't really know what it's doing. It's the same tech as in my old 911, which was absolutely flawless. Neither me nor my brother could work out why mine was so good and his so terrible!

Not that it's remotely about 0-60 mind, the grunt between 30-120 is just superb. :cloud9: