Debadging gone wrong.... I am so pi$$ed!!!

jbrunouk

Ok guys...

I decided to change the 'Nissan badges' from the front and rear of my roadster.

Researched the way, so had my old credit card, extension cable and mrs hair dryer to heat the area etc..

Front one came off perfect and changed within i would say 10mins, the rear one.............

I used masking tape around the area just outside the emblem as the new i wanted to be cm perfect..

As I used the credit card sawing through the old glue and peeled the emblem off, a tiny area of paint came off... annoyed but no problem the new emblem will cover it anyway, decided to remove masking tape to the left to put the emblem and this happened... massive area of paint under masking tape came completely off. Like nothing!!!!

I am so pi**ed you would not believe as now ha e to get the damn boot resprayed....

How the heck can the paint be so delicate... must have been sprayed previously as the boot area below paint is black, no sign of primer or layers or nothing....

No idea the cost to respray yet... but i have worked on cars for years and never had something like this happen!

Pics below of new badge type and the rear boot after the 'issue'....

IMG-20141129-WA0001_zpsg87yfhha.jpg

emblem_and_grill_zpsdlqsroei.jpg

Flipping heck that's nasty. :scare: Really feel for you. :byebye:

Some panels come black from the factories and that pretty much just looks like someones just painted a base coat straight onto it with no primer so could be a botch spray job done by someone. :shrug: Never seen that happen before. :blink:

• Like 1

Flipping heck that's nasty. :scare: Really feel for you. :byebye:

Some panels come black from the factories and that pretty much just looks like someones just painted a base coat straight onto it with no primer so could be a botch spray job done by someone. :shrug: Never seen that happen before. :blink:

Someone has already taken off the fairlady Z badging so guess the boot has been just sprayed a base coat...

Just worried about the rest of the car as I have a small chip to the osr panel and thinking will that start flaking or whatever down the line. If thats how the Zed is sprayed from new then jeez, not impressed at all!

Just need a find a sprayer in west london, hope its not too expensive... I budgeting about £200 but still one bloody expensive badge change.

Ouch! Not good!

A mate of mine owns body shop and really good at it, but he is in Redditch, near Birmingham.

But I'm sure he will be able to do full job in a day as he has baking booth etc etc, if you wanted to drive up one day.

Thet

RT performance is in west London I think. They are a highly recommended trader on here.

Are they a bodyshop??

They sure are.

Okay any contact details or address for them...

As so pi**ed don't even wanna look at my car right now...

Edited by jbrunouk
  • Like 1

Common issue with the Roadster boot lid.

I have 3 here all suffering from exactly the same issue.

how did those roadsters boot have an issue with the paint?? As mines has also gotten chips to the lower lip before when i have had to use touch up paint to sort. did not know it was a common problem. wish i knew before i attempted to change badge now

RT Performance are now in Wembley I believe. They were in Kew. Moved so they could get better equipment and premises.

Other option are TGM in Fleet, a quick jaunt down the motorway - pricey but do a fantastic job.

They are a trader on here so any discounts offered for Zed owners on the forum? Anyone had any work done with them..

Isn't the roadster boot lid plastic? Could be part of the root of the problem. I will check mine with a magnet tomorrow. Jeeze I must have been lucky when I changed my badges as I attacked them with no mercy - no real problem, they took a while to do tho' and there was a tiny scratch but that's under the actual badge.

RT did my front lip, changed the side skirts (resprayed from red to gun Metal plus a few other bits and would probably go as far as saying they are not a body shop - they are the body shop

Call Taras at RT Performance. They have done all the work on my z and are top guys producing superb results..

I went down there and was quoted 2-3 days to do the work and £200+vat to spray the boot, to be honest thats expensive so found another garage, so dropping my car off tomorrow and should be done by next morning.

Edited by jbrunouk