I have enough stuff, thanks (charity content)

Ekona

My birthday falls in December, so naturally it's around this time of the year the usual questions from my family start as to what I want for both birthday and Christmas. Every year it gets more and more difficult, as tbh if there's anything I want I'm so impatient I usually just buy it myself :blush: Last year I actually ended up asking for (and receiving) some socks!

So this I've decided that I'm going to do something different. I've started asking people to donate to a nominated charity instead of buying me anything, as I have more than enough 'things' in my life and I'd quite like to be able to do something for those less fortunate instead.

My mum thinks I'm mad, my wife kinda understands, the rest of my family are keeping their cards close to their chests. Am I genuinely daft in doing this? Anyone else ever done similar, and if so what was the reaction?

• Like 3

I do this with Christmas cards and have done for years.

Always tell those in my family to donate £3 to the RNLI instead of getting me a pointless card.

And I donate £30 myself instead of buying cards.

I do think you're mad, but that has nothing to do with this idea ;)

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

Do I think your mad - you really want me to answer that??

Do I think posting on a forum that you are now a really nice guy and giving your presents to charity makes you look an ar$e? Only you can get away with not looking an ar$e in that situation!!!!

Do I think the idea is mad, not at all, better going to a charity than having something you don't need and won't use. I think it's a great idea :thumbs:

Will I be following in your footsteps - No but only as I don't have any friends :(

Really like Lexx's thing with cards I always think they are a huge waste of money and resources!

• Like 1

Do I think your mad - you really want me to answer that??

Do I think posting on a forum that you are now a really nice guy and giving your presents to charity makes you look an ar$e? Only you can get away with not looking an ar$e in that situation!!!!

Do I think the idea is mad, not at all, better going to a charity than having something you don't need and won't use. I think it's a great idea :thumbs:

Will I be following in your footsteps - No but only as I don't have any friends :(

Really like Lexx's thing with cards I always think they are a huge waste of money and resources!

:console:

Wish I was so lucky. My birthday falls in December also but tends to get "overlooked" because everyone`s so wrapped up (skint) with Christmas just over a week away.

And this year the wifes niece has arranged her daughters christening on it. How exciting will that be - sitting through a christening on yer birthday ... :mad:

• Like 4

My opinion... I would keep it to yourself that you've got everything that you want. Perhaps not all of your family and friends are as lucky as you and will resent you for treating their present to you so nonchalantly. If you genuinely want to do something good and give it to charity, just ask for birthday money and give it yourself behind closed doors.

A few years ago I was in a reasonably similar position, and i remember telling my Gran that there was nothing I wanted, and that nobody should buy me anything. She told me that even though it's my birthday it's not all about me - people enjoy giving gifts just as much as receiving them, and by telling people not to bother, you're taking that joy of giving to you away from them. :thumbs:

• Like 4

My opinion... I would keep it to yourself that you've got everything that you want. Perhaps not all of your family and friends are as lucky as you and will resent you for treating their present to you so nonchalantly. If you genuinely want to do something good and give it to charity, just ask for birthday money and give it yourself behind closed doors.

A few years ago I was in a reasonably similar position, and i remember telling my Gran that there was nothing I wanted, and that nobody should buy me anything. She told me that even though it's my birthday it's not all about me - people enjoy giving gifts just as much as receiving them, and by telling people not to bother, you're taking that joy of giving to you away from them. :thumbs:

This. For me with Xmas - It's about giving more than receiving.
  • Like 1

Until I read this I was absolutely and totally in agreement with Dans selfless idea. This post has genuinely made me pause for thought.

Surprising how such a seemingly generous act could upset or offend so many people!

• Like 2

This. For me with Xmas - It's about giving more than receiving.

+1. I really enjoy getting gifts for my family/friends.

We don't always express how we feel about each other very well at times and it just feels like taking the time to get them something nice they will like sort of let's them know that we do love each other really. Doesn't have to be an expensive gift either, just something thoughtful. ;)

It's a fair comment, and an interesting POV. Unfortunately my family will never ever do money for gifts, they struggle if I dare ask for gift vouchers, so whilst I quite like the idea I don't think its a goer sadly.

For me, just spending time with (some of!) my family is enough of a present :)

I think its a great idea. I am pretty much in the same place, if I want something I buy it. Most years I put a band on at the hall with a buffet and invite a great bunch of locals for a night out. I then take donations for the local hospice. Otherwise I would end up with 200 bottles of alchohol. :lol:

• Like 1

My birthday falls in December, so naturally it's around this time of the year the usual questions from my family start as to what I want for both birthday and Christmas. Every year it gets more and more difficult, as tbh if there's anything I want I'm so impatient I usually just buy it myself :blush: Last year I actually ended up asking for (and receiving) some socks!

So this I've decided that I'm going to do something different. I've started asking people to donate to a nominated charity instead of buying me anything, as I have more than enough 'things' in my life and I'd quite like to be able to do something for those less fortunate instead.

My mum thinks I'm mad, my wife kinda understands, the rest of my family are keeping their cards close to their chests. Am I genuinely daft in doing this? Anyone else ever done similar, and if so what was the reaction?

Commendable :)