How not to drive at a track day - GTR

wmr1980

Words fail me :scare:

And I do trust that his name gets passed to track-day organizers to not let him anywhere near one of their events in the future.

And wearing a great thick fleece 'cos he has to have the window fully open to rest his arm - total and utter dickhead.

Strange how most of the time he has his arm resting on the corners then on the straight he uses both hands on the wheel. What a nobber!

Don't upset him Gareth... :scare: :scare:

:lol:

Some things that his mate is saying I do understand but it's still bs.

Back when I first started track days you didn't have to wear a helmet in "tin top" cars but you did have to obey certain rules which where all laid out in plain English for everyone to understand at the briefing which you had to attend before being allowed on track.

I'm sure the GTR driver would have had a briefing before going on track and been informed of certain rules/regulations including that you do not overtake in the braking zones or on corners, ...& yet he does.

That by far was imo his most dangerous move and probably ultimately why he collided with the Mclaren later in the day. :thumbdown:

• Like 2

If you watch he's actually bracing himself when he goes round corners to stop himself sliding off the seat. Hence why he only has one hand on the wheel in corners. Surely if you're of a weight that is liable to throw yourself out of the seat you should maybe think about using a harness...

Ok so just now on the GTR forum a new member has signed up. He was there on track at the same time as this idiot and this is what he has to say about it all...

Someone on PH pointed this post out to me. I can't help but voice my opinion.

I was there on the day in a Honda Accord and I was there all day.

These are the things I saw:

The GTR belonged to a group of close friends who enjoyed each other's company.

They could have arrived late as I didn't notice them in the safety briefing.

Just before lunch time a very powerful white 911 belonging to the group out braked me into turn 7 while positioned to do so in the middle of the track, indicating that he had planned to do so. We know it had some power because we started braking at +90mph.

Followed by the white GTR doing the same.

again

and again

and again......

Until possibly the same white GTR forced us dive away from the apex to the outside of turn 12.

and it gets worst.

He then forced a BMW off track limits by what looked like a outbraking manoeuvre at propane bend as seen a few times in the video.

The 4 of us let the marshal know, luck would have it the BMW came over to do the same.

In the afternoon:

While having a chat with one of the marshals near the machine someone in a caterham came over to have a private word with a different marshal and I overheard complaints of a GTR overtaking on the wrong side, then overtaking on the left again in chicane on the back straight. After the marshals spoke to each other on the radio orders to black flag him was given.

After we went back to check our fuel the GTR came into the pits with some paint damage to the front right of the car.

He stopped at the marshals post, BLOCKING the track exit, shouted something at the marshal.

When the traffic behind the GTR had cleared, the McLaren came in, followed by my mate.

My mate immediately went to let the marshals know that he was behind the incident and had witnessed it happen.

This is what happened:

Once the GTR passed me on the first straight it had caught up the McLaren, as the McLaren's front left wheel touched the curb which is known to be the apex point of that hairpin the GTR hit the left rear wheel of the McLaren. Exactly what the GTR driver did to another Megane in the video at the 1:00 mark.

We can confirm that we did not see the McLaren indicate his intention to let the GTR pass at that point as it would be monumentally stupid to do so. Bear in mind the up coming hairpin, before all the straight in the world afterward and the complete lack of space before the hairpin.

While we were standing at the marshal's post, ensuring the driver of the McLaren wasn't hurt and giving our account of the incident. Your friend came charging towards the driver of the McLaren with all the anger in the universe, shouting abuse, using his size to overwhelm the marshals holding him back, accusing him of "stealing the racing line", threatening physical violence and gave complete disregard to the organiser.

Your friend's behaviour out of the car was exactly the same in the car, he has no concern for any rules, he has no concern for anybody's safety, he lives his life as a bully and he tried to bully the McLaren's driver after the GTR had caused a crash. I was afaid your mate wasn't going to be held back by the marshals, the only one not afaid of your mate was the driver of the McLaren. He didn't even say one thing back to the driver of the GTR other than to request that he stop shouting abuse and let the grown ups talk. Which ever friend you were R4lly, the way that you didn't control him can only lead us to believe you were used to him bullying everyone around.

At this moment my mate, would also like to tell everyone that the GTR carried on racing along after he had tried to spin the McLaren. AND that a marshal told him after the crash the driver of the McLaren had been doing passenger laps and also sitting passenger to instruct a first timer on his first track day during the morning session.

I doubt anyone can support your version of events as a handful of people came to voice their complaint about a group of white cars including the GTR in the video.

So which car were you driving?

If you were truely his friend, you ought to stop trying to blatantly lie for him and keep him away from the tracks, for the good of his safety and everyone elses.

Because none of us want him anywhere near us, in a car or in person. Your friend is truely obnoxious.

Since you consider him as a friend, I doubt you are a very good person either.

To me reads like the GTR driver is your typical roid head (steroid user) bullying people in person & trying to do the same on track. :rant: What a w**ker. :dry:

• Like 2

The biggest issues for me is the overtakes mid corner, and the lack of space he gives other drivers. His bodylanguage and behaviour inside the car is his call, it's just the lack of attention and respect to other drivers that ultimately I find irritating.

• Like 1

Oh and what's great about that thread is that his "friend" has responded as well as another track day driver (Driving a honda accord) who basically acknowledges that the guy didn't get any better throughout the day. The Mclaren driver has replied too! :D

So if he "friend" had mentioned it why didn't he change his behaviour?

Regardless of him being a 25st lump (mainly gristle) I would have had no problems asking him to get off the track or to stop and think about his driving. I'm no expert, but I am considerate to others on the track because

1) I want to have fun

2)I don't want to damage my car

3) it's more fun taking the right lines without having someone to worry about on your inside.

Edited by wmr1980
  • Like 2

Thats as bad as Ive ever seen, Im amazed that Bedford allowed it as they were pretty quick to black flag me for drifting ........... :lol:

To anyone put off trackdays by seeing that, dont be - Ive never seen anything that bad in real life, and Id hope that it was just a one off that he didnt get banned, you could do tracks for the next 10 years and never see anything like that again.

Oh I dunno, I had a V10 R8 that decided to outbreak me into a corner at Donny last weekend: Luckily I saw him coming, but I very very briefly considered just turning into him anyway and watch his face when he compares the cost to repair of a £100K R8 vs a £2K MR2 snotter :lol:

There's always at least one idiot on a TD, you just need to identify then avoid at all costs. But no, I've never seen anyone quite that dreadful. Tbh, MSV are as much to blame as he is.

if you want to meet them all at one location just go out for a track session at Trax

Oh, I dont count Trax as a trackday, its more like watching drunks try to set a qualifying time round Silverstone. Comedy as long as you arent out there with them :lol:

• Like 2