Drivers who took pictures of road accident fined by courts

Adrian@TORQEN

Five drivers who took photographs as they drove past an accident on a Northamptonshire road have been punished by the courts.

The motorists all passed a van which had left the road on the eastbound carriageway of the A45 near Great Doddington on May 12 this year.

As they travelled along the westbound carriageway, the five male drivers all took pictures of the scene on the opposite side.

At Northampton Magistrates Court last month, all five pleaded guilty to not being in control of their vehicles.

Inspector Jen Helm from Northamptonshire Police said: “I don’t want drivers just to think about the consequences of being fined for their actions, I also want them to understand the majority of people see their behaviour as dangerous, illegal and disrespectful to victims and their families.

“We have prosecuted people for this kind of behaviour before and we are more than willing to do it again until this risky, voyeuristic fad passes.â€

The five drivers were aged between 30 and 57 years-old and included two from Northampton, one from Wellingborough, one from Rugby and one from West Yorkshire.

All of the drivers were caught in a five minute period by officers at the scene who noticed motorists on the opposite side of the road were taking pictures as they drove past.

After spotting the reckless drivers, officers from the Collision Investigation Team took pictures of them while other members of the emergency services dealt with the collision.

Taking into account court costs and fines, the five men were all ordered to pay between £205 and £285 by magistrates. All of the drivers also had three points added to their licences.

https://www.northants.police.uk/#!/News/24116

• Like 1

I get a million rubberneckers a week looking at incidents on the motorway. If they spent more time driving they'd eliminate the 5 mile tailback yet the incident isn't even on our side of the motorway.

BMW drivers also pi$$ me off, have I ever mentioned that before?

• Like 1

I get a million rubberneckers a week looking at incidents on the motorway. If they spent more time driving they'd eliminate the 5 mile tailback yet the incident isn't even on our side of the motorway.

:teeth:

:teeth:

Ex-Zed owners are okay though :teeth:

• Like 3

I agree taking photos is ridiculous

However, I can't say I don't peak at a crash on the other side of the road when I see one. It's human nature isn't it?

Yep definitely, ..but getting your phone out to take pictures/video etc is not and your head almost spinning round on your neck just to get a good nosy as you drive by is dangerous as well as insensitive to those involved. :thumbs:

Really can't say anything about taking photos from behind the wheel - I know I did it once to show the temperature up here in the winter of 2010 - but if they were stupid enough to get their phones out whilst driving past police they are too thick to be on the road!

agree!

....taking pictures while driving is just redicilous and stupid. Isn't it, Ian? :stir:;):lol:

agree!

....taking pictures while driving is just redicilous and stupid. Isn't it, Ian? :stir:;):lol:

It was stationary :teeth: and too amazing not to snap. Rather than being an idiot taking pics of a crash. :p

agree!

It was stationary :teeth: and too amazing not to snap. Rather than being an idiot taking pics of a crash. :p

Lovely sunrise ;)