DoogyRev's Winter (& Sumer) Project 2014/15 Update P3

DoogyRev

So for those of you that remember my Tool Box Project, I ended by says I was looking to start another.

Well as it would have it, a trip up to see Uncle Stu in the back country this weekend has been very productive :ninja:

Me - "Stu I am looking for a V8, know anyone with one?"

Stu - "For you anything, hop on the truck and we'll go get one"

:lol:

So off we go to to a scrap yard (at night :scare: ), and just help ourselves . . "which one do you want?" "errrr that one will do" :yahoo: So we plop it in the back of his truck and drive home. Here it is . . . . . From a Ford Truck apparently, gear box and all

v801_zps58334480.jpg

So . . now we need to get this from Stu's truck to my truck . . . . Now this is a toy every person in the whole world should have . . . .

v802_zpsf4fb63ff.jpg

We'll just use the BobCat B)

v803_zps8cea9112.jpg

I don't need all the bits, so we set about stripping the Gearbox and other parts . . .

v804_zps93b3bfe2.jpg

Here is my little pile, some of which I will keep . . . .

v805_zps83835704.jpg

Not much more to go . . .

v806_zpsa3708e3c.jpg

v807_zps3dc0194d.jpg

Now back home with bits that are "manageable" . . its still chuffing heavy :surrender:

Just in case you were wondering, all the bits we took off, Stu is going to sell back to the scrapyard owner :lol:

So I have a V8 Project for nout . . . Uncle Stu is a legend B)

v808_zps175aeba9.jpg

Obviously I am not going to be fitting this to a Zed, or any other car for that matter, this is the general idea . . . .

v800_zpsf1026007.jpg

I have the chain and sprockets, all 8 pistons with con rods (although one is fooked) and anything else I thought I might use.

So here we go :teeth: stay tuned for updates, doubt much will be going on for the next month or so as I am away a fair bit, but I will keep you posted when I manage to get my fairy soft hands dirty :lol:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 4

you should use 4 pistons to hold the glass up :)

That was going to be the plan, use 4 for the Glass, and maybe the other 4 as feet, then attach the sprockets and chain to the front

First job is to clean everything up . . its a wee bit oiley at the moment :lol:

And if you're really curious, you can work out when it was made and what it came from:

http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

I'll get me coat...

Thanks Tim :thumbs: One I can see the SN/ I will let you know what it was :)

you should use 4 pistons to hold the glass up :)

That was going to be the plan, use 4 for the Glass, and maybe the other 4 as feet, then attach the sprockets and chain to the front

First job is to clean everything up . . its a wee bit oiley at the moment :lol:

Weeing on it will just cause it to rust, it won't clean it at all :D

• Like 1

And if you're really curious, you can work out when it was made and what it came from:

http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

I'll get me coat...

Well I have the SN from the Block . . and . . its . . . a . . . 1969 Mach 1 Mustang . . . :lol:

Only joking :p . . its from a 1965-1966 5.9L F150 (Big Block) Engine Tag is D3TE 1

38306010001_original.jpg

I have started the de-grease . . then I will be off to "Sand Blast It Yourself" in Chilliwack for $1 a minute :scare: . . . which might be interesting. Prob wont get there until next month as I have travel looming.

http://www.vaporblastcanada.com . . obviously I won't be "vaporizing" it since it steel . . but they have a bead only something or other I can use :shrug:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update . . . .

Well I have been working and globe trotting for the last couple of months . .all work and not much play, I thought it was about time I did a wee update on this.

As some of you may have seen the lump was situated on this, poor little trolley was straining a bit and it wasn't exactly the greatest thing to work on.so . . .

v809_zps408b0116.jpg

So I now have this . was on sale at $44.95 :teeth:

v810_zps6288747e.jpg

v811_zps0efadbc4.jpg

I was not really sure that 4 bolts would hold the block :scare: . . but it seems sturdy enough. I did make sure the bolts were Grade 8 . . non of that flimsy cheap aluminium bolts here, at least it won't drop on my foot :lol:

Made a tray to catch all the crap that falls out, I am still in degrease mode..

v812_zpsf177b1ab.jpg

and finally, I have seen the light . . .

v813_zps132cd8f9.jpg

another bargain in the sale department . . $35 :teeth: At least I can now see what the fook I am doing :lol:

v814_zpsc673febb.jpg

I am off to get back to the degreasing . . maybe more updates next week :wave:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 2

And to think you have a go at me about a lack of progress reports!

Think of it as gentle encouragement :lol: :lol:

Well I have finished degreasing . . I think :blush: Next up will be a drop of sand blasting, so we will see how that turns out especially if I go to the "Blast it your self" place :scare:

So since Mr Jag :wave: has put up a mini update I thought I would :teeth:

After speaking to Darren for a few tips on polishing I thought I would have a play. So at the beginning of this evening one side of the block looked a little like this . . .

v815_zps4499dde6.jpg

Picked up a small sander today and a few different grits of paper. I am not going to go too mad at this stage as I don't really want to have to re-do any work after the block has been blasted.

So this was after a few runs of 120 &320 grit using the machine. I then switched to 400 Grit wet sanding. Now since steel and water don't mix, I got some detailing lube (like you use for claying . . thanks again Darren :thumbs: ) and tested a few areas. so far so good. Once I get at this on full chat, I will be up to 1500 Grit . . and hopefully a nice smooth shiney finish B)

v816_zps0672c1ca.jpg

This block has a few war wounds . . see very left of the above for a large chip taken off the side. It also has the below . . which I want to get rid of, so looks like a whole lot more sanding to come . . unless anyone has some bright ideas.

v817_zps490f4205.jpg

v818_zpscce615a7.jpg

That all for now, thanks for looking :)

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1