iPhone 6/6Plus & Watch

Ekona

Shock news, thin aluminium device is able to be bent by someone being heavy handed with it.

I wouldn't say sitting down is heavy handed though....

Depends on how they're sitting. We have no idea what trade they work in, what trousers, was anything else in the pocket, did the damage actually occur during use etc.

I agree, it's not great, but context is everything.

Lucky sod! :lol:

I admit, iTunes isn't the be all and end all, but once you understand how it works and just let it get on with it, it's absolutely fine. I have all my music running from a NAS, with a single iTunes library that updates from either my PC or Jo's iMac. It accepts stuff from my iTunes account or hers, ripped CDs, or dodgy stuff I get from the interweb. Was it a faff setting it up? Yes, but only because I was trying to force it to do something that it wasn't designed for. Once I figured that out, and guided it on its way, it was more than happy. :)

Half the trouble with moving from Windows/Linux stuff to Apple stuff is that you're so used to bodging everything, that you can't accept that there's a program that has s singular way of doing things. I used to love telling Win where to install stuff, as I wanted it in specific places to make my life easier. I can't do that with Apple stuff so easily, so it's best just to let it do its own thing and then you find it's actually a terrific piece of software.

I found it the other way around. I have a NAS box at home with all my films, music, books etc on. On all my windows laptops/htpc and on all my android devices (phones, tablets) etc.. in fact on everything I have, I can just browse over my home network to the NAS and stream films, music etc directly to my device. I can even copy mp3`s over to my phone to listen to if I want to off-line.

When the wife got her ipad she wanted to do the same. I figured it would be a simple easy case of opening up the file brower and browsing to the NAS box.... however, firstly it wouldnt allow you to actually see any windows networks. I had to download (and pay) for an app which let you browse and see the windows network. Great I thought, now I can just double click on the film like you would normally do and watch it. No. Apparently apple doesnt like you viewing any other media file formats other than its own. So then after spending some time googling I then had to download (and pay) for yet another app in order for the ipad to be able to view divx or whatever format the movie was in. What was a simple every day thing I have taken for granted as ive been able to do for as long as I can remember turned into a complete hassle and waste of an evening. Its just an example of how apple try and force you to do things their way. Bit like every single device I have seems to use the same micro usb charging lead, its kind of an industry standard now. Except for apple. They refuse to use it and keep coming up with their own sockets. I did read that they were developing their own version of the normal USB socket too. God knows why.

I remember when my wife first got her very first iphone. iphone 3 I think it was. Normally we used to just copy contacts to the sim card, stick sim card in new phone and copy them back to the phone. Nice and easy. Her phone had non standard sized sim card so couldnt do that. No problem I thought, lets just send them as business cards from the old phone to the new. Nope, iphone didnt use standard business cards so didnt recognise them. How about sending them via bluetooth. Nope. apple used non standard blue tooth so wouldnt pair with old phone. We must have tried 4 or 5 ways of getting them over. In the end I had to manually create each and every contact as a new contact in her iphone and key the phone numbers in. Again, another whole evening wasted as something which normally is a quick 5 minute job on every other phone ive had was a nightmare because apple decided to do things how it wanted and force you down that path. Once we got the phone all up and running we then realised that due to apples non standard bluetooth it also wouldnt pair with her car or her hands free earpiece. So we had to then go out and buy "apple approved" from the apple store. Sigh!

If you try and work with windows and ios or osx then you will have problems. All my media goes through an app on my Mac which converts it to mp4 and auto adds it to iTunes which is then accessible on appletv I can access my network, Mac/PC on my iPad and iPhone and all of the music/video very easily

I agree with lots of the Apple bashing like the charger and costs of it, memory cards or rather lack of etc etc etc but nothing is perfect

Shock news, thin aluminium device is able to be bent by someone being heavy handed with it.

I wouldn't say sitting down is heavy handed though....

Depends on how they're sitting. We have no idea what trade they work in, what trousers, was anything else in the pocket, did the damage actually occur during use etc.

I agree, it's not great, but context is everything.

Or just accept that carrying round an iPad in your pocket to make calls is just silly :p

No argument there!

Regarding Apple making a non-standard lead, you do realise that it's actually superior to mUSB? Try putting an mUSB cable in your phone in the dark: It's 50/50 as to which way round it goes, so invariably there's some fumbling. With the Lightning connector, it makes no difference which makes life a lot easier. Lightning also supports a higher power capacity than mUSB (12w to 9w).

USB Type C isn't ready yet, and will require that everyone buys new adaptors and accessories et al, so the exact same criticisms can be labelled at that then.

Having watched a mate try to bend/snap my GS4 and fail miserably (dont ask) and having a billet aluminium HTC One M8 in my pocket that you can drive over without bending it, I dont really accept that TBH. Charging £700 for it is a **** take, frankly.

On connectors - Im pretty sure my M8 on USB3 transfers data faster than Lightning, and Ive read it has the potential to carry 100w as well. Theres also the fact that every other goddamn ancillary, phone and charger all use standard USB which makes life a lot easier if you need to borrow someones charger.

I dont want to come across as anti Apple coz Im not, iMacs are still awesome bits of kit and the other iProducts were game changers when they came out, but its stuff like the above that underlines it for me - every one of these threads seems to end up with the Applisti trying to defend their toys and the Androidians coming up with a LOT of reasons why the competition has caught up and gone past them. If you prefer an iPhone, or iOS then Im not going to knock you, each to their own but if youre going to try and tell me that technically they are superior then Im having none of it. :p

• Like 3

"I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus†thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you."

“Now, it’s bent iPhones. Because someone didn’t realize that, when you sit on something, there’s this thing called physics that says that, when there’s enough pressure on something, it will either bend or break. And, now, lots of websites are showing videos of them bending iPhones. As if it’s worth the cost of on iPhone to get a bunch of mindless people to watch a video of an iPhone getting bent.â€

“Any phone made of metal is still subject to the laws of physics, but to reiterate that this isn’t exactly a problem exclusive to the iPhone 6, here’s a look at other Android and Apple phones that have bending problems,†Buster Hein reports for Cult of Mac. “Samsung’s phones are dominated by plastic, but it’s new metal-friendly Galaxy S4 devices are prone to bending in pockets too. XDA forum user Phonage reports his Galaxy S4 bent when he put it in his front jeans pocket.â€

“Many Sony Xperia Z1 users reported their metal frame mysteriously bent for no reason at all after being left in rear pockets. One unfortunate CrackBerry user posted pics of his Q10 that never fell but is bent. ‘I’ve no clue what happened .. I’m so pi**ed.’ Other BlackBerry owners in the forum thread reported seeing similar bendings.â€

Here’s the recipe for iPhone FUD:

1. Identify an issue that all other smartphones have (i.e. cellular antenna attenuation, screens that can be scratched with materials that are harder than the screen, metal casing that can be scratched with materials that are harder than the metal casing, phishing easily-guessed passwords from people who fail to utilize two-factor and other provided protections to obtain photos taken with smartphones from online storage, metal cases that bend under extreme force, etc.) or concoct an issue which has no factual basis at all (i.e. iPhone 5c, which outsold all other non-iPhones on the planet, is a “failure.â€)

2. Important: Pretend that issue is only attributable to Apple’s iPhone. Feign “concern.â€

3. Make goofy videos using iPhone only to illustrate this issue that all other smartphones have. Continue to feign “concern.â€

4. Blow said issue wildly out of proportion via the media echo chamber with much wringing of hands.

5. After Apple’s iPhone destroys you in premium smartphone sales, wonder why your iPhone FUD failed yet again.

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

http://macdailynews.com/2014/09/24/if-bending-is-all-apples-iphone-6-plus-rivals-have-left-theyre-roadkill

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/23/get-bent

http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-iphone-bends-so-what/

iOS 8.0.1 out now:

http://www.macrumors...ases-ios-8-0-1/

- Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store

- Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode

- Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library

- Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

- Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages

- Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases

- Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups

- Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari

Apple advised full restore to iOS 8.0, 8.0.1 has been pulled off at the moment while they're investigating.

Meanwhile, enjoying my unbelievably incredibly rediculously over-priced 4.7" iPod Touch...

corrected that for you :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wish I seen this. .... Any idea how to restore to iOS 8???

Yep, easy:

Download the firmware (direct apple links):

iPhone 6 - http://appldnld.appl...65_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 6+ - http://appldnld.appl...66_Restore.ipsw

After downloading, on a MAC, you have to hold the ALT/OPTION and select update to bring up the option to select the older firmware.

Hold SHIFT if using WINDOWS to bring up the option to select the older firmware.

• Like 1