UK terrorist threat level raised to 'severe', Theresa May says

Adrian@TORQEN

The UK international terror threat level has been raised to "severe", Home Secretary Theresa May has said.

The new alert level means an attack is "highly likely". It is the fourth highest of five possible threat levels.

Mrs May said there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was "imminent" but that the level had been raised in response to events in Iraq and Syria.

The threat level in the UK last changed in July 2011 when it was reduced to "substantial".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28986271

Meh. Working at an airport, I guess I'm just a bit casual when it comes to the alert states now. I see them as nothing more than a political tool really, used to justify spending money (or not) in certain areas.

Oddly this actually does nothing to how the security forces react as far as I'm aware, as it's classed in the same heightened state as severe. Attacks are prevented by intelligence these days, so they can pretty much call the threat level whatever they want as either the intelligence works, or it doesn't.

• Like 1

It's political rubbish. There is a chance that some nutter could pop down the shop, by the stuff he needs, build a bomb and walk into the local shopping centre and bang, terrorist attack

This is nothing more that a reaction to,the commissioners most recent press conference about uk nationals at terror training camps.

Like we didn't know what was happening already

You need to look at the upper hierarchy of government, police ambulance etc as a prostitute running a nuclear power station.

No idea at all what they are doing as they have never done the job, and If they have they were political yes men who were @*!# at the job but passed a few exams and gave the right answers

Why so we even need to know? What are we supposed to do with the information?

Stay in doors, stare out your window for anyone who looks suspicious?

Its a pointless exercise.

Just keep living life normally. If it makes you change your life then they've won already.

• Like 3

Agree with Ekona, it's a tool to manage public perception and that's it.

Lots of conspiracy theories post 9/11 (not the beetle) that suggest when the public become nonchalant about policies they up the threat level.

I reckon there will be ground ops in Syria by year end.

• Like 1

If you at the papers today just as much column inches given to the Great British Bake Off as the raising of the terrorist threat level :shrug:

With that and the chat about Strictly and Cheryl's return to X Fuctor, I can understand why they've raised the threat level. The guff on TV is enough to make you wonder if the terrorists might actually have a point... ;)

• Like 1

If you at the papers today just as much column inches given to the Great British Bake Off as the raising of the terrorist threat level :shrug:

With that and the chat about Strictly and Cheryl's return to X Fuctor, I can understand why they've raised the threat level. The guff on TV is enough to make you wonder if the terrorists might actually have a point... ;)

Stop The Press!!!!!!!

TOWIE star missing since friday morning...... oh hang on he has turned up in Blackpool on a jolly