Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

something I don't get is, you'll see a cyclist in full protective gear, helmet, elbow pads, knee pads and a high vis riding on the pavement weaving between people at speed. If that were a car they'd be crucified. furthermore, wearing all that protective clothing, on the pavement, just so they can protect themselves from crashing into some poor strolling soul.

• Like 1

Would you be complaining if this was more common? I bet she doesn't run red lights but the drivers distracted do :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-28680944

Fortunately she has now covered up though....

6e3a4ysy.jpg

As I posted I knew someone would post something similar and you're probably right but I'd like to think they would all be kelly brook lookalikes or at least half way attractive :lol:

I doubt anyone would be complaining if the roads were being shut for a motor race, in fact wasnt there a thread somewhere saying the government had or were allowing this?

They do shut roads for motor racing now...its called a Rally...!!! :scare: :scare:

But they don't shut down a whole City causing utter chaos this weekend. :surrender: :surrender:

I hope it pi55es down all weekend... :boat::cold:

Edited by WhackyWill

I doubt anyone would be complaining if the roads were being shut for a motor race, in fact wasnt there a thread somewhere saying the government had or were allowing this?

They do shut roads for motor racing now...its called a Rally...!!! :scare: :scare:

But they don't shut down a whole City causing utter chaos this weekend. :surrender: :surrender:

I hope it pi55es down all weekend... :boat::cold:

I have never seen many tarmac roads shut for rallies in the city, but to go along with the theme;

Would anyone complain If London was shut down for F1 like Monaco or:

Or a whole county was shut down for something similar to The Isle of Man?

Lets be real, Its only beacuse Its t**** on bikes, lol :)

Edited by Jetpilot

I doubt it any motor race would cause this amount of chaos and closures !!! :scare: :scare:

The annual Prudential RideLondon weekend festival of cycling is taking place this weekend. There are lots of places to watch the events. Roads and bridges on and around the routes will be closed to traffic. Road users are advised to avoid the affected areas wherever possible. Buses will be on diversion or stop short of their destinations.

• On Saturday, the event routes are in the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00

• On Sunday, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures throughout the day; roads will be closed from 05:00 and will re-open in phases once the event has passed and it is safe to do so

Edited by WhackyWill

Yes I would! I need to drive my car out of my road!

• Like 1

I doubt it any motor race would cause this amount of chaos and closures !!! :scare: :scare:

The annual Prudential RideLondon weekend festival of cycling is taking place this weekend. There are lots of places to watch the events. Roads and bridges on and around the routes will be closed to traffic. Road users are advised to avoid the affected areas wherever possible. Buses will be on diversion or stop short of their destinations.

• On Saturday, the event routes are in the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00

• On Sunday, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures throughout the day; roads will be closed from 05:00 and will re-open in phases once the event has passed and it is safe to do so

The TT goes on for a week!

F1 would be 3/4 days!

Although i dont live in London and appreciate how disruptive it will be, i dont believe for one min there would be quite so much animosity if it were F1 cars or Motorbikes ;)

But the difference is mate is that they are closing nearly 100 miles of roads for a whole weekend in the middle of school summer holidays, that is not sensible. At least something like Monaco is only a 3 mile road circuit - they do not close off half the artery routes of London and Surrey

Like I said, organisers need shooting, its a ridiculous idea.

• Like 1

The TT goes on for a week!

F1 would be 3/4 days!

Although i dont live in London and appreciate how disruptive it will be, i dont believe for one min there would be quite so much animosity if it were F1 cars or Motorbikes ;)

At least with an F1 race or a Motorbike Race in Town

(and by the way it will probably never happen).

Its something interesting to watch, rather than a bunch of overweight wallies dressed

as Lance Armstrong huffing and puffing on a bike.. :scare: :scare:

Yes I would! I need to drive my car out of my road!

Wanted, small minority to spoil it for the rest of us ;) its part of one weekend, I am sure you can survive ;)

Ironically it is a pain in the backside, we have to run some stuff over to my parents on sunday, usually a 45 min jaunt through quiet morning london, this time a 2 hour run aournd the M25, I wonder if the cyclists wouldn't mind paint for my extra fuel costs?

Its such a stupid idea, but I am sure people can't really grasp how much chaos it will cause unless it goes through the roads they know so well (Sheen Lane takes about 10000 cars a day, I wonder where they will all go?)

• Like 1

Ironically it is a pain in the backside, we have to run some stuff over to my parents on sunday, usually a 45 min jaunt through quiet morning london, this time a 2 hour run aournd the M25, I wonder if the cyclists wouldn't mind paint for my extra fuel costs?

Its such a stupid idea, but I am sure people can't really grasp how much chaos it will cause unless it goes through the roads they know so well (Sheen Lane takes about 10000 cars a day, I wonder where they will all go?)

I was going to see my Sister in Chistlehurst this weekend who has just come out of

hospital following a serious operation, but thanks to "wallies on bikes" this is now not possible. :surrender: :surrender:

• Like 1

Just for info, These are the bridges that are shut in London today and tomorrow

including the Blackwall Tunnel.. :surrender: :surrender:

The event routes will be in the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00.

The event route is between Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford and The Mall, via the City of London, west London, through Surrey and back through West London.

The affected river crossings will be closed for most of the 2 day's ; these are Blackwall Tunnel and Tower, Southwark, Westminster, Lambeth, Vauxhall, Battersea, Chelsea, Albert, Chiswick, Putney, Kingston and Hampton Court bridges.

How many bridges do you need to close for a weekend just for "wallies on bikes"...?? :surrender:

So my question is how do you go from North to South..!!! :scare: :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

God you're a miserable bunch, it's only one weekend!

Wonder how many millions of people it will inconvenience this weekend..!!!

This is Boris idea, so I wont be voting for him.

If he gets in we will all have bikes and Toyota Prius's .. :scare: :scare:

Bit of inconvenience for one weekend hardly seems a huge issue. Get the tube, make alternative plans etc. Hell, you could even join them and enjoy the exercise.

I don't get the hostility, I really don't. If it was a spur of the moment thing then yeah, but it's properly organised with loads of notice.

• Like 1

Is it necessary to close EVERY bridge and The Blackwall Tunnel for two days

from 05.00am to 16.00pm.

The affected river crossings will be closed for most of the 2 day's ; these are Blackwall Tunnel and Tower, Southwark, Westminster, Lambeth, Vauxhall, Battersea, Chelsea, Albert, Chiswick, Putney, Kingston and Hampton Court bridges.

:scare: :scare:

Unless you live here you won't really get it, and I don't expect people to. Mind you having walked around today looks like most people have taken it as a cue to clear off for the weekend its unusually quiet out. Notice or not it is still utterly ridiculous to close all the bridges they have.

But yeah probably being a bit miserable but it is a bloody stupid idea still!

• Like 1

Unless you live here you won't really get it, and I don't expect people to. Mind you having walked around today looks like most people have taken it as a cue to clear off for the weekend its unusually quiet out. Notice or not it is still utterly ridiculous to close all the bridges they have.

Try living on the south coast, its chaos every weekend in the summer, has taken me 35 mins to drive 4 miles, everyone wants to go to the beach :)

Agree with that.

If it was on my door step messing up my weekend plans etc I'm sure I'd be a bit miffed too, ...regardless of what the sporting activity is. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Try living on the south coast, its chaos every weekend in the summer, has taken me 35 mins to drive 4 miles, everyone wants to go to the beach :)

And if they closed half the roads for the weekend that most people use to get to the beach... ;)

Nice little snippet from a weather forecast for tomorrow :teeth:

"Given the unseasonable nature of the weather this could be sufficient to disrupt transport and make outdoor activities dangerous."

Edited by coldel