Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

As far as Lycra most will wear shorts for padding and tops as they are good at removing moisture from the body.... Horrible being sweaty on a bike.

I wear the shorts under other shorts and a bright tee shirt in warm weather and bright cycle jacket in cold/wet weather.

Some of it is for practicality :)

So why is it that countries across the rest of Europe, who arguably each have more cyclists than here, do not need to wear lycra? I would say one reason is because they are not on a time trial when cycling to work and do not sweat profusely and thus do not need the outfit.

We seem to have gone cycling crazy here, which is not a bad thing as we can see we are successful in the sport. But most people commuting seem to have the wrong equipment i.e. using crouched down time trial or fast road bikes vs when I lived in France and the like the people commuting to work across capital cities cycled slower, had more upright bikes and generally made their journey safer for themselves.

It's a good question and as I only have a commute of just over a mile I can't really answer. That said if I was cycling any further I would put on suitable cycling clothes and shower at work.

I don't know what the average commute in other European towns and cities are and maybe us Brits have to commute further :shrug:

I don't know the above but maybe it is a factor

Could be distance, not sure what the average distance is. I guess like anything though leave earlier if you have to travel further?

Yes but you're going to get sweaty and you don't want that in a suit.

You will want a shower and get changed into your suit for work? :)

I used to commute in Paris, was only about 45 minutes (rather ironically I lived centrally on Isle Saint Louis and had to cycle out of Paris to the office) and I just stuck on a tshirt and shorts like every one else - jumped on my hybrid bike and set off - I got to work had a shower and clean up and started at my desk, just as anyone in London who has a hugely expensive carbon bike and Team Sky outfit on. In winter actually I could cycle that 45 mins in work clothes and just go sit down when I arrived because I wasn't trying to tank it at 30mph.

I don't mind seeing a fit woman in lycra shorts but a fat balding office worker :sick:

No offence fodder if you are fat, balding, work in an office or would make me feel ill if I saw you wearing lycra :lol:

Currently I am seeing a lot of groups of cyclists all lycra wearing, obviously not commuting just cluttering up the roads, I normally engage in some friendly banter along the lines of 'the tour de France is that way!' good skill to be able to do the universally recognised hand gesture for a hand shandy and control a cycle at the same time :clap:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

I'm a fat office worker but not balding :lol:

As I said I wear padded shorts under normal shorts when on a ride (not commute) and a bright Tee (dri fit) as opposed to Lycra. :)

Trust me I understand what you're saying, I nearly chunder when I look in the mirror :lol:

I don't commute that often on my bike, I'm more likely to walk if I have time or if time is pressing (it usually is) then I car share with the mrs.

• Like 1

I'm a fat office worker but not balding :lol:

As I said I wear padded shorts under normal shorts when on a ride (not commute) and a bright Tee (dri fit) as opposed to Lycra. :)

Trust me I understand what you're saying, I nearly chunder when I look in the mirror :lol:

I don't commute that often on my bike, I'm more likely to walk if I have time or if time is pressing (it usually is) then I car share with the mrs.

:lol:

Sounds like a reasonable compromise, I'm sure I wouldn't chunkier if I saw you on your bike, aye just point and laugh :blush:

My boss is quite funny riding into work on his £3K mountain bike ~ usually with a face covered in dog sh*t & mud as apparently he doesn't want to fit mudguards on his mountain bike as it will ruin the look of it. :lol:

Yeah cause dog sh*t splattered all over your face & clothes looks so much cooler. B):lol:

• Like 3

Got a mate of mine who dresses up like Lance every day and cycles

from London to Kings Langley and back...Completely Bonkers,

and he has more money than God..!!

Got at least £100k worth of cars he occasionally uses at weekends.. :scare: :scare:

Got a mate of mine who dresses up like Lance every day and cycles

from London to Kings Langley and back...Completely Bonkers,

and he has more money than God..!!

Got at least £100k worth of cars he occasionally uses at weekends.. :scare: :scare:

Probly can't afford the petrol if he does drugs like Lance did :lol:

• Like 1

I posted this up a while back, but as its this weekend, think its worth another mention

as there will be chaos in London this weekend. :surrender:

Advance notice – Annual Prudential RideLondon weekend of cycling The annual Prudential RideLondon world-class festival of cycling is taking place next weekend: • On Saturday 9 August, the event route is between the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00 • On Sunday 10 August, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures; roads will be closed from 05:00 and will re-open in phases once the event has passed and it is safe to do so

Road users are advised to avoid the affected areas wherever possible. Buses will be on diversion or stop short of their destinations. Tube and Rail will be the best way to get around and enjoy the weekend.

Road users will be affected by the following this weekend:

Aldgate – There is a southbound closure on Minories between Haydon Street and Goodman's Yard until May 2015. This is while improvement works are carried out on behalf of the City of London. East and central London – There will be road closures on road race routes. • On Saturday, from 05:00 until 19:00, roads in the Royal Docks area around the ExCel London centre will be closed for a race • On Sunday, from 05:00 until 18:00, roads will be closed for races between ExCeL London centre and Central London via Lower Lea Crossing, Limehouse Link, Lower Thames Street, Victoria Embankment and Westminster Bridge

Brixton – On Sunday, from 04:30 until 22:00, a street festival will take place. Brixton Road (A23) and Brixton Hill will be busier than usual and local roads will be closed, including Coldharbour Lane (A2217) Atlantic Road and Effra Road (A204).

North Circular (A406) – Southend Road (A406) will be closed in both directions between Woodford New Road (Waterworks Roundabout) and M11 (Charlie Brown’s Roundabout), overnight on Friday and Saturday nights from 22:00 until 06:00. This is to allow for road resurfacing work. The majority of this overnight work, which is taking place until mid-October, will be at weekends although some work may also take place overnight during the week.

Chiswick – The Hogarth flyover is now closed until 06:00 Sunday 31 August, for strengthening and repair work.

Central London – Until 22:00 on Sunday 31 August, lane restrictions are in place on Lower Thames Street in the Monument area. This is while the National Grid carries out gas main replacement work.

Putney Bridge – Wandsworth Council’s Putney Bridge is now closed until October. This is while essential repair work is carried out by Wandsworth Council.

I actually gave up on my ride out on my motorbike last sunday because of cyclists. First time out in about 10 weeks, and im looking forward to a nice ride out, and every country road I went down I ended up getting stuck behind wannabe Bradleys, all lycra`d up, 3 or 4 abreast holding all the traffic up. It used to be tractors or caravaners who were the bain of the back roads, now its the lycra gang.

Amazing how every man & his dog seem to be into it now, i wonder how long this "fad" will last for? I used to enjoy a nice bit of cycling myself but didnt feel the urge to pretend i was in the tour de france. For me, it was just jeans / t-shirt and my mountain bike. Id try and stay off the roads as much as possible as I found nothing was more boring than just cycling on tarmac.

• Like 2

Oh man, the youtube channels made by cyclists with cameras strapped to their heads are the worst! Who on earth wears a camera with the sole intention of capturing other peoples mistakes? 99% of the time the "mistakes" are not even mistakes anyway, those channels annoy the hell out of me.

Trolling them in the comments is quite entertaining tho. I also have a bit of a thing for watching road rage videos where cyclists get owned, also entertaining.

• Like 2

Went out with a ride the local bike shop organise last night (mountain bike) and no one had a problem with any motorist when we were on the road parts ;)

One thing that did strike me though was, how dangerous are clip in pedals. Fine if you have time to think about it, but aint no chance your getting your feet out quick in an emergency. One bloke took a minor wipe out on a little trail, lost his balance an just couldnt get his feet out, i then witnessed what i can only describe as what looked like tortoise on his back, the guy was lyint on his side trying to get unattached from his bike as he literally had no way of twisting his feet sideways to release himself, unless he dislocated his ankles :)

• Like 2

i then witnessed what i can only describe as what looked like tortoise on his back, the guy was lyint on his side trying to get unattached from his bike as he literally had no way of twisting his feet sideways to release himself, unless he dislocated his ankles :)

:lol: I would have been kiling myself laughing.

I did say, are you ok there, he didnt want to admit defeat so said im fine thanks, i did have a good laugh with my mate who had also seen it when we stopped for a drink ;)

Cant imagine what it would be like on a road bike at 20 mph + if you had to get out quickly :)

• Like 1

Just seen a few hundred cyclist in Lycra and various other exotic dress heading to the event below

to cause chaos in London over the weekend and guess what ITS RAINING..!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Annual Prudential RideLondon weekend of cycling The annual Prudential RideLondon world-class festival of cycling is taking place next weekend: • On Saturday 9 August, the event route is between the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00 • On Sunday 10 August, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures.

Hundreds of cyclists out practicing for this event this morning causing chaos around London

I'm glad its raining.., :yahoo: :yahoo:

Annual Prudential RideLondon weekend of cycling The annual Prudential RideLondon world-class festival of cycling is taking place next weekend: • On Saturday 9 August, the event route is between the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00 • On Sunday 10 August, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures;

Hundreds of cyclists out practicing for this event this morning causing chaos around London

Annual Prudential RideLondon weekend of cycling The annual Prudential RideLondon world-class festival of cycling is taking place next weekend: • On Saturday 9 August, the event route is between the City and Westminster. Roads and bridges will be closed from 05:00 until 18:00 • On Sunday 10 August, the event route is between east, central and southwest London and Surrey. There will be extensive road and river crossing closures;

This is literally passing by us about 250 yards away, we are quite lucky that A we can still park on our road (loads of other roads nearby if you leave your vehicle outside your house in a parking bay you pay for you will be towed) also there are loads of roads that are literally cut off because they are closing the main roads all day Sunday so cars are stuck in the roads with no exit.

Whoever thought up this joke of an event needs taking outside and shooting. Utter muppets.

• Like 1

This is literally passing by us about 250 yards away, we are quite lucky that A we can still park on our road (loads of other roads nearby if you leave your vehicle outside your house in a parking bay you pay for you will be towed) also there are loads of roads that are literally cut off because they are closing the main roads all day Sunday so cars are stuck in the roads with no exit.

Whoever thought up this joke of an event needs taking outside and shooting. Utter muppets.

If I wasn't allowed to park outside my own house in a space I paid for then I might consider purchasing a stinger :lol:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1