Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

What's your thoughts when you see a cyclist?

Varies depending on the cyclist tbh.

When I see cyclists running red lights and weaving in between moving traffic then it does get me a bit annoyed. When I see cyclists holding up motorists by riding two or more abreast then I get really annoyed (I see that as selfish especially when they can see queues forming behind them whilst they chat away).

Generally I'm a very courtious driver (imo), ...always give room to cyclists, let out other road users etc etc but I feel like some of the cyclists have a very selfish attitude to riding on the roads which we all share. Their attitude seems to be like "same road, same rules for all" but then they "hog the road, follow none of the rules & ignore others rights". :dry:

• Like 1

see its funny motorbikers hate cars, cyclists hate cars etc yet, the attitude from motorbikers is always better in the sense of road manners than cyclist why is

Most cyclists are motorists :shrug:

EDIT: hate is a strong word and if you hate cyclists I think that is probably the cause of your frustration.

GM is spot on, they are all road users and they must all respect the others. Cyclists are the most vulnerable so give them room and they will respect you. I thank motorists if they hang back on bends and let them know if it's clear as I'm better sighted. I also appreciate as a motorist when cyclists do this too.

Edited by Fodder

true but when there on a bike they have an attitude of the car is the enemy and most do all possible to make it known, Two scenarios

country road a cyclist doing 20-30 i pass at 60 i get a fist waved at me and a look of what the **** you think your doing, yet i over take a guy on a moped he actually moves across to give me more room to pass safely

this the difference im on about

Why is it 99% of cyclist think most manoeuvres by cars are bad/wrong etc

Because they typically are (in my experience anyway) you need to remember being a foot or so away is extremely scary for a cyclist. It affects balance etc.... Obviously my experience the speed differential is quite a bit different :lol:

What I tried to get at with "what do you think when you see a cyclist" is if you start with a negative attitude it may affect your driving without realising it. It may not as I've never seen you drive burin bet it does to some people :)

But yes cyclists who jump red lights are naughty and so are the cars that do the same and get away with it :)

I won't quite as I don't want the quoting police to red card me :lol:

You're right, the guy who hopped of the kerb was a tool.

As does by the sound of it the guy who rode into your mates BMW.

That said I had a similar situation early this year. Came to a queue of traffic at some lights, cycle lane on the left no one indicating to go that direction so I pull alongside a range rover who is at the head of the queue, I look over so he know I'm there. Lights turn green I start pedalling and said range rover indicates left and pulls right across me. I slam on my brakes and avoid a collusion and I get a V sign for my trouble. The idiot had spotted a parking space when he looked over at me WTF.

what I'm trying to get at is there is always a counter argument.

As far you tubers I get you, I even posted "traffic droid" earlier as very tongue in cheek as he's asking for trouble and that yard stick will end up where the sun don't shine.

Using common sense, indicating your intentions and positioning I'm advance will make the world of difference, it let's everyone know your intentions be it cyclist or motorist.

That "Traffic Droid" guy is definitely going to get taken out if he keeps giving motorists abuse/red cards, ....everybody makes mistakes occasionally but not everybody reacts well to being told they've made a mistake. :dry:

Yes I agree, he should meet my mate Steve the scaffolder.. :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

That "Traffic Droid" guy is definitely going to get taken out if he keeps giving motorists abuse/red cards, ....everybody makes mistakes occasionally but not everybody reacts well to being told they've made a mistake. :dry:

Wahoo we agree on a few things :)

From what I could tell when I saw him on tv he did his utmost to create a situation to get a reaction. Complete bell end

• Like 1

But most of his red card mistakes isn't illegal so not sure what he thinks he going to report lol that's what annoys me personally a bad judgment or being in the wrong lane isn't a crime yet the million droid as you've taught me there called :) try to broadcast it as rape yet when they do it, its all smoke and mirrors as can't be traced or receive the same treatment if that make sense

He's self styled "traffic droid"

Honestly he has about 6 go pros around him and his bike. He gives us Bike riding IT consultants a bad name.

I don't know about the other you tubers you refer to as I don't really trawl YouTube for anything more than tutorials on fixing something on my bike or brewing beer :blush: so I can't really comment other than what isn't illegal on its own can be damn right dangerous when other road users are in the vicinity.

• Like 1

It was an interesting point made above, that cyclists are also motorcyclists yet behave differently on each vehicle despite it being the same person. Clearly there is a mentality thing that with certain people turns them from sensible motorcyclists to cyclists with a chip on their shoulder. I guess I get an exacerbated negative view of cyclists living in London, I am going to generalise and say at least three quarters are mild mannered people when on foot but turn into Tour de France wannabes the second they strap on all that completely unnecessary lycra (seriously you are not going to shave three tenths of a second off your commute time to work by shaving your legs and wearing unsightly outfits with Team Sky written on them) and try to race as fast as possible to work.

There is something competitive about it that shouldnt be there, imagine if every car and motorbike driver drove with the same approach, stick on a one piece flame proof suit, helmet, gear up and absolutely push the car/motorbike to the limit to catch those cyclists and show them its quicker using my form of transport... ;)

• Like 2

There is something competitive about it that shouldnt be there, imagine if every car and motorbike driver drove with the same approach, stick on a one piece flame proof suit, helmet, gear up and absolutely push the car/motorbike to the limit to catch those cyclists and show them its quicker using my form of transport... ;)

This you saw thousands of cyclists watching the tour de france full geared up, i dont go to silverstone to watch btcc in flame suit and crash helmet

No problem showing a bit of support, like wearing a footy top at the game, but you woukd look a total tool with the shorts, socks & boits on too!

I mentioned most cyclists being motorists too (not just motorbikes).

I see plenty if cars acting aggressively to "protect" their piece of road, happened this morning.... Car in the middle of two lanes so no one could get around him, into a roundabout still sitting between the lanes straight through a red light.

I was a passenger with my partner being the vehicle behind, she was forced to wait even though the lane she wanted was free ahead of the vehicle and the lane he was in was busy. We stopped at the first set of lights when they turned to amber and he flew through the second set when they were fully red.

All at the overleigh roundabout I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Interestingly the one cyclist I saw was waiting at a crossing where the cycle lane and footpath erred (no room for separate).

As far as Lycra most will wear shorts for padding and tops as they are good at removing moisture from the body.... Horrible being sweaty on a bike.

I wear the shorts under other shorts and a bright tee shirt in warm weather and bright cycle jacket in cold/wet weather.

Some of it is for practicality :)

Can't see the video as in work

As far as Lycra most will wear shorts for padding and tops as they are good at removing moisture from the body.... Horrible being sweaty on a bike.

I wear the shorts under other shorts and a bright tee shirt in warm weather and bright cycle jacket in cold/wet weather.

So why is it that countries across the rest of Europe, who arguably each have more cyclists than here, do not need to wear lycra? I would say one reason is because they are not on a time trial when cycling to work and do not sweat profusely and thus do not need the outfit.

We seem to have gone cycling crazy here, which is not a bad thing as we can see we are successful in the sport. But most people commuting seem to have the wrong equipment i.e. using crouched down time trial or fast road bikes vs when I lived in France and the like the people commuting to work across capital cities cycled slower, had more upright bikes and generally made their journey safer for themselves.

• Like 2

So why is it that countries across the rest of Europe, who arguably each have more cyclists than here, do not need to wear lycra? I would say one reason is because they are not on a time trial when cycling to work and do not sweat profusely and thus do not need the outfit.

We seem to have gone cycling crazy here, which is not a bad thing as we can see we are successful in the sport. But most people commuting seem to have the wrong equipment i.e. using crouched down time trial or fast road bikes vs when I lived in France and the like the people commuting to work across capital cities cycled slower, had more upright bikes and generally made their journey safer for themselves.

It's a good question and as I only have a commute of just over a mile I can't really answer. That said if I was cycling any further I would put on suitable cycling clothes and shower at work.

I don't know what the average commute in other European towns and cities are and maybe us Brits have to commute further :shrug:

I don't know the above but maybe it is a factor

It's a good question and as I only have a commute of just over a mile I can't really answer. That said if I was cycling any further I would put on suitable cycling clothes and shower at work.

I don't know what the average commute in other European towns and cities are and maybe us Brits have to commute further :shrug:

I don't know the above but maybe it is a factor

Could be distance, not sure what the average distance is. I guess like anything though leave earlier if you have to travel further?