Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

My last word on the subject. We forget that everyone using the roads are actually squishy vulnerable beings and we should keep that in mind when trying to make progress be it pedestrians, cyclists or motorists.

• Like 1

I agree a red light is a red light. I see as any motorists jump them as I do cyclists.

Assuming you meant "as many" then I call absolute bullsh*t sorry.

Daily when driving back & forth to work I haven't seen one motorist jump an actual red light in years, ...cyclist's I have seen doing it, well at least 5-9 per week.

I agree a red light is a red light. I see as any motorists jump them as I do cyclists.

Daily when driving back & forth to work I haven't seen one motorist jump an actual red light in years, ...cyclist's I have seen doing it, well at least 5-9 per week.

Overleigh roundabout in chester.

Each time I use that roundabout I see a motorist jump a red light.

Either to try and beat the lights or because they are watching the wrong set.

"Le Tour" effect has gone mental up here. Spent the weekend in North Yorkshire for a wedding, couldn't move for cyclists. I'm a fan to be fair, so I don't mind sharing the road with anyone daft enough to go out there in micro thin lycra for protection and a polystyrene hat, but they were riding 3 and 4 abreast? Really?

On back roads not wide enough for two cars all it takes is someone coming the other way on a bend with a high wall or hedgerow - boom, its all over. Even the most basic fans of cycling should know they should be riding in a line into the wind, then taking turns at the front :shrug:

• Like 2

as per my post fully agree with you easily 20-30 cyclists in 5 minute 0 cars

Please reread my posts.

I said I know cyclists are mental down south. I'm from chester (which I said in the post you partially quoted from).

I'm not trying to argue but to tar ALL cyclists with the same brush is ridiculous.

Don't get me started on pedestrians using cycle lanes ;)

Please reread my posts.

I said I know cyclists are mental down south. I'm from chester (which I said in the post you partially quoted from).

I'm not trying to argue but to tar ALL cyclists with the same brush is ridiculous.

Don't get me started on pedestrians using cycle lanes ;)

dont take it personally and if you reread my post i said i dont know where you come from but yea there is crap drivers and crap bikers, but i do honestly feel and random webcams not cyclist webcams editing all to make car drivers look like the devil prove that the rate of law breaking cyclists in a city environment is more than 2 or 3 x higher than motorists

I agree in a large city like London cyclists seem to take the pee but I'd be interested to know if those that do break the law are professional (couriers) or commuters/pleasure.

I cycle to try and burn a few calories on a mountain bike averaging about 14mph on my journeys. These are mixed from cycle paths, roads and trails. I sometimes cycle or walk to work (just over a mile) and see problems with all of those. For example pedestrians and cyclists wearing earphones so if you ding your bell they don't hear you and get irate when you have to pass close to them.

The percentage of cyclist who break the law is insanely high in comparison to motorists that do the same.

Plus they are not held accountable for the most part as largely there is no way of identifying the cyclist when they do break the law. :dry:

The percentage of cyclist who break the law is insanely high in comparison to motorists that do the same.

Plus they are not held accountable for the most part as largely there is no way of identifying the cyclist when they do break the law. :dry:

Is speeding breaking the law?

For cyclists and motorists alike yes. :rolleyes:

I wear headphones in the MR2, but they're noise cancelling ones just so I don't go deaf! :lol:

On occasion as a cyclist, I've skipped onto a path to 'skip' a red light, but only when there's no pedestrians and it's a single lane crossing due to a narrowing of the road. I'd never do it on a major road, or on a crossing.

that is the reason tho they cant get caught thats why the do it give em plates and red light cameras they wouldnt do it

Yep agree.

I'd be happier if cyclists had to complete some type of "cycling test" before being allowed on the road and if it was made illegal for them to cycle on the roads without an identifying plate/lights & some type of insurance. Fairs fair.

For cyclists and motorists alike yes. :rolleyes:

My point is that going 1mph over the speed limit is the same penalty as jumping a red light in the eyes of the law.

I'd bet the majority of motorists exceed the speed limit by at least 1mph on a daily basis.

I'm just a little peeved that you seem to think more cyclists break more rules on the road than motorists. I think they can be as bad as each other. I try to stick to the rules no matter what form of transport I'm using.

that is the reason tho they cant get caught thats why the do it give em plates and red light cameras they wouldnt do it

Yep agree.

I'd be happier if cyclists had to complete some type of "cycling test" before being allowed on the road and if it was made illegal for them to cycle on the roads without an identifying plate/lights & some type of insurance. Fairs fair.

I agree about a competency test if some sort.

I bet more drivers don't speed daily than do.

I don't think cyclists break the law more than drivers, it's just that they're more noticeable when they do because they're a rarer sight on the roads. Same reason people think all sports car drivers drive like hooligans.

• Like 1