Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

How many cyclists actually have lights on in the dark? 50% at most?

What astounds me is that cyclists always raise the point that they have no protection etc. Yet behave in a way that minimizes their chances of staying safe. Dark clothing, undertaking, drafting cars inches behind, weaving in and out of traffic, not using lights, rapidly changing position behind a car to try and get through - Cyclists can take a really pro-active step to ensuring road use is safer, by putting their own safety at a higher priority than beating the traffic. They cant account for an idiot in a car doing something stupid, but they can stop the ridiculous 'racing' mentality you see in traffic in London.

• Like 2

I have no issues with motorists when out on my mountain bike and yes I mean when I am on the road. I am in no rush to get to the offroad bit and give every respect to motorists, lets put it like this, they will do more damage to me than I will to them, whether they are in the right or wrong, I will not take risks with a ton and a half or more of moving metal!

But here in lies the issue i believe, i am travelling slowly on road, i can stop on a dime and avoid easily, i am not in any way trying to "keep or get up my average speed" on a bike I am strapped to that cant make quick turns, hop up a kerb or bail from if necessary, just to impress your mates with a good average.

The roads are a means of transport, you want to get out and improve your average, do what most do here if they actually want a nice drive, get out at 4 or 5 in the morning and home in time for breakfast without busy roads were you put yourself in danger!

this !

if you can view the link please do if not here is a vague description

a cyclist avoiding all cycle lanes riding as fast as possible gets to a t junction a car pull across his path and hes shouts **** off and hits it,

but from him noticing the car to hitting it is a good 10-15 Meters yet not once did he go for the brakes he just ploughed into the side

if this had been joe public doing 10 mph on there way to work not racing the strada account there wouldn't have been an accident, to me the rider was riding to fast for the conditions with regards to his vehicle a car would have stopped im sure in that time, the cyclist also doesn't even try to swerve just heads straight into the car,

first notices it at 0:17 hits its at 0:21

https://www.facebook...<br /><br />i really think some cyclist go out to catch this and have this accident to either a) get compo B) just another bit of evidence they can wave at motorists

Absolutely agree, going way too fast for the conditions and his mode of transport, it was a busy road in the wet not the Tour de France on a closed road

I've not read all of this lengthy thread but I also see numerous cyclists ignoring red lights and I think that they are being reckless because drivers have right of way and yet the cyclists seem to think they are invincible, despite all evidence to the contrary. I don't think that cyclists (or horse riders) should not be on the roads but I do think that everyone, car drivers, cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians, should obey the rules of the road and keep both themselves and everyone else safe as a result. Unfortunately, horses can sometimes be spooked by cars coming dangerously close to them or cyclists giving no warning before swarming past and then all the poor rider can do is to try to get the horse back under control. It's not a great situation and can be very dangerous for horse, rider and, occasionally, driver or cyclist but most riders try to desensitise their animals and considerate overtaking helps an awful lot.

• Like 1

SteveD. How many cars do you see with a light out and they continue to flaunt it and not get penalised even when it means they blind oncoming traffic.

sorry ive just seen this and im quite confused of your logic?

a car with a bulb out so less light now blinds people?

on a serious note cars have an mot test once a year to pick up on this how many inspections does a bike have ?

One side out you get brighter from the other side and usually main beam.

Sweeping statement there.

I cycle so I have no boundaries or respect.......

FFS

I cycle too, but have no issue with the comment as from what I can see these days its true, a cyclist is certainly not as accountable as a driver and they know it, hell I know it, I was out later than I should have been the other week, I had no lights, what was I going to do, walk home with my bike or ride, I rode home very slowly on the pavement, it was only 4 miles, a police car drove past and nothing, you can be dam sure if I was in a car with no lights on the pavement I would have been stopped, is there a difference?

Whacky stated all cyclists have no boundaries or respect but edited after I pulled him up. Should've quoted.

I agree there are bad cyclists and I gave an example of that earlier.

I really object to the comments that suggest anyone who rides a bike breaks the law at every opportunity. I don't.

I stop at pedestrian crossings.

People seem to ignore the fact that there people who use the road that break the law regardless.

So whats the answer Fodder? Sure your on a car forum defending cyclists but this is the general feeling brewing, its been in the news, social media etc etc Perhaps its the highway code abiding cyclists like yourself that need to address the issue, rather than get tarred with the same brush :)

I would say most of us on here actively avoid the stigma of boy racers or chavs and try to show the public and other drivers, by means or organised events, drive outs, even forums etc we are in general law abiding motorists who just have a passion for cars or modifying them!

Personally i think its up to you keen cyclists to clean up the reputation of the modern day cyclist!

SteveD. How many cars do you see with a light out and they continue to flaunt it and not get penalised even when it means they blind oncoming traffic.

sorry ive just seen this and im quite confused of your logic?

a car with a bulb out so less light now blinds people?

on a serious note cars have an mot test once a year to pick up on this how many inspections does a bike have ?

One side out you get brighter from the other side and usually main beam.

never had one light go brighter because the others out personally but fair enough

Doesn't happen with xenon as far as I know. Every other private hire car will be like this in winter months and I've seen them drive by police cars without being pulled too.

I myself prefer to be seen if I'm going to be cycling in low light conditions, I'm squishy you see.

So whats the answer Fodder? Sure your on a car forum defending cyclists but this is the general feeling brewing, its been in the news, social media etc etc Perhaps its the highway code abiding cyclists like yourself that need to address the issue, rather than get tarred with the same brush :)

I would say most of us on here actively avoid the stigma of boy racers or chavs and try to show the public and other drivers, by means or organised events, drive outs, even forums etc we are in general law abiding motorists who just have a passion for cars or modifying them!

Personally i think its up to you keen cyclists to clean up the reputation of the modern day cyclist!

I'm not that keen a cyclist (I'm fat and unfit) and use it as a form of exercise I just think this thread has been very short sighted.

I don't know the answer but I'd start at grass roots by making sure kids get the training like we used to as I don't believe this is funded anymore.

I'm not that keen a cyclist (I'm fat and unfit) and use it as a form of exercise I just think this thread has been very short sighted.

I don't know the answer but I'd start at grass roots by making sure kids get the training like we used to as I don't believe this is funded anymore.

Sadly its not short sighted, you are most definitely in the minority, its pretty much everywhere you go these days, there was even a tv programme about it not so long ago!

You argue motorists break the law almost in defence, although i would agree, but its a risk, speed cameras, cameras on traffic lights etc When did you ever hear of a cyclist getting stopped for jumping a red light or speeding?

Edited by Jetpilot

make cyclist accountable and traceable like car drivers

How would you do that?

Btw I would imagine most bikes on the "road" are traceable as you can get them tagged pretty much like a dog.

I know you're referring to external markings but I don't think that's practical on a "push bike".

I do think making schools educate kids on bike behaviour and maintenance is a starting point.

How would you do that?

I know you're referring to external markings but I don't think that's practical on a "push bike".

:shrug:

numberplate.jpg

Looks pretty feasible to me ~ easy enough to do on a push bike.

• Like 1

How would you do that?

:shrug:

numberplate.jpg

Looks pretty feasible to me ~ easy enough to do on a push bike.

That is a motorised bike, more substantial than a push bike. How easy would it be to transfer "plates" on a push bike?

Also the drag would be horrendous. 1FP (fodder power) would be pretty much wiped out :lol:

It gets me when I see cyclists breaking the law but as I said on my travels on foot, bike or car I see more motorists breaking the law and they have plates. I know I'm not in London and will be seen as a country bumpkin but that's my experience.

Let's put it this way, for some they will break the rules if they think they can get away with it.

If you can't out pedal the drag caused by a small number plate on a push bike then you really do need to get fitter. :lol:;)

Listen unfortunately for you Fodder as a law abiding cyclist you are in the minority.

If we say for instance daily that 25% of motor vehicles on the road break the law (whether it's speeding or whatever) then the percentage of cyclists breaking the law would be something more like 90% if not more imo.

You can argue all day long if you like but I'm sorry that's just in my opinion so it won't change.

I understand that not all cyclists are inconsiderate or law breakers but the sad fact is whether it's riding on the pavement, running a red light or simply riding without lights at night the majority do all these things, ...and get away with it most of the time which is another reason it peeves off the majority of vehicle owners.

If you can't out pedal the drag caused by a small number plate on a push bike then you really do need to get fitter. :lol:;)

Listen unfortunately for you Fodder as a law abiding cyclist you are in the minority.

If we say for instance daily that 25% of motor vehicles on the road break the law (whether it's speeding or whatever) then the percentage of cyclists breaking the law would be something more like 90% if not more imo.

You can argue all day long if you like but I'm sorry that's just in my opinion so it won't change.

I understand that not all cyclists are inconsiderate or law breakers but the sad fact is whether it's riding on the pavement, running a red light or simply riding without lights at night the majority do all these things, ...and get away with it most of the time which is another reason it peeves off the majority of vehicle owners.

Oh I'm fat :lol:

But let's put it into perspective, a 7 character number plate made to government standards is a substantial thing to put on.

I get what you're saying but it's at odds to my experience and I guess where you live is a big factor as has already been said.

I know several have mentioned cyclists wearing cameras and editing. I don't have a camera but I can see why some do, I was on my bike earlier (with lights, helmet on, on the road as no cycle lane etc) in a 30 puffing and wheezing away when a car doing at least double the speed limit flies past me too close for comfort, another car further down the road pulls out believing they have plenty of time and the first car has to swerve to avoid it.

There are so many near misses it's unbelievable.

What's your thoughts when you see a cyclist?

i observe and to be honest like this morning with a colleague make the joke will they or wont they stop at lights etc turn it into a game show see who can guess the most correct and as long as you choose jump all the time you mostly win haha

Well done, what do you win?