World Cup chat

LRF4N

Giving everything isn't the final answer to winning. It's the begining of not getting beaten.

Interesting perspective on English football mentality, it's not a tear down of Rooney by the way, it just uses him to make a point.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/world-cup/doyle-wayne-rooney-epitomizes-all-thats-wrong-with-english-soccer/article19255711/

On other fronts, come on Italy, bang 5 past CR!!!!

Giving everything isn't the final answer to winning. It's the begining of not getting beaten.

Interesting perspective on English football mentality, it's not a tear down of Rooney by the way, it just uses him to make a point.

http://www.theglobea...rticle19255711/

http://www.theglobea...rticle19255711/

That is a very good read actually, one point stood out, we knew six months ago who we would be playing, yet we didnt know how to deal with them!

What a load of nonsense that article is. Rooney has outperformed and out scored many 'foreign' opponent. We played well in qualifying and Rooney was top scorer, again. Unfortunately England are perennial tournament failures and have been for twenty years. Outside of WC and EC we are one of the most successful teams in the world. I would wager that Italy would love to have Rooney on the bench right now...its not the individuals, its the team.

What a load of nonsense that article is. Rooney has outperformed and out scored many 'foreign' opponent. We played well in qualifying and Rooney was top scorer, again. Unfortunately England are perennial tournament failures and have been for twenty years. Outside of the actual WC and EC competitions we are one of the most successful teams in the world. I would wager that Italy would love to have Rooney on the bench right now...its not the individuals, its the team, the manager, the FA.

Edited by coldel

1 goal (scored last night) is not enough to warrant an automatic start imho, he most likely has the most goals in qualifying because he plays the most games (guessing)?

Time after number Rooney starts, but doesnt deliver in the games that count, what do you suggest, we keep playing him till he retires as he might come good? Do we want to win or just play Rooney as he is our "best" striker? And if he is the best striker, why is he played out of position?

Regardless of individuals we lost to Italy, we werent good enough, we had to win this game, we cant keep just playing the same players with the same strategy, we need to adapt, players, team and management, make some bold choices, too much safe bets all round!

Rooney has a 1 in 2 goal ratio for England, he does score goals, when managers play him up front. You don't get 40 goals for England at that rate without being a bit decent, otherwise why are there only three other Englishmen in one hundred years to have managed so?

Unfortunately, like Joe Cole and a few other 'talents' they are played out of position to fit into a team - as a few people have said, play them in their position or don't play them at all.

• Like 1

Sunday Times DAILY? Really? :lol:

Agree with coldel re: that article, a lot of payers get better and better in the Premiership, the most expensive player int he world wasnt getting a start for Portsmouth not that long ago ....... ;)

Likewise, if Suarez, Ven Persie and Aguerro can develop in the Premiership then theres no reason why the homegrown lads cant either. Sure, Pirlo is a master of the game but not every team has a Pirlo, England being one of them :)

• Like 1

Sunday Times DAILY? Really? :lol:

Agree with coldel re: that article, a lot of payers get better and better in the Premiership, the most expensive player int he world wasnt getting a start for Portsmouth not that long ago ....... ;)

Likewise, if Suarez, Ven Persie and Aguerro can develop in the Premiership then theres no reason why the homegrown lads cant either. Sure, Pirlo is a master of the game but not every team has a Pirlo, England being one of them :)

Very true, look at Ronaldo, he became the player he is now because of the premiership, whilst he grew up and learned his craft, Rooney through all his toys out the pram as he wasnt Utd's star player any more!

Do America have one 'Superstar' player? Do they have one who'd get into the England team? No!

Yet they play accomplished football against world class opposition, because they have a

decent manager with tactical nous! It's not foreigners in the Premier League that's the problem,

its the FA appointing a string of useless managers since they sacked the last good one

(Terry Venables) because his face didn't fit! :surrender:

Do America have one 'Superstar' player? Do they have one who'd get into the England team? No!

Clint Dempsey is pretty decent TBF, but Ghana and Portugal (on current form) arent Italy and Uruguay, not by a long shot. And Venebles face not fitting was not the reason he got sacked, more to do with his illegal activities ......... ;)

We havent played terribly by any means, we just didnt play well enough to beat Italy and Suarez got lucky twice against Uruguay.

Yet they play accomplished football against world class opposition, because they have a

decent manager with tactical nous! It's not foreigners in the Premier League that's the problem,

its the FA appointing a string of useless managers since they sacked the last good one

(Terry Venables) because his face didn't fit! :surrender:

The last good manager was Sven, but the experts in the press advised the problem with Sven's team "only" reaching the quarter finals of tournaments was he was one of them "foreigners" who liked ex-weather girls. They advised we'd be much better off having good old England's Schteve and then good old England's Woy, cos they're born in a certain place, which is actually a qualification now under UKIP.

The last good English manager was Hoddle. We played the best football I've seen from us under Hoddle and were extremely unlucky in '98 not to do something more, but sadly his mouth didn't fit.

Least the England chat will last longer than the England team :lol:

Sorry :)

England did get a really hard group but they are still teams they should be beating. You say how many of the USA team would get into the England squad, how many of the Uruguay would get into the England squad? Suarez and Godin, but I would have had Terry over Godin so I would say one player could get into the team.

Godin was very lucky to stay on the pitch, if that wasn't a WC game he would have gone but the ref bottled it, I didn't think he had a good game at all against England.

I do look at that England defence and it scream mediocrity - I suppose we can look to the likes of Sterling, Barkley etc and cross our fingers they will come good which isn't a given, just look at Wilshire. What does worry me is the 'youth' coming through in defensive positions is the likes of Smalling who is so average its shocking. Shaw is the only glimmer but in centre backs where traditionally we have been strong we really have very little to offer at the moment.

As a paid up member of the Defenders union, I must point out that defence starts before the back 4. You could have Maldin, Baresi, Desailly and Cafu at the back, but if there's no pressure on midfield any half decent attacker will be able to pick out forwards on the move with ease (see Balotelli goal and Suarez 1st goal)

Absolutely, you have to have a pressing midfield but there will be times when a defender, well, will have to defend. When those moments came both Cahill and Jags were both found wanting by some margin, just simple stuff like letting players run in behind them, just not marking players and generally a poor reading of the game. I also winced every time Jags got the ball, his distribution is awful. Yes the team defends as a team, but the defence just doesn't have that solid look to it, you know a mistake is just around the corner. They make me feel like I did about David James! Could be good, technically should be good, but error ridden.

I agree about Godin having a bad game and being lucky to stay on the park but he is a well regarded CB. It is a good point about defending from the front. I don't think Sterling, sturridge, Henderson are the worst for putting a tackle in but they could be better. Rooney isn't afraid to chase someone back to his own goal and I was impressed with Welbecks efforts off the ball.