Why hasn't the 370z worked?

Level 7 Boss

I dont think thats entirely true, just did a google and found this, plenty of marques making increased sales year on year http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/11/usa-sports-car-sales-figures-october-2013-ytd.html, UK car sales are at a six year high I read on the news some time ago, households in the UK who own more than one car is increasing each year also...

Hmm I heard on the news that areas of the uk are now poorer than the poorest in Poland

TBH Nissan have a pretty awful image.

In the UK, the last 20yrs, we've had Primera's, Micra's, and Almeira's.... All pretty reliable, well engineered, but harder to think of many things duller.

Thinking about it though, you don't see a lot of new high performance jap cars on the road any more. Back when the 350Z was in its sales pomp, it was pretty common to see new Scoobies and Evo's on the roads, now a rarer and rarer thing.

It's too big , it doesn't have good storage space , it's too expensive to run , the engine and box are pretty unrefined for a £30k car, it's a Nissan

Obviously given you've got a 70. It is a biggish car, it doesn't have any storage space, and maybe it's a little unrefined, but heck it's a sports car!

People are all getting a bit soft these days, the rawness and size of a Zed is part of the joy of throwing the thing around the roads, twisties and it just keeps asking for more!!! The it's a Nissan comments really annoy me, not a personal jibe at all. ;) That's actually a good thing, because you're not tossing around in a "labeled" car that you've paid a fortune for the badge, and often a very unreliable car. And yes, I do have "labels" too.

Its a biggish car in the same sense as a Land Rover Disco is a biggish car ? They are similar widths , its mahoosive and the storage is woeful the 350 has much more useful room

Its also no sports car in my opinion, sure it handles well enough and its quick but its a big car to muscle around, the GT badge is there for a reason because thats what it is.

There are lot of really good reasons the 370z hasnt been a huge commercial success but some really crappy cars sell really well and some great cars dont sell at all , thats just a fact

The thing is because the reasons I listed the 370z is not a great daily driver, however it makes a great weekend car , that's why mine is and I love it , its flaws don't matter to me, but if I was paying £35k for a weekend car it wouldn't be a new Nissan , and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Yeah but that's the US, European brands are much more likely to be stronger here. I would bet a dollar that local American sports cars outsell the 370z hugely in the US?

I'll look up the figures for American sports cars, but I suspect you're right. However, BMW at least, have a huge presence in the U.S, loads and loads of Euro Boxes over there but very few Z4's, not sure about Audi though and American sports cars sell in minute quantities outside of The U.S and Canada. What really matters though is worldwide sales, the 350Z was considered a huge success but I wouldn't be surprised if sales of it in The U.K were higher than the rest of Europe put together?

I should add that Nissan sold 70,000 vehicles in The U.K last year, Toyota sold 47,000 and for some strange reason The U.K is the only country in the world where Nissan outsell Toyota. BMW sales 73,000, Audi over 100,000.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Yeah but that's the US, European brands are much more likely to be stronger here. I would bet a dollar that local American sports cars outsell the 370z hugely in the US?

I'll look up the figures for American sports cars, but I suspect you're right. However, BMW at least, have a huge presence in the U.S, loads and loads of Euro Boxes over there but very few Z4's, not sure about Audi though and American sports cars sell in minute quantities outside of The U.S and Canada. What really matters though is worldwide sales, the 350Z was considered a huge success but I wouldn't be surprised if sales of it in The U.K were higher than the rest of Europe put together?

I should add that Nissan sold 70,000 vehicles in The U.K last year, Toyota sold 47,000 and for some strange reason The U.K is the only country in the world where Nissan outsell Toyota. BMW sales 73,000, Audi over 100,000.

Pete

Based on that information (Audi sold 100,000) its true what they say "A fool and his money are easily parted"

• Like 1

The way things are ATM, you either have money or you don't. Very few people are willing to part with 30k that arn't willing to part with 40 or 50k.

There seems to be a big gap at present between those that can afford to live and those can afford to spend, particularly amongst young people. What I'm saying is if you can afford to blow 30k on a sports cars odds on you can afford to spend more, so you likely will on something that appeals to you more.

And much as I hate to say it, having driven a 996, a Cayman, a M235i , an M435i and a Nismo 370 this week, IMO its dynamically not good enough Still too heavy, and still not quite engineered as well as the German cars.

And much as I hate to say it, having driven a 996, a Cayman, a M235i , an M435i and a Nismo 370 this week, IMO its dynamically not good enough Still too heavy, and still not quite engineered as well as the German cars.

And the price differences, with the same spec (or as near as)?

Price differences: The 4 was a little bit more expensive TBF, the 2 starts from £32K and the Cayman was a year old so actually they were all about the same as a Nismo 370. The 2 was a loaded demonstrator and had better equipment (adaptive suspension, DSG, excellent stereo) and was £38K with 1000 miles and I thought all three had a better interior generally. Basically, they are all bang in my price range.

Thoughts? The 4 series is a lot like the 335, quick but not fast, handles nicely but not particularly sharp and generally a bit soft for me. Its very pretty though and makes a decent GT car.

The 2 series is a serious weapon, very reminiscent of the 1M in the way it steers and holds the road but more refined. Its quick too, and the gearbox is an absolute delight, I usually prefer stick but was disappointed with the manual in the 4 after the 2. They look pretty good too, Im very, very tempted, the drive is really involving and rewarding, seriously good car.

The 370 isnt a bad car by any means, Id be happy with one but the Cayman and the 2 just feel more sorted and alive than the 370 - both have active suspension systems, both have incredible gearboxes and feel like the next generation to me, the same as a 350 feels compared to a 200SX for instance. They just feel better developed, I found the 370 a bit bouncy on poor surfaces and was disappointed by its ultimate grip - I had the traction control going most of the time I was driving it but didnt get a flash from the 2 on a similar drive. Well, not that I noticed anyway ;)

The 370 is the best looking, but its the oldest and it feels it, I also dont think its the step forward from the 350 it should have been. The Cayman is generally acknowledged as one of the best handling cars ever and just keeps getting better, the 4 series is beautiful and is a classy drive, and the 2 Series is a definite improvement on the 1 Series, which I already rated as one of the best drivers cars out there :)

• Like 1

In life there are certain cars, like many things, that stand out. Eg Phones Nokia N95 8GB, Samsung S3, iPhone 4 etc but the next in line may not live up to the expectations of the prior model. The 370Z is a great car don't get me wrong but a GTR will be my next step forward when I can afford to run one :thumbs:

In life there are certain cars, like many things, that stand out. Eg Phones Nokia N95 8GB, Samsung S3, iPhone 4 etc but the next in line may not live up to the expectations of the prior model. The 370Z is a great car don't get me wrong but a GTR will be my next step forward when I can afford to run one :thumbs:

Well the GT-R seems to come with a serious leg-up in running costs. Do the math very carefully...

Stuff

Great write up, cheers bud :thumbs:

As much as I think the 4 is the better looking car, it seems to be carrying an awful lot of bulk if you look at the figures. I'd have the 2 any day, unless I was desperate for the extra room.

Isn't the gearbox the 8-spd auto though, not a dual-clutcher?

Its an 8 speed auto but if there isnt some kind of trickery involved Id be surprised, its incredibly fast on the change, up there with the GTR and PDK.

Strongly advise you go have a rip in one, the M2 is supposed to be out soon which will be epic if this thing is anything to go by.

I love my nissan. I had a burnt orange 350z.. Loved it, sold it and hot an M3 e46 convertible SMG. Bloody hated it. Work picked up do I brought a le-mans blue 370z and I love it. I'm 29,no kids,so the fuel bill doesn't bother me. The car gets do much attention as people don't know what it us due to its rarity. Some mistake it for a 350z but I'm quick to put them right. Looked at a porsche on my 20k budget, but a lot of money for an older car. Glad I chose the nissan. My friend has a GTR to which this will be my next motor. I've drove a porsche and the GTR. If your wanting a 3hr long trip to the coast then it's the porsche but if you wanting shear power and a smile you will choose the GTR. It's do rewarding in sooo many ways. Nissan really have set the bar with the GTR. each to there own though :-)

Well the GT-R seems to come with a serious leg-up in running costs. Do the math very carefully...

Hence why I still have my 350z :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Not a lot to do with the Nissan badge, in The U.S.A sales of The Zed series held up much better than The Z4 or The Audi TT, only Porsche did better.

Cars Sold in The U.S.A

Z4...........2004.......13,654, 2009..........3,523

350/370..2004........30,960, 2009.........13,118

Audi TT...2004........5,275, 2009............1,935

Porsche..2004.......31,473, 2009..........19,696 (Total sales of all Porkers)

Maybe our American cousins don't have the same badge snobbery as us though. I will attempt to dig out further sales figures when I get a spare few hours.

Pete

Not a lot to do with the Nissan badge, in The U.S.A sales of The Zed series held up much better than The Z4 or The Audi TT, only Porsche did better.

Cars Sold in The U.S.A

Z4...........2004.......13,654, 2009..........3,523

350/370..2004........30,960, 2009.........13,118

Audi TT...2004........5,275, 2009............1,935

Porsche..2004.......31,473, 2009..........19,696 (Total sales of all Porkers)

Maybe our American cousins don't have the same badge snobbery as us though. I will attempt to dig out further sales figures when I get a spare few hours.

Pete

Remember this a country where Hyundai is a big seller, in fact Hyundai's sell the most here in the USA only second to S Korea. So I guess you have a valid point about badge snobbery.

Being a large country geographically over here in the USA, I too do not see that many 370's around, sure since April of 2014 when I bought mine, I have seen about 7 in total and I have done about 8 K miles in mine since. However, I do also prefer the rarity of this car as well. I could have quite easily of purchased a 2014 Mustang GT or a Camaro, but they are as they say here Dime to a Dozen, all over the place. Not that I dislike them mind, but still I prefer to have something a little less common.

Just sat through almost an hour of reading through the PH thread and quite frankly got bored with it as I think the 350Z was mentioned far to much comparatively when the article was supposed to be about the 370Z. Also not everybody buys cars for economy I used to have a BMW M5 4.9l V8 and when using It for work averaged 6.9 mpg and the best I ever got was 26 mpg on the motorway. At the moment I own a 2013 BMW 120D M Sport Plus which looks like any other 1 Series M Sport hatch in the range, it is nice to drive and build quality is good, averages almost 50 mpg but its dull as dish water and boring, so to replace it I ordered a 370Z Nismo a few weeks ago :teeth:.

• Like 4

Good read thanks for sharing.

However most are complaining about poor fuel economy though but it's no worser than other similar big 6pot engines.

These 370z are more rare than the 350z and will hold better value in the long run.

I think the car is underrated it's alot better than the reviews it gets.