For Sale

Prices in For Sale Adds  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Prices in for sale adds

• Must always be added to the OP's post. OP must do it. Post will not be approved if no price is displayed
    • OP can leave the price and be open to offers
    • Left to the teams discretion as to whether the price is on or not.

After a response from a mod on the for sale section I thought I would raise this.

A recent add had no price, open to offers, apparently this is down to the mods descretion as it says "should" state a price, not must! It also says at the very top of the guidelines, these rule "should" be followed, does this also mean its up to the mods descretion wether it contains a photo, user name or photos?

Surely this makes it very vague? What would deem any add not to have a price? I have also seen adds locked for not having a price? If your not sure on price there is a whats its worth section! Or ebay if you want a bidding war?

Either guidlines are followed or there is no point having them if they can be left open for interpretation!

It's always been at our discretion.

I quite often approve an ad with no price and then give the OP a prod to add a price quickly.

Threads are not "locked" for having no price. A mod would not approve it if they felt that way about it and you wouldn't see it on the forum at all.

I must agree with Jet on this, it is a pain when you see something in the for sale section without a price, and say open to offers. It just starts a bidding war. If someone is open to offers, they should Put a price and then go ONO.

It's always been at our discretion.

I quite often approve an ad with no price and then give the OP a prod to add a price quickly.

Threads are not "locked" for having no price. A mod would not approve it if they felt that way about it and you wouldn't see it on the forum at all.

So why allow the post only to prod to put up a price, or why not allow an add as it doesnt have a price. I cant think of any reasons that doesnt need a price to be put, why does it need to be discretionary. Just seems your making more work for yourselves and tricky for buyers knowing your having a bidding war!

If an item is for sale, it has a price, if its open to offers, its an auction!

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Lexx, May 15, 2014 - .
Hidden by Lexx, May 15, 2014 - .

Additionally.

You raised the point as a report, it was discussed by the team, a response was given to you.

Just because you don't agree with that response doesn't mean you should instantly go public to get support.

A decision was made by the team. End of.

There seems to be a missing post on this thread from Lexx saying additionally I was informed about the decision on the reported post, I wasnt, a 2nd attempt re pm and and told to air my views, which i am to which I am and seems there is some agreement.

Being "told end of" is hardly a clarification, simple question then, do we have to put up a price or not?

Had another look at the rules in case I wasn't getting it. Have to say they look fine to me, we're not running a commercial company with pages of small print in case we are open to litigation. Arguing about "should" or "must" is a moot point it means what it says you should put a price on your goods. Its worked well for the past 5 years that I've been on this site so why fix what isn't broken.

Every add should have a price. This should also be the case for Traders IMO. If they want to offer a better deal then thats fine to do it by pm however this pm for a price carry on is a joke.

• Like 1

+1 to Neil

What if someone who sells the same item each week - FOR EXAMPLE Ian's bonnet struts, if there was no set price, whats to stop Ian changing the price dependant on users.

I know that scenario is a little different to a quick sell of one item, but same goes... Someone could get really ripped off if they don't know the market for the item.

We're a friendly helpful community/family/forum. When we see something up for sale and feel it's over priced/under priced. We don't comment to say the seller is a dick, we do it to help both parties - A to sell the product quicker and B to save someone spending over the odds on something that can be much cheaper else where.

Had another look at the rules in case I wasn't getting it. Have to say they look fine to me, we're not running a commercial company with pages of small print in case we are open to litigation. Arguing about "should" or "must" is a moot point it means what it says you should put a price on your goods. Its worked well for the past 5 years that I've been on this site so why fix what isn't broken.

No one is arguing, its a discussion, i was told by a mod to air my views, which is the nature of thread.

I just dont get the, "its at the discretion of the mods", why would a mod choose to allow some adds without a price and not allow others, or even as Lexx says, nudge a member to put up a price, either allow for sale adds as "open to offers" or post a price, not discretionary!

I should add i think the for sale section on here is fantastic because of the "rules/guidelines" because most people follow them to the letter, open them up to interpretation and it quickly becomes a bun fight!

Still stand by the simple fact we all mostly adhere to, if you have something for sale, you know whats its worth or you know what you want, ebay is for offers and bidding wars!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Up front pricing is nice and easy for everyone and most importantly transparent. However, I think the mods having discretion is essential, there's a big difference between a For Sale post not being approved because it's stoking a bidding war, and one being approved with a nudge for a PROMPT price to go up.

Up front pricing is nice and easy for everyone and most importantly transparent. However, I think the mods having discretion is essential, there's a big difference between a For Sale post not being approved because it's stoking a bidding war, and one being approved with a nudge for a PROMPT price to go up.

EDIT: Apologies, I misread your post-

Edited by Neilp

Without doing a count but using gut reaction, I would say that around 40% of the forsale ads, when first submitted, get disapproved because there has been a clear failing with the rules.

And yes we are still seeing ads being placed in the wrong sub-forum - the two 350/370 parts for sale were created to meet member's wishes :doh:

Then there are those where items are being offered for free - they might not not tick all the rule boxes, (and certainly on price alone :lol:) but we try to use a bit of commonsense. And yes, if the thread turns into a bidding/auction style event then it is likely to be locked.

But it will be good to see what the membership feel about how the rules are being applied :thumbs:

Every add should have a price. This should also be the case for Traders IMO. If they want to offer a better deal then thats fine to do it by pm however this pm for a price carry on is a joke.

I do find the whole traders being secretive about prices just plainly wrong, fair play to those that have their prices up and for all to see on a website and then offered on here for a discount. But those who want to hide their prices from other traders, thats just daft and quite frankly a bit wrong.

I think there are times when people plainly just forget to add a price, in which case the mods should give that 'nudge' but plainly ads where people are overt in wanting to field bids, should not only be locked but also deleted. I don't think bidding should be encouraged in here, if you want a bidding war, just stick the ad on eBay and be done with it.

Confusion occurs because life is not black and white.

With me, if someone can not be bothered to adhere to the section rules. Then I just disapprove it.

Some of the team PM people, but I don't.

I work on the theory that if you want to sell something then YOU do your best to sell it not me. :shrug:

• Like 1

Offering something for free does not break pricing rules as poster still sets the price!

Personally i would be reluctant to get into a bidding war. It is a for sale thread after all.

I will vote price should always be on for all adds even if that price is f.o.c.

pretty much a landslide vote. So it looks like only post that adhere to the forum rules strictly will be approved. Price has to be in the post as well as the username on a piece of paper in the photo.

In the case of the bonnet there was no username but I allowed it as the OP name was on the numberplate.

Rules are rules at the end of the day, deviation will only cause a riff somewhere.

Forum name displayed on piece of paper/card/tablet (example), date, goods which are still in the box must be opened to show "said" goods.

Price must be given to the prospective advert, and if the seller decides he's happy to accept offers to notify in the post.

Everyone will be on the same page, the add is clear, the team have clear yes/no parameters to approve or disapprove a sale thread.

• Like 1