Clarkson

Fodder

From the Black Police Officers Association to the Music Of Black Origin awards, there are plenty of examples of organisations and groups in existence today that discriminate based on race.

I agree with most of your post Chris, but these organisations were formed because there is already discrimination within the parent organisations... The Music Industry and The Police. You can't really blame a minority group for wanting to have something which isn't totally controlled by old white men with secret handshakes.

So the answer to dealing with an organisation that discriminates based on race/colour, is to set up an organisation that discriminates based on race/colour?

• Like 3

I wrote the word nigger. Does that make me racist too?

FFS folks, get a grip. As has already been said, why is it okay for black Americans to use nigga as freely as I would use the word mate? Yes, there's a certain amount of trying to reclaim the word, and I get that totally, but it's hardly conducive to making a world where either version of the word is unacceptable to be used.

@Chubbster: What would you arrest him for? And what should his punishment be?

The way I I look at it's this .......the world is chock full of arseholes.......colour has little to do with it.

In terms of what Clarkson said.......well my 54 year old absolutely non racist mother said to me the other day 'it's sort of a n***** brown colour' I nearly choked on my tea but apparently that's just what it used to be called years ago - she didn't mean anything racist by it but it blurted out non the less.

Yeah, but (and I'm guessing here) your Mum isn't a world famous TV presenter with 30 years of media training? :lol:

FFS folks, get a grip. As has already been said, why is it okay for black Americans to use nigga as freely as I would use the word mate? Yes, there's a certain amount of trying to reclaim the word, and I get that totally, but it's hardly conducive to making a world where either version of the word is unacceptable to be used.

The way I I look at it's this .......the world is chock full of arseholes.......colour has little to do with it.

In terms of what Clarkson said.......well my 54 year old absolutely non racist mother said to me the other day 'it's sort of a n***** brown colour' I nearly choked on my tea but apparently that's just what it used to be called years ago - she didn't mean anything racist by it but it blurted out non the less.

Yeah, but (and I'm guessing here) your Mum isn't a world famous TV presenter with 30 years of media training? :lol:

You know who Anneka Rice is don't you?

He's had training!!!? :surrender:

So he's had a final warning why hasn't radio 1 and radio 1 extra producers getting the same as I no I've heard on there and I've heard it on other BBC shows like Russel Howard's good news

I don't know

Because those examples haven't been blown out of all proportion by the media in some sort of witchunt.

Just like the whole "plebgate" thing.

Its interesting to see Harriet Harman saying anyone who uses that word in any context has no place on the BBC. Yet Will I Am has been on the voice for how long? Yet he sings it in several songs I believe.

Another example of a word being acceptable as long as its only used by certain people. Its either an unacceptable word or its not. We can't pick and choose whether words are acceptable depending on the colour or race of the person using the words, otherwise it just continues to fuel racism itself IMHO.

• Like 4

So he's had a final warning why hasn't radio 1 and radio 1 extra producers getting the same as I no I've heard on there and I've heard it on other BBC shows like Russel Howard's good news

Context again I guess, you could say it's not black & white :lol:

Sent from the golf club...

Because those examples haven't been blown out of all proportion by the media in some sort of witchunt.

Just like the whole "plebgate" thing.

Its interesting to see Harriet Harman saying anyone who uses that word in any context has no place on the BBC. Yet Will I Am has been on the voice for how long? Yet he sings it in several songs I believe.

Another example of a word being acceptable as long as its only used by certain people. Its either an unacceptable word or its not. We can't pick and choose whether words are acceptable depending on the colour or race of the person using the words, otherwise it just continues to fuel racism itself IMHO.

Yep totally agree there, a black rapper can use it in a song but a middle aged white tv presenter can't use it in a fairly well known poem :shrug:

• Like 2

So, is Chubster black or white, if he is white, why is he offended when black people are not, i.e the initial complaint was from a white person?

Doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to be offended by anything, what we are questioning is a word deemed to be racist but not it would seem by everyone.

My neighbours downstairs call themselves 2 poofs & a pug, which was actually my comment and they loved it, but if someone heard me say it out of context I would be homophobic :shrug:

• Like 1

So, is Chubster black or white, if he is white, why is he offended when black people are not, i.e the initial complaint was from a white person?

Doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to be offended by anything, what we are questioning is a word deemed to be racist but not it would seem by everyone.

Personally i think it matters a huge amount, if the very people that the word was intended to offend, arent offended, anyone else is getting bent out of shape for nothing!

No one is debating its not a racist slur, it is, but you even say yourself, its in the context !

And your right, everyone is entitled to be offended by anything, but as Stevo D quotes Stephen Fry, its nothing more than a whine these days, especially when you are not the subject of the offending comment!!

• Like 1

The initial complaint was from an Asian Woman. :surrender:

Asian isnt black ;) Careful, pooling anyone who isnt white into one category could brand you racist ;)

• Like 3

The initial complaint was from an Asian Woman. :surrender:

Asian isnt black ;) Careful, pooling anyone who isnt white into one category could brand you racist ;)

Na ! I'm alright the Missus is Asian...from Tokyo.. !!

(They don't consider themselves Asian, but that's a whole new can of worms.. :scare: :scare:)

• Like 1

Personally i think it matters a huge amount, if the very people that the word was intended to offend, arent offended, anyone else is getting bent out of shape for nothing!

No one is debating its not a racist slur, it is, but you even say yourself, its in the context !

And your right, everyone is entitled to be offended by anything, but as Stevo D quotes Stephen Fry, its nothing more than a whine these days, especially when you are not the subject of the offending comment!!

Yeah not dissagreeing I think the whole thing is a grey area (amusingly a mix of black & white)

When I said it doesn't matter I meant that's how things are, not that I lile it that way :dry:

Is it me or does anyone else find it not quite right that an element of black folk call themselves the n word?

I think there is supposed to be an acceptable demarcation between n***a and n***er. One being a colloquial greeting and the other an offensive racial slur.

That rule is not correct either. There is a movie with Jackie chan in it where several black guys greet each other in a bar with "Whats up my n***a". Jackie Chan wanders up to the bar and not being from around those parts says the same greeting, and then a fight ensues.

This is a tongue in cheek movie representation of the word being claimed as general banter between one group, which suddenly becomes offensive if anyone else uses it. Which is rather stupid and pathetic if we think about it.

Racism for the best part seems to be something the media likes to stir up for reasons I don't understand.

The reality is racism isn't anywhere near as common as what we are led to believe.

I know several black people and all of them are way more relaxed over the N word than what you'd imagine. Infact they make jokes about it and often talk sarcasticly of it.

Some people need to grow a set and quit being offened so easily.

• Like 2