Clarkson

Fodder

Sadly and rather ironically I personally feel Chubster is the biggest racist on this thread! Actively enticing racial hatred for what, a recital of a rhyme by which all account the word was mumbled, probably knowing full well someone like Chubster would play out the magic race card!

He hasnt said, i f ing hate niggers ffs, or burned poppies on remembrance day, so stop looking for something that isnt there to fuel your hate of the man and bolster your own racism, focus on actual race crimes, not a softly spoken word contained within a bunch of other non offensive words.

I also seem to remember Clarkson giving his car from the usa series to a black family, what have you done to help people of a natural disaster, white or black?

• Like 2

Sportsman's bet?

Yeah, go on then! Tell you what, let's make it interesting: £5 to a charity of your choice if he gets the boot over this in the next two weeks.

The charity the forum are raising money for this year via the Wales raffle is for the NSPCC.......just a thought.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Of course (and you already know this, but we can role play ;) ) that both context and tone are much more critical factors in the intent of the language a person uses, than the vocabulary itself. Which is why it's so tricky to have this type of discussion online, where as with a pint, face to face, I'm pretty sure we'd all be on the same page. :)

Worked Example

You come home from work and announce, "The breadwinner hast returned to the homestead. Fetch me a flagon of the frosty brew at once buxom wench, with a tray of your finest savoury treats and skimp not on the cleavage bearing". You could end up with either a cold one and some twiglets and a wry grin (on a good day) or a string of expletives and a wet head with a twiglet up your nose (on a bad one). Both would be totally reasonable responses :lol:

Now in a meeting at work with an external 3rd party, if you were to say, "Be quiet dear wench, for the menfolk doth discusseth the number of guineas this here IT contract be worth, busy yourself with the tea making and biscuit wrangling". You'd be getting a P45 every time! :lol:

Oh absolutely, I completely agree with you. As Chesterfield was getting at quite perfectly, it's the double standards that mean that isms just carry on. We can't very well turn around and say that one ism word is completely unacceptable, when we turn a blind eye to others. Either we accept that an insulting word is always going to be used, or we ban everything. Neither is particularly great, but the former more practical.

If a black guy comes up to me and calls me a pasty-faced bellend, I'm going to be more upset about the bellend part than the racial slur. If I reverse the whole situation, then you know the insulting part will be reversed too. Not saying either is right, it's just a fact of life. Nigger will always be seen as the final insult towards black people. Perhaps that's one word that should explicitly be outlawed? I don't know.

Here's a question then, to look at the subject of isms from a different angle:

If I jokingly call my wife a wench (which I do, often!), am I sexist?

Not "Is it a sexist term?", because I think we can probably all agree it is, but does my using it make me sexist?

Of course (and you already know this, but we can role play ;) ) that both context and tone are much more critical factors in the intent of the language a person uses, than the vocabulary itself. Which is why it's so tricky to have this type of discussion online, where as with a pint, face to face, I'm pretty sure we'd all be on the same page. :)

Worked Example

You come home from work and announce, "The breadwinner hast returned to the homestead. Fetch me a flagon of the frosty brew at once buxom wench, with a tray of your finest savoury treats and skimp not on the cleavage bearing". You could end up with either a cold one and some twiglets and a wry grin (on a good day) or a string of expletives and a wet head with a twiglet up your nose (on a bad one). Both would be totally reasonable responses :lol:

Now in a meeting at work with an external 3rd party, if you were to say, "Be quiet dear wench, for the menfolk doth discusseth the number of guineas this here IT contract be worth, busy yourself with the tea making and biscuit wrangling". You'd be getting a P45 every time! :lol:

Agreed, context is everything.

They interviewed some fellow tv personalities yesterday and as Paul Merton quite rightly said Clarkson should never have even gone there. it`s as simple as that.

Yes the race argument will be played out..................... did clarkson mean to be racist ?.......... I doubt he considered it at the time.......... did clarkson make a bad error of judgement, then yes he did.

Should that cost him his job, in simple terms no, as the footage was not used in the show and if it had not been leaked no one would have known. Proving really that he did not want it known as he realised how bad it could look so he is aware of its impact.

Many tv stars use swear words that would cost them their jobs on live tv but end up on the outakes VT which then becomes acceptable.

You could ague that the person who leaked it has caused the issue and therefore are guilty of inciting racist behaviour.

Should he be sacked............It just depends on whether the BBC make the decision based on the fact they feel they have to do something to show their disgust which again is really about saving themselves and people saying they are guilty by association so its a case of damage limitation for the Beeb.

Its become a race row and really it should be an error of judgement row............. If the BBC sack him another channel will take him and so it goes on....

Perhaps his lack of judgement this time will be his demise, but it won`t be for the reasons of right and wrong, it will as usual, be for commercial reasons.

• Like 2

From the Black Police Officers Association to the Music Of Black Origin awards, there are plenty of examples of organisations and groups in existence today that discriminate based on race.

I agree with most of your post Chris, but these organisations were formed because there is already discrimination within the parent organisations... The Music Industry and The Police. You can't really blame a minority group for wanting to have something which isn't totally controlled by old white men with secret handshakes.

From the Black Police Officers Association to the Music Of Black Origin awards, there are plenty of examples of organisations and groups in existence today that discriminate based on race.

I agree with most of your post Chris, but these organisations were formed because there is already discrimination within the parent organisations... The Music Industry and The Police. You can't really blame a minority group for wanting to have something which isn't totally controlled by old white men with secret handshakes.

Exactly, has to be in context

Sent from the golf club...

I once asked a deaf person, who's house I was looking at buying, if it was noisy round there :blush:

Did Clarkson repeat the word when he recorded that bit again? If yes, then that's just stupid. If not, then slip of the tongue from bygone days when your brain isn't really engaged (like mine with the deaf person), and move on.

• Like 1

I once asked a deaf person, who's house I was looking at buying, if it was noisy round there :blush:

Did Clarkson repeat the word when he recorded that bit again? If yes, then that's just stupid. If not, then slip of the tongue from bygone days when your brain isn't really engaged (like mine with the deaf person), and move on.

I'm not 100 percent since can you really trust what u read in the media but some have reported that there were 3 takes. He mumbled that word on the first two, then the word teacher on the 3rd take. But like I said who knows.

I wrote the word nigger. Does that make me racist too?

FFS folks, get a grip. As has already been said, why is it okay for black Americans to use nigga as freely as I would use the word mate? Yes, there's a certain amount of trying to reclaim the word, and I get that totally, but it's hardly conducive to making a world where either version of the word is unacceptable to be used.

@Chubbster: What would you arrest him for? And what should his punishment be?

The way I I look at it's this .......the world is chock full of arseholes.......colour has little to do with it.

In terms of what Clarkson said.......well my 54 year old absolutely non racist mother said to me the other day 'it's sort of a n***** brown colour' I nearly choked on my tea but apparently that's just what it used to be called years ago - she didn't mean anything racist by it but it blurted out non the less.

Sportsman's bet?

Yeah, go on then! Tell you what, let's make it interesting: £5 to a charity of your choice if he gets the boot over this in the next two weeks.

The beeb wheels turn slowly. Make it 4 weeks, to let the outcry gain a head of steam and you're on.

Edit - should we both have a veto over the other's charity, just in case you don't want me to tell you to give it to something totally radical and vice versa?

Sounds like a plan :)

*e-handshake*

Only just caught up here.

e-handshake it is then (although currently, if I were a neutral, I'd be backing you, because it seems like the beeb's currently suffering from another nasty outbreak of Savilitis, the main symptom of which is a weak will and lack of a backbone, caused by an overarching concern for profits. I may have given them more credit than they deserve - time will tell).

Edit - I see he's safe now - he has Farrage and Gove in his corner.

Edited by chubbster