Check your sump plate

Renegade

My car has just been for a service at Mikey's brothers garage.

Ritch spotted a corroded hole in the sump which has just started to leak through.

It might be worth having a quick look at yours.

20140327_093526_zpsbf8c8358.jpg

glad to hear he is still looking after you

My car has just been for a service at Mikey's brothers garage.

Ritch spotted a corroded hole in the sump which has just started to leak through.

It might be worth having a quick look at yours.

20140327_093526_zpsbf8c8358.jpg

glad to hear he is still looking after you

Yes he is, and doing a great job as always. :)

• 7 months later...

Holy thread revival batman!

Just had a message from the body shop saying they want me to go in tomorrow to run through a few things with the bodykit install and also a oil leak they have come across. Panic mode kicked in and I quickly phoned up to see what the problem was and he said the sump had some bubbling with a patch of rust and oil was seeping out from a tiny hole.

Anyway first port of call was to search the forum and bingo found this page which is a sigh of relief in some ways. Presuming it is a straight forward swap job with an oil change needed?

Just FYI. If anyone wants to save a few quid and avoid getting raped by the scrappy, or nissan you can use fibreglass to repair these. Admittedly I haven't done it to my 350z yet, hopefully won't need to, but done it on my winter car, a beaten up old Mazda 323f. I took it off, cleaned the oil and rust/ paint off the outside, wacked some fibreglass matting and resin over the bottom outside and out and let it set. Sticks like @*!# to a shovel and the Mazda has done another 30k since doing it.... Of course I'm sure some will be paranoid about what the matting resin might do if it got into the engine, but its likely only to be a tiny pin prick hole so doubt you'll have issues. Just one for the cheapscates like me!

Can it be welded over? It would do as a temp fix until you get a replacement, just thinking about other cars which have a welded in baffle.

I may start looking at prices so I know how much it's going to hurt when it needs replacing as it's a common thing