Advice Needed Please !! Poor day on the Dyno !

AaronC350z

Hello All,

I need some advice...Put my 2003 350z (40,000 miles on the clock) jap import on the dyno today and to be honest the results were that poor I just wanted to hang my head in shame ! the car made 249.5 bhp at the fly and 215.5 at the wheels !

Does anybody know what could be causing such poor performance... advice appreciated

thanks regards Aaron

Does it feel slow? Any other issues?

If not, then don't worry about the numbers. They don't mean much unless you're doing comparison runs between mods, and then only really on the same day. You can rig a dyno to read any numbers you want.

What mods you got on the car? You burning a lot of oil?

This.

If it's a standard 2003 car then it is totally possible that it could have lost 30bhp over the years. Especially true if it hasn't been serviced that well.

Have you had the plugs changed at all? I know that's not going to lose you 30bhp just wondered though.

Early cars were 276 BHP, but it was found many years ago a lot of them never made those figures even when new. Several members found many years ago that the cars could be down as much as 30 BHP. All depended on the engine. Some made the figures others didn't. Dino figures are only good for base lines for nodding and testing, or pub willy waving.

• Like 1

Pre map, bone stock mine had 252 bhp. 2003/52 JDM import so you're not the only one! 73k miles at the time, on momentum 99.

Once all the bits and bobs were added, up to 280bhp following remap.

• Like 1

We went to a rolling road day last month and that was around the average so I wouldn't be to worried mine only made 225.2bhp and I've got full exhaust system, air filter and plenum spacer. I wouldn't worrie to much about the numbers more that the air fuel mix is good.

• Like 1

How many pulls did the guys @ Wallace do?

These cars need 5 and 6 pulls to settle down to give a reasonable output figure.

Also ECU reset will help.

does resetting the ECU only lead to an inaccurate reading as the results although positive, are only temporary as the ECU relearns the driving style and then settles back to what it was pre reset? Not sure the time period to return to previous though.

i'd've thought the main reason why any car loses that kind of power is due to less compression than when it rolled off the production line. Not soley on that basis but that, and a mix of poor servicing by the previous owner perhaps. Plus, like others have said, who knows what power it was making from the get go.

Surely the only way to know what power it has lost was to bang it on the dyno from new to give a comparison

If cars are anything like bikes, the manufacturers tend to slightly over exaggerate power

Rob

ah right cheers for all your info guys and what im reading makes sense ! the car has no clunks bangs moans and runs sweet as a nut and tbh when driving it i wouldn't of known it was down on power until it hit the dyno at which point i was like ohhh..... and scratched my head at the figures but reading what yous are posting makes sense.. im booking the car in for a p3 service and then have plans :) just the normal ones to start exhaust plenum spacer, hfc / decat and up rev map... maybe in time super charger... haha cheers for the advice though ! didnt realise id get a good response like this ! very helpful indeed !

• Like 1

ah right cheers for all your info guys and what im reading makes sense ! the car has no clunks bangs moans and runs sweet as a nut and tbh when driving it i wouldn't of known it was down on power until it hit the dyno at which point i was like ohhh..... and scratched my head at the figures but reading what yous are posting makes sense.. im booking the car in for a p3 service and then have plans :)just the normal ones to start exhaust plenum spacer, hfc / decat and up rev map... maybe in time super charger... haha cheers for the advice though ! didnt realise id get a good response like this ! very helpful indeed !

You should see a good improvement with those plans and definitely a much more lively Zed after the UpRev. ;)

Although Supercharger is definitely the best idea. :yahoo::D

• Like 1