BMW z4m coupe.......any good?

gordy

Had my 313 hr for a couple of years, its been a great car and having fitted milltek/stillen y pipe/berk hfc's/uprev map/ mpss and alpine+hertz audio the car go's and sounds so much better than the standard car but feel it's maybe time for a change.

So has anyone got any experience driving/living with the z4m coupe vs 350z as i've always liked the look of them, press reviews of the car say its a bit flawed but owners past and present seem to love them, i'm aware the suspension needs fettling to get them to handle/ride well on our @*!# UK roads.

Cheers,

gordy

• Like 1

Don't know what they're like behind the wheel, but I saw one blitz a track day at croft in the wet. It hammered round and looked like the fastest thing out there all day long, and there were a couple of 911s, an M5 and an AWD R32 out too, so not exactly slouches.

If you test drive and like it, I'd guess they're all kinds of fun.

Cheers guys, there's a grey one at local bmw dealership, might have a look tomorrow, I guess a test drive would answer my queston if I really want one or stick with my trusty zed ;)

There is such a massive difference between the M Tec and a standard Z4, but they almost all look the same

so I find it hard to justify the extra cost of an M Tec :blush:

If it's any use as a point of reference, the non-turbo 2012 3.0L Z4 (Non-M, folding hard top) I spent a few hours in last weekend suffered from horrendous wind and tyre noise, but the ride was surprisingly subtle for 19" alloys on runflats.

It was pretty much neck & neck with my Zed (DE running 285bhp) around Snetterton but had standard clutch/brake/chassis so the M version will probs be considerably quicker than a DE.

Nice car but a bit femme - too much tech and not enough engine drama / too businesslike.

Excellent in my opinion!

Has to be the coupe though, the normal z4m isn't as good.

Amazing engine, proper manual box and great chassis. They are holding their value for the last few years...I keep looking!

Having owned and loved an e46 m3 for a few years, the z4m was something I always wanted to move onto but the situation never came about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 was uncomfortable and whilst fast justnot very interesting getting there. Bland interior as said above.

The M however is supposed to be something else.

SMD check the oil housing for leaks if getting the 3 litre......its about the only problem it has but its very common.

Z4 was uncomfortable and whilst fast justnot very interesting getting there. Bland interior as said above.

The M however is supposed to be something else.

SMD check the oil housing for leaks if getting the 3 litre......its about the only problem it has but its very common.

Cheers matey, what spec did you have again? Year/Engine etc

Not really sure what she wants, she moans the MX-5 is a bit gutless but I told her she has to thrash it, only 5 gears you see.... when I drive it with her in the car she tells me off, but I just say that is the way it should be driven...

At the moment this is kind of a very rough list

350z (313) been there done that

370z she likes them I don't

Z4 nice looking just ride issues

GT86 not particularly quick

XKR newer style

Hopefully she is changing jobs this year and will be doing very little mileage, but I prefer this option

Keep the MX-5 and I get an XFR :teeth:

Sent from the golf club...

I think mine was a 2003 plate with the 3l straight 6 230bhp jobbie. I think its called the M54 engine.

Mine was pretty highly spec'd but honestly it just felt a bit cheap. Inside wasn't great quality and looked bland. Runflats can be slung but they were spring tingling. It was quick but for a 3l straight 6 needed to be worked to get it moving.

Look good value for an early model but your also getting a Boxster for the same money which the 3.2 is supposed to be a peach of a car and the 2.7 is very economical for the power and speed.

As Dan always says get a higher miler and your less likely to see an IMS(?) issue. Dblock always used to say that parts were crazy cheap considering they were porker. Eurocarparts stock half of them.

I think going from a tuned 313 HR to a Z4M might be a disappointment depending upon what you want from your next car. When I was looking at getting a zed, the Z4 & Z4M were on my hot list of similar cars to consider. On paper there is very little between the 313 and the Z4M in performance, and from having a bit of "fun" against one on a long drive on the road, in practice, on the road there definitely wasnt anything in it. If your 313 is tuned up a bit, then you may even find its quicker.

Performance aside, the other reason I went for the 313 is rarity. Around my way, I see dozens of Z4`s every day and they look nothing special. People dont even look twice at them. The Z4M is rarer. In fact when I was looking at 313 Roadsters I found they were as rare as each other. Only 3 or 4 within 100 miles of my house for sale.

The other thing I didnt like was the look/styling/inteior and feel of the car. Sure, it felt solid and well built, and typical bmw, but it didnt really turn me on. The zed on the other hand felt like it was a naughty, fun hooligan car from the moment I sat in it.

Finally the price was another major factor. The Z4M was more expensive.

All in all, that was my personal opinion on them. Ive nothing against BMW`s, I currently drive a 123d M-Sport Coupe and the build quality of that is a million times better than my 313 zed was. The Z4M and M Sport cars in general do have very good reviews and are renown for their handling and performance. The Z4M also may well be a good investment. I lost 6k a year on my zed, and I cant see you loosing that on a Z4M. So, if your considering one, only way to tell really is to take a couple for a spin and see what you think!

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 1

Cheers Ricey, not really too bothered about it being uber fast, main reason I have said to Mary not to look at 370's is it is just overkill really, she just wants something with a bit more poke than rhe MX-5 thats all, I really dont understand it myself I love it, so much fun to drive :shrug:

Sent from the golf club...