The R33

coldel

Bit on engine bay work today, giving it a bit of elbow grease on the inlet manifold, note the bit thats done and the bit thats not!

photo-8_zpsdd45a26d.jpg

Just received my new superpro steering rack bushes which were the only advisory on the MoT which will go on next weekend. Also got some red counter sunk washers for the bodywork bolts under the hood which add to the overall 'redness'.

Big thing though, side skirts fixed! Thumbs up to Will at TGM for sorting that out, fixing both sides and respray...and looking out the window just now she is sitting very nicely looking very immaculate (minus saharan sand which I painstakingly removed yesterday), well chuffed so far with this car - loving the theatre of driving it!

R33Night_zps9c2d9db0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, plans update:

1. HKS adjustable actuator purchased

2. Turbo Boost gauge needs to be purchased, the in dash one is a bit pants - looks like a prosport gauge should do the trick

3. White plastidip to do some fun stuff inside the cabin area...

4. Have had a custom coilpack cover made up based on my own design, on its way to me today (in the meantime experimented with the below which came out better than I expected!)

5. May 12th appointment with Jez to install actuator and boost car up to (safe) limit of circa 330bhp

6. Really must change those chrome wheel nuts, they drive me, nuts - any good black wheel nut recommendations greatly received

photo15_zps9a356789.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, she had her first service yesterday, worth doing on any new car purchased. Just as well as one of the spark plugs I managed to undo with my fingers :scare:

Also found some 'irregularities' with the bulbs i.e. rear fog was a clear bulb with some melted red tape on it!

But, after 6 new NGK sparks, oil, filter, fuel filter, general clean out and other bits and pieces - was running so smoothly now, thought it was before but now it is smooth as silk, loving it. So, deserved a quick noon out Dorking way, stopped for some piccies :D

IMG_3543version2_Snapseed_zps21c7641d.jpg

IMG_3531version2_Snapseed_zpsdb9e2464.jpg

Off to H-Dev in a weeks time to have it 'turned up' bit, should be fun grabbing a few extra ponies!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, update time.

Steering rack bushes were on the last MoT as an advisory, so those have been changed out for some aftermarket ones - has transformed the steering so much more feel to the drive now.

Also, had a brilliant visit to Horsham Developments, Jez is a top bloke and really took the time to talk to me, listen to what I wanted and did the job professionally and quickly. A few garages I have used do tend to treat you a bit like an idiot, but really liked the way Jez handles his customers - really would recommend anyone in the area using those guys for work. Anyway, car is now officially at stage 1, I installed a new boost gauge along with an adjustable HKS turbo actuator - I could have pushed it up to the limit on boost but decided to give the turbo a decent amount of leeway in terms of safe boost so asked for it to be set to 0.8bar.

Very happy with the results, smooth power curves, safe fuelling, non of the infamous flat spots at circa 4k revs.

photo-12_zps2b57521f.jpg

Edited by coldel

Ceramic turbos means much reduced lag, but at the expense of ability to deal with excessive power hence keeping it to around the 0.8bar mark. You can get steel wheeled turbos but they do spin up slower, but then the skies the limit on boost - I am happy with mine as its very drivable out on public roads.

• Like 1