The R33

coldel

It is a GTS-T, with regards to pace, I think they are about on par. My one has a few aftermarket bits and has been on the dyno running 278bhp, it does feel fast. It is a different speed sensation though, the Zed almost lazily makes is way where-as this the R33 relies on the sudden boost pick up of the turbo. The advantages of a turbo though are clear with regards to tuning, you can safely push the standard internals up to 330bhp on the standard turbo and up to 400bhp with an uprated turbo in much cheaper terms compared to an NA.

My zed was standard performance wise, as is my gtst. The zed was obviously quicker off the mark. I used to think the zed pulled forever but after getting into the zed after driving the skyline for a few months I did feel the zed ran out of puff where the skyline would just keep on going

I drove both, with the R34 side and the larger front mount - admittedly there were minor differences between the two cars i.e. bov's but the front mount was definitely quicker and not creating extra lag?

It has to, the more volume the turbo has to pressurise the longer the boost takes to get to the engine its simple physics , its might not be noticeable when driving but its there

with the size of the stock turbo on a gtst it spools quick anyway, its not like your waiting on 2 bar of boost to build. it maxes at 1.15 otherwise it will pop so a large front mount isnt going to be a issue, is anything it just saves having to change a second time when upgrading the turbo. at which point youd have enough to be changing to make the best use of it.

Stock turbo maxes at .8 bar above that the fibre wheels have a tendency to shatter? The shock unit with rebuilt steel garret internals will go up to 1.6 bar but starts to tail off performance wise about 1.45

I get your logic about fitting a Fmic for future mods but below about 320hp the stock r34 one will give the best all round performance

People fit front mounts for looks most of the time , any performance benefits they give are at the expense of hp and torque lower down the rpm range where most people spend most of their time , #formoverfunction

stock tubby doesnt max at 0.8 its 1.15 like i said, 0.8 is what it runs with the 2 stage boost removed. yes the ceramic exhaust wheel shatters at 1.2 bar due to heat, the rest about the rebuild and when it runs out are spot on though, but at 1.4 bar with supporting mods youd be near the max of the bottom end anyway,

poncams would keep the low to mid that is usually lost, or being a 33 gtst a 34 gtr exhaust cam and cas with a little fettling would be a nice upgrade too ;)

stock tubby doesnt max at 0.8 its 1.15 like i said, 0.8 is what it runs with the 2 stage boost removed. yes the ceramic exhaust wheel shatters at 1.2 bar due to heat, the rest about the rebuild and when it runs out are spot on though, but at 1.4 bar with supporting mods youd be near the max of the bottom end anyway,

poncams would keep the low to mid that is usually lost, or being a 33 gtst a 34 gtr exhaust cam and cas with a little fettling would be a nice upgrade too ;)

Sorry mate but that's tosh . R33 runs .6 bar if you remove the two stage it runs .6 all the time rather than the .4 bar initially it doesn't increase the boost, the wheels break much below 1.2 the series one r33 only has ceramic exhaust wheels the series two and r34 run ceramic exhaust and fibre intake wheels and are more fragile .8-.85 is the safe limit for both but they can cope with spikes up to 1bar. It's the speed that kills them not heat.

Rods and crank in the rb25 can run 500hp it's the pistons that are the weak point , I ran 1.45 plus 50hp of gas in mine around 475hp, all stock, car ran mid twelves and was tracked as well.

Gave it a first clean up, so a detox shampoo, polish, glaze, wax and a new sticker to cover up the stains the exhaust were causing on the bodywork... ;)

Should be good for a quick clean prior to Sunday morning B)

photo_3-3_Snapseed_zpsafa084d1.jpg

photo_2-5_Snapseed_zps917a6f38.jpg

photo_1-5_Snapseed_zps758de329.jpg

Sticker!

photo_4-3_Snapseed_zpsc71c82ca.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry mate but that's tosh . R33 runs .6 bar if you remove the two stage it runs .6 all the time rather than the .4 bar initially it doesn't increase the boost, the wheels break much below 1.2 the series one r33 only has ceramic exhaust wheels the series two and r34 run ceramic exhaust and fibre intake wheels and are more fragile .8-.85 is the safe limit for both but they can cope with spikes up to 1bar. It's the speed that kills them not heat.

Rods and crank in the rb25 can run 500hp it's the pistons that are the weak point , I ran 1.45 plus 50hp of gas in mine around 475hp, all stock, car ran mid twelves and was tracked as well.

hahahaha its 0.5 stage 1 then 0.7 stage 2 boost. then remove the solinoid and it will go to 0.75/0.8 depending on intake temps etc..

yeah yeah we can go back and forth my car this your car that, we can all go read wiki etc too, but from being around skylines the past 10 years and owning and modding them from complete stock i think its safe to say its one car i know inside out.

BTW mid 12's at 475 isnt something id be bragging about, sure i done 13.2 with 280bhp then at 350bhp i managed 12.4 never ran it after that on timing gear, but was tracked at 431 on the stock rb25 before i swapped it out and build a 500bhp rb26 in it.... but i suppose thats tosh too lol

anyways OP im liking the sticker over the pipe, car is clean fair play.

Well been having a fettle this week, few bits and bobs added. Shiny stuff in the engine bay, brake fluid cover, various shiny caps, also got a universal aluminium cover for the air filter which worked surprisingly well!

Also bought a JVC KD-R741 head unit and installed it, relatively cheap at £79 in the Halfords sale but for what I wanted (USB player and bluetooth) does the job admirably.

Looking next for a full replacement bolt and washer set for the engine bay - then the big one, what to do with the rocker covers and spark cover on the engine. It tends to dominate the engine bay so decision is crucial! Could polish the rocker/cam covers and go for a red plug cover...decisions decisions

photo_1-8_Snapseed_zpsfd2df385.jpg

Edited by coldel