A Sad day for BMW

brillomaster

and for car enthusiasts everywhere.

BMW have announced this:

18189106231832932120.jpg

The 2-series Active Tourer. The first ever BMW with front wheel drive. as far as i can see, it has nothing at all to distinguish it from the multitude of other short wheelbase yet tall car mpv-cum-hatchback eco dieselbox things made by every other car manufacturer.

sad times BMW, you used to have morals and make cool cars for real drivers, but now you've sold out and made a car exactly the same as everyone else to try and get some more markets share in a sector you have no business being in. :byebye:

• Like 2

What a load of ugly old tosh!! I'm not bothered as I'm glad I don't drive a BMW with the amount drivers on the road driving a beemer who just don't have a clue about safety, the law, or courtesy.

Let them have that pile of old crock!

But I agree with your point, they wan't to get into every part of the automotive market. List their models, it's quite shocking, and then the 4 series is out, why oh why oh why...... what for? Because people don't like odd numbers? 3, nah hate the number, 5?, nah, hat the number......4 oh yes I'll have a four.....

Sorry, the Mini wasnt FWD? Must have missed that one. ;)

And when they already make:

car_photo_254466_7.jpg

and

5gt_1412920c.jpg

this new thing doesnt look too bad :lol:

and TBF to them, when Mercedes and Audi already make numerous cars that want to be vans, you cant really blame Bimmer for jumping on the bandwagon really.

Edited by docwra

Don't blame BMW, blame drivers across the world who buy them because of the badge, not because they're bloody good cars. Most people have no idea how FWD differs from RWD, so why spend the extra developing a chassis that can take it if no-one cares?

To be fair, they've said that they'll only go FWD on the cheapy 1/2 series so we as enthusiasts shouldn't notice a difference. It's not ideal though, granted.

• Like 1

It's the way of the world I'm afraid. Car enthusiasts are a very small minority and manufacturers will go where the money is. People will buy this because of the blue propellers, just like they buy X1's and X3's. To be honest, as long as they keep making the good ones as well it doesn't really matter all that much.

I don't think this is aimed at petrol heads though so looks and performance aren't in the priority list for this

If someone was in the market for a small people carrier they would rather have the badge and build quality of a BMW. If there's a market why not tap into it

If anyone made a people carrier aimed at petrol heads I doubt they would sell many

Well well well how the tables have turned... just as BMW drops the ball with a FWD people carrier, Renault picks it up again with their next twingo, deciding on a rear engined, rear wheel drive layout :D

Admittedly the engines won't set your hair on fire, but refreshing to see a small car manufacturer switching to rwd - could be a real drivers gem!

Renault-Twingo-1-690x408.jpg