Michael Schumacher out of hospital and coma

neo

This is the same brain injury that killed Allan Simonsen at Le Mans he got out of he car OK then collapsed

later.

Again this year Philippe Favre had the same ski accident and did not make it, same head injury.

Wishing Michael a speedy recovery, if anybody can make it he can.

An update on Schue. in laymans language.

First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff†to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve’ been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions� While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one.

Next are contusions. These are basically black-and-blue marks in the brain. They result from blunt forces, and consist of areas of swelling and blood that’s seeped out of the vessels into the tissues – just like when you hit your arm. In the brain, as elsewhere, that blood gets absorbed, and the damage heals. Usually fine, but sometimes leaving small cavities behind.

The third type of lesions are at the microscopic level. They consist of damage to the bundles of “cables†(axons) connecting groups of brain cells. This type of damage isn’t readily visible using standard imaging, but is often associated with “poor neurological outcomeâ€. These lesions aren’t treated specifically; rather, they are managed by classic neuro intensive care principles – maximise brain happiness and avoid brain unhappiness.

Hope this helps!

Edited by The G Man

Didn't something similar happen to Liam Neesons wife after a skiing accident? Hope he pulls through.

Very similar, yes. The main difference seems to be that she did not seek immediate medical assistance, in fact the paramedics who attended were sent away. Also, I'm pretty sure that she was not wearing a helmet.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Didn't something similar happen to Liam Neesons wife after a skiing accident? Hope he pulls through.

Very similar, yes. The main difference seems to be that she did not seek immediate medical assistance, in fact the paramedics who attended were sent away. Also, I'm pretty sure that she was not wearing a helmet.

Pete

^^^^This^^^^

As a snowboarder I've noticed over the past couple of years how many more people are wearing helmets. Almost to the point where if you're not wearing one, you're in the minority. There have been a couple of times that my "ambition has exceeded my ability", I've stacked it and been thankful I was wearing a lid.

Hope Michael pulls through OK. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Just been an update on Michael Schumacher, by his agent, had a stable night no immediate change

been monitored and a further update tomorrow. So no real change.

Stability is good so no real update but reasonably encouraging news I'd say