Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

You've been busy dan, nice work! I'm dying to get properly working on mine. Managed to swap the wheels over on Friday, but that's about it!

Wheels really suit the car actually, are they 15s all round or staggered sizes?

Hopefully we can tie up on a track day or two this year, would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe good to see an MR2 again! I had 2 in fact it was my first ever brand new car - black with red leather and hardtop - wish I kept it! Loved it to bits cost peanuts to run and service.

Then we got another one the revised shape (Same blue as yours) although did not tramline as much as the first the TonkaToy Radio was a mistake as were the headlight restyle - I loved the first shape, mini Porker !

Seems like you are enjoying yourself - I have considered getting another one and keeping the Ditchfinder but I cant justify yet another car!

Good luck with it.

March 22nd is the actual track day, just hoping for less snow this year :lol:

I see you managed to grab yourself a harness bar over on ROC, good work :thumbs:

Very jealous! Have a great time. Got a vid camera?

Yep the pile of parts in my garage is getting a bit silly! Seats, harnesses, harness bar, disks, pads, hoses, suspension parts...I keep the key safe so my mrs doesn't see :D

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Spa today ready for the trackday tomorrow, weather looks foul but I'll have a blast anyway :)

GoPro is all charged up too, I'll be interested to hear the sound quality once it's in place, it's quite noisy in here now. I've picked up a set of noise cancelling headphones that I'm using to stop myself going deaf :lol:

Probably should've put this in the MS section, really... :blush:

Anyway, vids! First one is a bit disjointed as I buggered up the editing, but even so here we go.

0:00 - 1:39 shows just how impressive the little MR2 can be, when set up correctly. You'll see a Noble of some kind come blasting past me on the Kemmel straight at I'm guessing at least a 40mph differential if not more, only to be holding me up through the middle sector so much that in the end he has to move over for me :D Okay, so you don't see up to the pit straight where I had to let him past again as he has a massive power differential, but even so you have to admit it's impressive that I was able to even hold onto him, much less be quicker.

1:30 - 5:09 show a relatively clean dry lap, which both demonstrates the sheer grip the car has and again the massive lack of power (check the revs dropping going up Eau Rouge, I was WOT there!). Also nice to see Spa without snow, unlike last year...

And the video that proves beyond doubt that 888s are perfectly usable in the rain:

:drive1 Fairly apt smiley, that one! It's a complete lap, but not from the pit straight (from just before Stavelot in fact). Horrible conditions, greasy as hell, yet for the most part the tyres hung on extremely well considering. Never going to break any lap records but it does prove that you don't really need two sets of tyres to do a track day: My mate in his RX-8 on road tyres was massively slower than me all day, in both wet and dry. I had a go in his car and even in the wet, there was no more grip than I had.

I do need new brake fluid now as I cooked mine and the pedal is a bit long, but not the end of the world. Oh yeah, and do you want a laugh? End of the day I checked my oil, and then promptly forgot to put the cap back on! Drove to the hotel, popped the deck to set the suspension back to road settings and saw the engine bay covered in oil :lol: Luckily my mate had a spare oil cap with him so I pinched that and topped back up, only lost about 1/4 of a litre but bloody hell did I feel stupid! :blush:

• Like 4

Great vids Dan :thumbs:

It looks like a ton of fun Spa and the MR2 looks a great choice for a track toy. Once I get the house sorted I simply must get involved in a little track toy action myself.

Kudos for owning up to the oil too :lol:

Thanks for posting the vids, looks like you had a great time! I did think Spa was a bit "big" for the Mr2's massive 140bhp, but still looks like you had a Lot of fun.

Edited by Meeerrrk