Is waxing really worth it??

JordanHill

This will probably really annoy many of the detailing focused owners however i thought id throw it out there (sorry if i come across as abit of a tw*t)

My question is this... Is waxing a car actually worth it?

I spent a good few hours polishing the Z today.. Applying the wax.. Letting it dry then used an electric buffer to remove then another head to make it extra shiny. However after all of my hard work it appears that the car looks pretty much exactly the same.

Maybe i am doing something wrong down the process.. Or maybe the products im using are just not up to scratch.

Just thought it would be good to grab your views on the topic?

No shouting at me haha!

Waxes haven't really got me excited so far either, been using the Waxybox ones as they're sitting about in the shed. I find a quality quick detailer gives the best bang for effort. Always picks it up nicely after a polish, goes on fast and helps with the aforementioned bead. As above, interested to know what you used.

I know it's not a wax but in terms of eye popping difference, I'm in love with a bottle of Poorboys White Diamond at the minute, that stuff really livens up my paint.

Turtle wax is probably the problem bud :)

Wax is great for keeping the car clean too, so much easier on a rewash when the car is nicely waxed. Really good to wax your wheels too...my rotas look brand new still and are a doddle to clean.

• Like 1

Waxes haven't really got me excited so far either, been using the Waxybox ones as they're sitting about in the shed.

Try a decent wax instead. ;)

I know it's not a wax but in terms of eye popping difference, I'm in love with a bottle of Poorboys White Diamond at the minute, that stuff really livens up my paint.

I love the finish that both White Diamond and Black Hole give, but being a glaze if there's not a wax or sealant over it, it'll just wash off instantly.

To the OP;

Wax mainly adds protection and depth, it's polishing that really makes the paint shine.

That. The finish will only be as good as the prep.

Im just using a turtle wax at the moment.. Maybe i need to get a good polish to make it shine really good! Anyome got any good advice on the methods and products?

Depends on your budget and how much work you're willing to put into it?

• Like 1

Even turtles wouldn't use turtle wax.

My preference has always been Dodo Juice Supernatural. Been using it for four years despite trying all the other major brands. For me Dodo is just perfect. Longevity, quality, the finish, protection, and my first pot lasted two years.

You won't need a buffer with a decent wax. A decent microfibre and some love. You'll never turn to turtle poo ever again and wonder why you ever bought it.

We all have to start somewhere have a good read around here in the detailing section or get onto Detailing World.

• Like 1

always had fairly good results with megs liquid clear coat wax. the more elbow grease and stuck in you get, the better the results (obviously).

saying that - i do see the OP's point to an extent - mine sometimes looks as though it's been polished / gleaming simply after a decent wash. although I wonder if that's because previous owners kept it well waxed....?

Waxes haven't really got me excited so far either, been using the Waxybox ones as they're sitting about in the shed.

Try a decent wax instead. ;)

I love the finish that both White Diamond and Black Hole give, but being a glaze if there's not a wax or sealant over it, it'll just wash off instantly.

The WB waxes aren't great but they do a job protecting what's underneath, which I found out of late with longer times between cleans due to weather. I've tried a couple of others, without getting wood. When the dry returns I'll keep trying to find 'the one'. The liquid Nattys Blue is decent.

Edited by SuperStu

My favourite forum post on waxing, supernatural as per above: http://forum.dodojui...opic.php?t=1873

The results speak for themselves:

DSCF5418.sized.jpg

Can see what your saying Haydn.

But people need to be able to correct their paint to that degree before they can even think about putting a 'product' on top.

And......

If they can correct to that degree they will know what to use. :lol:

• Like 2

Reflection shots have little to do with the wax/sealant and everything to do with the polishing before hand, if you arent getting those kind of results after polishing you wont after adding a coat of wax

All LSP do effect the final finish , waxes can make it look warmer and sealants can make it shine more deeply

I've have cupboards full of detailing stuff , literally dozens of sealants and waxes let alone polishes but there are two polishes and two waxes I wouldnt be without , the rest could go

Personally I find some of Dodo stuff to be tricky to use and often over rated , people follow the crowd , someone mentioned Colli 476 earlier thats an excellent product can get great results with it and it lasts forever also Colli 845 is great as well both sensibly priced as well

This is Dodo supernatural hybrid

IMG_3408_Wall_zpsccd55fa0.jpg

715400f7fb0e3408faf1fd46337f9bea_zpscb19134f.jpg

Colli 845

P1000348_zps66aaf77e.jpg

P1000094_zps482df728.jpg

P1030089.jpg

Colli 476s on a mates Jag

P1000067_zps0d69a3f9.jpg

MG ZS

P1030181.jpg

This is Zaino (Sealant)