What TV to buy...

Grundy

After some input on what TV to buy.

50"+ Pref LG, Plasma or LED

Budget £700ish Max.

Pref Smart (However my PC plugs into any way so not a biggie)

3D Optional.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1029963.htm

Seen that one, went into Curry's. They couldn't sell a £10 note for a £5 if they tried! There sales is terrible!

Anyway any recommendations from people?

Don't get plasma!!!! It's Stone Age.... Sorry. Just needed to get that out of my system.....phewwww. Anyway. Led/LCD keep an eye to make sure it has a internet connection (cat5) , very handy to sling things from your ipad on to it. PC connected is ok but much slicker if it's smart. I spent 2 months researching mine. Got silly.

Lg make most screens for all the big brands. But you must stay away from plasma... It's like buying car running on leaded fuel. ....sort of lol. That argos one is cheap but it's a re fabricated updated mk1 Saxon make to look like a ds3. I have samsung led. Very good.

LED would be the best provided it's backlit, however I have to disagree with the plasma comments. I purposely choose plasma for sports and gaming due to the high refresh rates of around 600 Hz compared to high end LCD and LED at around 200 Hz. Blacks are also better than LCD and the old age of screen burn is pretty much gone.

Just out of interest why is plasma bad? They don't need topping up, that's an urban myth, they do better blacks on average compared to lcds, cheaper. Do use more power and don't cope with direct sun light as much. But for me and gaming my 42 Panasonic hd 1080p is excellent and was considerably cheaper than a comparably specd Lcd.

One disclaimer this was about two years ago so maybe lcds have improved.

LED would be the best provided it's backlit, however I have to disagree with the plasma comments. I purposely choose plasma for sports and gaming due to the high refresh rates of around 600 Hz compared to high end LCD and LED at around 200 Hz. Blacks are also better than LCD and the old age of screen burn is pretty much gone.

Good timing lol

This ^^

And aye I've shopped at richer sounds quite a few times.

Anything t.v or hi fi related always use richer sounds, great prices and will price match anywhere, they know what there talking about and you can get five year garuntees on everything. And there just up the road from you in southampton. I got my 55'' 3D t.v from them aswell as my surrond sound had the LG for two years with no problems.

Edited by Pete87
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to make up my mind over an LG or Samsung 55" LED.

Also I'd buy from John Lewis as you get 5 years warranty as standard; they are usually priced similar to curry's too and JL warranties are superb

Don't think I'd but such an item from Argos.

• Like 1

The correct answer here is to go into a big electronic superstore, take a BD with you with good dynamic range (I use Independence Day), and try a few TVs out. Don't leave them set on the horrible high contrast, put them on their natural or movie modes, and see what you think for yourself.

Cheaper Sammys aren't a patch on their more expensive cousins, however they are generally my brand of choice. Don't know if it'll be in budget, but don't go any lower than the 7K series. 8K is where you notice the real differences. If you do buy a Samsung, then bear in mind that universally their internal speakers are completely dire, so I personally would look elsewhere if you don't have a separate speaker system.

Some prefer plasma, some prefer LCD, some OLED. Use your own eyes and trust your instincts, and if a cheap no-name TV looks better then buy that one: No point spending money you don't have to!

• Like 1