Mr Clarkson...

zippypooz

Plus if they do concede that modified cars are legit, they need to start REVIEWING them and the show already has little time for car reviews as it is. Apparently watching three more-than-middle-aged men mucking about with caravans is more important than reviewing cars...

• Like 1

Actually I find the Zed an awkward car to drive normally. The throttle is too sensitive, the clutch too heavy and the gearbox too notchy. Driven under normal conditions, I would probably make better progress with my dd (a Puegeot 207 1.6GT). Only if I drove the Zed aggressively would there be an advantage.

I'm sure everyone will disagree with this. Just my 2 cents worth.

Plus if they do concede that modified cars are legit, they need to start REVIEWING them and the show already has little time for car reviews as it is. Apparently watching three more-than-middle-aged men mucking about with caravans is more important than reviewing cars...

That's because it's less a car review show and more an entertainment show. It's why it does so well, because it appeals to more than just petrol heads.

Fortune Mazda RX7 though... :cloud9:

25277_49924.jpg

There are few cars I would pick over a 350Z (That aren't 200k+) but that is definitely one of them. I absolutely love the look of the RX7. It's just a shame the RX8 is such a let down compared (looks wise, anyway).

Actually I find the Zed an awkward car to drive normally. The throttle is too sensitive, the clutch too heavy and the gearbox too notchy. Driven under normal conditions, I would probably make better progress with my dd (a Puegeot 207 1.6GT). Only if I drove the Zed aggressively would there be an advantage.

Totally agree about the clutch, a Zed is rewarding but makes you work hard imo

• Like 1

tumblr_m2uygiDiao1qert2ho1_400.png

Clutch and gearbox on a Zed is really a let down on what is in general a pretty decent car.

I quite like the gearbox TBH, feels like you're really operating a bit of machinery, though it's not the quickest to shift - I rarely feel the need to race through the gears. Bur I think it's GT leanings, over out and out sports, quite suit me and I'll freely admit to having limited powerful car experience...

• Like 1

I think the Z is a right pain in the arse to drive in normal conditions as well to be honest. Clutch is super heavy and its a pain in traffic. The gearbox is absolutely nothing on the one my standard EP3 type R had too, that thing was really nice to shift.

Still, the Z looks way better and is still a great fun car to drive at a bit of pace.

To be honest I think I'll have an AP1 s2000 by the end of the year tho :drive1

You gotta love this forum, all the op's that are moaning about gearboxes/clutch blah blah! you all went out and got one didn't you? :p

Went out and got one, and over a time of ownership came to a conclusion that the gearbox and clutch is pretty crap, yes :p

admittedly the clutch is a tad on the heavy side... but i like to feel its connected to some bits of metal, a lot of cars with superlight clutches just feel like toys.

And whats wrong with the gearbox? any car i've driven with a light clutch also has a terrible gearbox, really long throw, inprecise, doesnt feel like its in gear when it is, that kind of thing. i think the zed is very good, short throw and direct, no slack. only car i've had thats better was a mk2 mx5, the gearbox in that is perfection :cloud9:

• Like 1

Oh and that RX7 is SEXY as hell. Love those cars man, just too much of a gamble to buy one.

If you think the Zed is a pain to drive and has its faults go try a Rx7. After having 5 in varying states of tune, from std to 501hp i can tell you the Rx7 is a far far from the easy drive of the Zed.

I did a 250 mile round trip in my Zed yesterday, from m roads, to a and b roads, a combo of slow moving traffic and nothing ahead of you and was utterly impressed with how competent the Zed was over all of it, try that in a Rx7 and you would have beads of sweat rolling from your forehead, especially if you saw queues :surrender:

And that Fortune thing needs burning, there is nothing left of a beautiful Rx7.

P.s, no more of a gamble buying a 7 than a Zed, you are just perpetuating the rumours you have read on the web. In all of my 5 i only had one self destruct, buy with your head and not your heart and you will have a car that will/can last years!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 3

Thing is if Clarkson had been positive, you'd all be on here posting links to the YouTube clips saying, look Clarkson thinks are car is awesome. He loved the S2000, and he loved the xkr, so I think I've done alright with 2 out of 3 cars I've owned that Clarkson liked :lol:

admittedly the clutch is a tad on the heavy side... but i like to feel its connected to some bits of metal, a lot of cars with superlight clutches just feel like toys.

And whats wrong with the gearbox? any car i've driven with a light clutch also has a terrible gearbox, really long throw, inprecise, doesnt feel like its in gear when it is, that kind of thing. i think the zed is very good, short throw and direct, no slack. only car i've had thats better was a mk2 mx5, the gearbox in that is perfection :cloud9:

I found it very clunky, too much movement, not tight. Short throw yes but far too much play in it even within that short throw. Clutch is really heavy and doesn't mate up well to a short throw if you ask me. Synchro's go far too early on a Zed for my liking also, lots of threads on here covering that.

Super engine, a good noise once you change the exhaust, but that transmission, its a shocker. Having got my go kart VX after the Zed, have to say the gear change in that made it feel like I was changing gear in a lorry in the Zed.