I have a Japspeed K1....

14N

....... and I actually really like it!

I know that maybe a controversial comment, given the bad reputation Japspeed have around these parts and in a lot of the cases, many of the nagative comments are deserved. But I thought I'd stand up and fight the Crapspeed corner for once.

When I had the opportunity of picking up a used K1 from a fellow forum member, I thought "why not"? I'll give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. Worst case scenario I'll just sell it on eBay. I hoped as it had already been fitted to a Zed that I wouldn't have any fitment issues - and I didn't. I went straight on without problem. The quality (for a budget system) seems fine to me and polishes up quite nicely. I painted the bungs with some BBQ paint and left my bumper 'tucked' so the pipe can be seen (Cue photo).

SAM_2088_zps5ed6b764.jpg

Now, the noise, or should that be THE NOISE!

Yes, it's loud, but it's a deep, rumble, non raspy kind of loud. I've left the bungs in as it's my daily driver and leave for work at 6.40am everyday. But it's a nice loud. I don't think I've ever driven so much with my window down before, just so I can hear the exhaust note. Tunnels and bridges are a blast and make me chuckle everytime I pass beneath one.

It has had a negative effect on my fuel ecomony though - simply because when possible, and conditions allow, I'll back off the gas just to step on the loud pedal again! :lol:

I was reserving judgement until after I'd driven to Zed Fest the weekend just gone, as I knew this would involve a long stretch up the motorway - prime drone territory. Yes, it does drone a bit, but the noise/drone you can hear is just the sound of the exhaust. It is totally bareable and (I don't think) intrusive.

It's a deep sounding, loud exhaust, that makes people turn their heads to see what it is that is coming, rather than look at you after you've passed.

And just for the record, my Y pipe and cats etc are all standard. The K1 is from the Y pipe back.

Go ahead Japspeed haters, tell me I'm talking rubbish. I just thought I'd share my experience with my own K1.

• Like 2

I have had japspeed parts from the r33 to the r34 and now the 350z, I have rad, headers, and full K1 and never ever had a problem with any parts/reliability ever, guess I may just be the lucky one. And I have had sooo many free pairs of of there gloves over the years I may put them all on ebay lol :)

I had a K1 on mine for 20,000 miles. Certainly for weekend fun only it would be perfect, when you are out for a blast and want that loud exhaust to add to the experience, but as a daily commuting car like mine was, it wasnt the most ideal exhaust system. In particular I found cruising at 70mph was mega droney, but at 80 or 85 it was fine, so your`d end up cruising at higher speeds than you really wanted to.

I think for the money these cost 2nd hand (circa £150 for a full cat back system) they are pretty good value.

I loved mines but it didn't fit great and removed for warranty work and ended up selling it. Bought the buddy club to replace and it's a much nicer fit.

The k1 is a fun cheap budget exhaust(if bought at the correct price)

im the opposite, as in my build thread everything ive ever bought from japspeed has cracked or snapped within a few months (K1 lasted 6 weeks before it snapped!). the exhaust sat on the W brace on the car and the tailpipe rested on the bumper. I found the noise unbearably loud but then I had a bigger unsilenced y pipe and decats. maybe if you leave the cats in it brings it down to a reasonable level. il never know as id never waste anymore money on japspeed products. I don't know how they survive as a company to be honest

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

im the opposite, as in my build thread everything ive ever bought from japspeed has cracked or snapped within a few months (K1 lasted 6 weeks before it snapped!). the exhaust sat on the W brace on the car and the tailpipe rested on the bumper. I found the noise unbearably loud but then I had a bigger unsilenced y pipe and decats. maybe if you leave the cats in it brings it down to a reasonable level. il never know as id never waste anymore money on japspeed products. I don't know how they survive as a company to be honest

I think the newer stuff is made cheaper to be honest. I had my stuff about 4 years ago and it was all decent. My decats have been perfect and they're subjected to some serious heat to be fair.

I think the quality is maybe declining

I think the newer stuff is made cheaper to be honest. I had my stuff about 4 years ago and it was all decent. My decats have been perfect and they're subjected to some serious heat to be fair.

I think the quality is maybe declining

I think they buy it cheap from china and sell it on in their name. to be honest I got my replacement unsilenced decats and had them on the car for about 3 months now and their still ok and their heat wrapped, that's probably whats holding them together :lol: . ill see how the cope with around 400hp as thatl be a good bit more heat :lol:

Well considering Crapspeed cost me a further £100 so that my exhaust would fit I wasn't best pleased.

Although to be fair the decats haven't cracked, melted, or fell off they did the job intended. Apart from being designed for aftermarket exhausts to be fitted. Aha that's why they didn't for my Motordyne. All because the exhausts they make are on the ****, so that's why their decats follow suit. Totally makes sense now.

A lesson for you all..... Buy an entire system including decats and it'll fit like a glove. But just the Y back and you've had it, all because it was designed around screwed up decats.

If you're happy and your neighbours are happy then you can't complain.

Just DON'T TAKE THEM FECKING BUNGS OUT!!

It has been known for K1 owners to receive warning points!

I loved mine, but then it was on a ragtop and it was the original ESR one too B)

Was just gonna type this ^^^^

The K1 exhaust was originally an ESR sourced part, and so far as I am aware there wasn't fitment issues with any of them. I believe Phil allowed the company that made them for him sell on the design to reduce his costs.

Japspeed then started producing them and that's when the problems started.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah this can be a sore subject among members ha. I've got one and love it. Flooring it is always fun. You're lucky to have level tailpipes too! Will buy another as previous owner didn't take care of it so it's a bit pitted. Clean it an protect it is my advice.

• 2 months later...

Iv just bought a japspeed back and middle with a toyosport y pipe and it sounds really nice throaty but non offensive,really compliments the v6...£350 off ebay,just need a plenum and reflash now