Picked up car, problems already!!

nowhereboy

Yea, I think I overreacted a little bit yesterday. I did expect the garage to at least check the car over before selling it tho. I'm based near newcastle upon tyne, if anyone is local and wants to check it out I'd be super grateful. I have since found reviews for the garage and all of them are terrible, seen a few comments about them doing dodgy MOT's and quick fix ups to shift cars. It's not like I bought it from a small dealership either, the place is a massive trade site. Oh well, thats another life lesson learnt.

I will give them a chance to get it sorted tho, I'm hopeful that its nothing serious.

The car is sat there on my drive dying to be driven!!

If they have such a bad reputation I wouldn't even bother asking them to fix it - they'll only f*ck it up - just take it back!

Do they even have a list of 350z fault codes?

If you're Newcastle way, I'd go see the boys at falcon performance.

Thats exactly what Im planning on doing mate. It's going to have to be next weekend now tho.

I am going to let the guys I bought it from have a look first then take it to Falcon afterwards.

I've just drove it today and everything is working perfectly, apart from the engine light being on. Just a bit of a ball ache because I left myself a bit short of cash this month, I didn't expect to have to go down this route so early.

Ease back and dont panic

If its a genuine 57K with full history its more than likely a sensor thats just come to the end of its life.

When you take it back simply tell them you would like the code read and an explanation of what has caused it to come on. You dont just want it turned out to come on again.

As its a known fault on the first day you got the car from them ask them if they will extend the warranty on this problem to three months unless they read the code and actually change a part.

You have to be prepared to leave the car with them though or perhaps get an agreement with them to get it diagnosed by an independant and then discuss with them paying to rectify it.

Best thing is to talk to them first and get them to understand where you are coming from but understand that you being short of money or needing a car to get to work is not really their problem.

Hope you get it sorted mate and dont lose faith in what could be a great car but just a bad experience.

Edited by gsexr

Do you guys think it will be ok to use for a couple of days until I get a day off to take it to the garage?

I will just use it for work and back, about 10 mile a day.

When I get paid I might buy a crap run about car with plenty of tax and mot and keep the Z for weekend use to avoid complications.

On a brighter note, heres a recent picture after a quick clean.

1044317_10152979106425068_1891791326_n.jpg?oh=03c6b66897af802dfde79c0c0fe497ec&oe=51D2A028&__gda__=1372772698_9fc61482155df53b35a5e4056c5fba2d

It's not flashing, In that case I'll wait until I get a day off to take it in. Should only be a few days anyway.

Beginning to think I've over exaggerated this whole thing and that everything is going to be fine!

Or, as someone might have mentioned already once or elevetysix times, you could do the pedal dance and find out what the problem is... er... today.

I tried the pedal dance and the light just went mental, had no clue when it started, stopped or anything. It's pretty hard to read.

The garage was whitley bay motors off the silverlink on the A19. I don't wanna give them a bad rep until I go down their and see what they say first. They might be super helpful and sort it straight out for me.

Tho I am a little doubtful of that.

Oh and I've just noticed the MPG on the dash says 7mpg

Edited by nowhereboy

Most engine management units when they start flashing puts the whole system into 'limp mode' it knows theres a problem so just gives you enough power to get it off a motorway or get you home could be the reason why its down to 7 MPG.

Can you record the flash sequence on a mobile and upload it after doing the pedal dance? we will then be able to tell you the code :)

^ this

OP record it on a mobile, it's not that hard to read.... you would have been bugger all use in the war trying to do morse code :lol:

• Like 2

There are plenty of cars to chose from so I'd be inclined to reject that car if you're not sure.

Insurance has a cooling off period too so you shouldn't be too out of pocket if you act quickly.

I bought a duff car a while ago- had it checked by an independent and found a lot of stuff wrong with it. It had 16k on it and was 3 years old with full main dealer history.

I took it back with a list of issues and the garage (well respected) politely told me they would do jack **** as the warrenty did not cover these parts. I got the manager involvled and sat him down and went through each thing. They then fixed everything that i'd asked free of charge.

Any decent garage should do the above or more. If not, and they do not rectify the car then demand the refund and get people on here to give you a hand with the letter writing etc.

As for thinking you've overreacted- if i'd just paid all that for a car and it broke down on the way home and the garage weren't that bothered i'd be up in arms about it!

There are plenty of cars to chose from so I'd be inclined to reject that car if you're not sure.

Again, you cannot reject a car just because it has a few faults. It's up to you to find out whether there are any issues before you make the purchase, not after. The OP did this, he just got a bit unlucky which happens as you can't really take a car out for a week before buying. ;)

You can only reject a car if they cannot or will not fix the problem.

Just to add, theres no saying the garage knew there was a fault either - I have a recurring fault with mine where the throttle pedal gets disengaged effectively and you lose all drive, enough to put you right off buying a car. When it happened on the test drive the guy selling it was distraught as it had never done that before, I researched it and was happy enough it wasnt anything major so bought the car anyway.

Well, I say recurring, Ive had it 4 times in as 5 years so I fully believe he hadnt seen it before :)

I know the feeling, I bought my Zed in Feb, had it for a few days and was coming home to see steam coming from my bonnet. Had over heated in Scotland in the winter,,, there was snow on the car to give you an idea how cold it was.

I had the same feeling, totally ruined the new car feeling and thought it was going to be a money pit. However the garage took the car back ( had it for a week) gave me a Mini to help me along. (cooper S JW) Got the car back and it was a fan issue, so they tell me however its been absolute fine ever since. Couldn't think about having another car that wasn't an upgrade from this. You wont regret keeping it !

Just a quick post as I'm at work guys...

Turns out Im working all next weekend, the only day I have to get it looked at this week is thursday, I'm unsure if I should take it to the dealership first or just suck it up and pay for the guys at falcon performance to look at it? At least I trust these guys and can leave with peace of mind after they have looked at it.

Obviously if they point out anything of major concern I will take it right back to the dealership.

I have drove it in to work today again with no problems what so ever apart from the light being on.

Just take it back to where you bought it from, give them a chance at least. I know how I'd feel if I sold something and then the customer comes in a week later going "I TOOK IT SOMEWHERE BETTER AND THEY FOUND THIS AND THIS AND THIS WRONG!!!".

Not that you would, but you know what I mean. :)