Smell from A/C on my Zed.

WhackyWill

Known issue (or normal operation if you work for nissan) as far as I read in the past. I vaguely remember it being about the humidity of the air in the pipes and the bacteria that can collect there.

• Like 1

AC Cleaner bomb, do NOT put on recirculate, leave and then air out after like 30 mins, done.

But yes, most of us have AC on permanently

Whats an A/C Cleaner Bomb.. ? :scare: :scare:

One of these, the spray nozzle locks and sprays until depleted.

ac1.jpg

Basically turn car on, turn on fans, leave AC OFF, leave recirculate OFF, activate bomb, place in passenger footwell, close all doors and leave for about 15 mins (get out of the car too), return and air out car for about 30mins, all done

Alex just sent me one as part of my service pack, never seen it before. Looks like a small can of deodorant, seems you pull the pin then lob it in the footwell whilst the car is running with the AC on, then duck and cover. AC bugs get f***ed up.

Sure if you PM him he can supply.

Beat me to it. Not used mine yet so pease defer to experienced Zedders out there.

How come everyone runs their A/C all the time, it's barely warm enough up here to switch it on. Is there another reason to run it?

Edited by SuperStu

I get that a/c works both ways, but I'm more of an open window kinda guy for freshness, I like to feel the wind on my skull and drink in the fragrance of Blackpool in the morning. It smells like... like... Victory.

I just wondered if there was any secret A/C Club reason for always-on, but obviously the first rule of A/C Club is you don't talk about AC Club :)

I get that a/c works both ways, but I'm more of an open window kinda guy for freshness, I like to feel the wind on my skull and drink in the fragrance of Blackpool in the morning. It smells like... like... Victory.

I just wondered if there was any secret A/C Club reason for always-on, but obviously the first rule of A/C Club is you don't talk about AC Club :)

Haha, if you don't use it much, it give bacteria etc a change to grow and spread in the system resulting in the aforementioned smell. If you run it all the time, there is much less chance of this happening.

If it's really stuffy in the car I'll run with the window down for a bit, but once I know the A/C is up to speed I put the window up again.

Each to their own I guess, but I always run with it on so I don't get dodgy smells :)

Haha, if you don't use it much, it give bacteria etc a change to grow and spread in the system resulting in the aforementioned smell. If you run it all the time, there is much less chance of this happening.

+1 on This :thumbs:

AC Cleaner bomb, do NOT put on recirculate, leave and then air out after like 30 mins, done.

But yes, most of us have AC on permanently

Whats an A/C Cleaner Bomb.. ? :scare: :scare:

One of these, the spray nozzle locks and sprays until depleted.

ac1.jpg

Basically turn car on, turn on fans, leave AC OFF, leave recirculate OFF, activate bomb, place in passenger footwell, close all doors and leave for about 15 mins (get out of the car too), return and air out car for about 30mins, all done

Thanks Bullet Magnet, will give it it a try.

Haha, if you don't use it much, it gives bacteria etc a chance to grow and spread in the system resulting in the aforementioned smell. If you run it all the time, there is much less chance of this happening.

If it's really stuffy in the car I'll run with the window down for a bit, but once I know the A/C is up to speed I put the window up again.

Each to their own I guess, but I always run with it on so I don't get dodgy smells :)

I was always under the impression it had to be on recirc so it recirculates the air over the coil to clean the bacteria. All this is gonna do without is freshen the car interior

+1

The instructions on the tin also specifically say to set recirculation on?

Any reason why this would be different on the Zed?

Edited by zDan

• 3 weeks later...

AC heats as well as cools ;)

Goes for all cars, we just never think to use it in the cold, as we associate AC with cooling

How does this work then ? It's not that I don't believe you.....well actually :shrug:

Turing the AC on when it's cold serves the function of condensing the moisture out of the air. This can helps clear steamy windows.

Heat however comes from the heater matrix which is directly plumbed into the coolant.

I reserve the right to be wrong in the case of the 350z, I've only just got one and haven't taken this bit apart yet :surrender: