"A £30k car can never be made as good as a £100k one"

wizard

Also, take the GTR for example, what does some back street tuner know that nissan dosent??

I know most manufacturers play it safe with the power in mst performance cars but its for a reason.

Your right, the main reason is budget and emissions and mpg targets, nothing to do with the performance they can or cant extract from any given engine.

Theres also longevity/reliability - a drag engine can produce thousands of horsepower but needs to be rebuilt after each pass, a decent race spec SR20 will need a rebuilt every 10K as well, thats not practical for a roadcar :)

I appriciate that certain tuners know a lot more about the GTR than a tpical Nissan Dealership, but nothing compared o the Nissan engineers who actually designed and built the GTR.

An engine is an engine, there is nothing notably special or different about the GTR engine and tuning principals are the same regardless, get as much fuel and air in as you can and get it out as quickly as possible. As a package though your probably right, the Nissan engineers created something very very good but pending on your requirements, the GTR along with any car, Ferrari, Aston, Porsche etc can be improved upon, whether that is performance, braking, suspension and even down to interior or just simply looks in some peoples opinion.

• Like 1

The 370Z is a 30K car, but it isn't far off the Cayman S, and comes better kitted out for about £25k cheaper. It's debatable if the overall base package is better, although the Cayman is dynamically a bit stronger.

However the Cayman will always be a Porsche, and even throwing £50k at the Z, it is still a Nissan. No amount of money thrown at a car changes that fact.

Same as if you nip into Sports and Soccer, and buy a £2 plain white Donnay Polo shirt, or go into Boss and spend £100 on something that is essentially the same thing. It's all in the badge and how it perceived.

For the Z car, you'll be spending a lot more money to find a new car in a similar category that truely trumps it.

Edited by Badgeronimous

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely! I just think that this debate is bloody pointless. You mod cars because you can. Like if I had a £50k motor I'd mod that, like if I had a £100k motor I'd mod thay, I have a £6k motor and I'm modding that (well ok it'll be worth 6k when everything works properly on it!)

The fact of the matter is that there is nowt more satisfying than having a car that is nice enough to turn heads but still turns the stomachs of arseholes in brand new expensive cars when they realise they're not the fastest man on the road.

I have no idea where I am going with this so I'll just pack in now and return when I have finished making my car as good as a £100k car.

Do it nice or do it twice!

You buy a ferrari and the man says "I love ferraris" and walks on because he seen the same one yesterday and the day before that.

You buy a lower cost car and put your soul into it, and the man says "beautiful car, i love what you have done. Is that a...." and so the convorsation and admiration goes. Followed by a photo.

Bud, if you must have do it nice or do it twice can you at least create a signature?

I'm posting from my phone and this is the way that it posts my signature. When I get a minute from my busy schedule at home I'll fire our lass' laptop up and change it to a proper signature just for the nerds and forum Nazis. :blink:

Do it nice or do it twice!

• Like 1

To be hones I said to my self yesterday im not longer going to mod my zed.

I wanted:

Rear roll cage

coils

front carbon lip

carbon side skirts

top secret rear diffuser

uprev + supporting mods.

and a hell of a lot more.

but then I saw a 911 drove past and thought whats the point. I might aswell save up and get that.

plus, the zed is a nice car. ild rather spend money on other stuff than just my car. So now im only going to replace parts with premium parts once they're worn, such as brakes/tyres.

My son is only 22, and has a £1000 Honda Civic, which he has spent thousands doing up, bigger engine, turbos, carbon fiber, its a shell and goes like stink.

I used to think why is he wasting his money doing this, his answer was if he spent 20 k on a brand new car, and over three years lost 12-15 k in depreciation that to most people would be ok, but to spend 1 k on a car and spend or in my view waste, 10k on mods is madness. even though he now has in his mind the ultimate car he wants and nobody else has, I had to admit defeat.

Same as on top gear when they spent 100 k on trying to make a lotus go 200 mph, they failed totally, yet they found a guy, who turned up in a cardigan, in a hot ford sierra, with one arm out the window and no seat belt, just flew past the 200 mph mark.

As they say you can't polish a turd, but certain turds, help grow beautiful flowers.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I think it's all about individual taste vs budget. Sure I'd love a 100k supercar I think most people would but within our budget which is defined and justified by our own thoughts and in most cases financial limitations we do what we think is best for us. I am the proud owner of a beautiful 370z coupe which to me is almost perfect I know there are superior cars out there but to me my zed is the bees knees, slightly modded with a custom exhaust and bits of carbon etc and I absolutely love it in my humble opinion the best car I've ever owned. We as enthusiasts of all things zed(on this forum) should be proud of what we have be it standard or modded to the max but to compare them to 100k super cars is apples and oranges. Leave the super cars to the super car forum let's be proud of our zeds. Rant over. My opinion only to which we're each entitled.

Ps if I had 100k ish budget for a car then it would be a jaguar xkrs mmmmmm but for now zeds rule ;)