Two-way radio recommendations?

Doing a euro-cruise next month with a couple of other cars and just wondered if anyone had experience with two-way radios. Are they worthwhile or too much hassle re batteries, charging, reception quality etc? Craplins do a 4-pack for £100 but I'm suspicious of anything they sell because it usually last 3 days before dying. Any guidance much appreciated...

Don't go cheap. You want a decent set with a wide range. Mine are from Motorola and said 5 mile distance. However this is in a perfect scenario. It was more like 1-2 miles in France. Newer better ones out now. Mine are about ten years old.

I have 3 set of the same with a 32 km range but hardley ever used them

I have nothing to contribute, except . . . . . . .

Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck. You gotta copy on me, Big Ben, c'mon? Ah, yeah, 10-4, Big Ben, for sure, for sure. By golly, it's clean clear to Flag Town, c'mon. Yeah, that's a big 10-4 there, Big Ben, yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy. Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy...

:yahoo:

Be careful which ones you buy, EU use different frequencies to the UK and it's very naughty to be using the wrong frequencies out there. I don't have the details to hand, but I'm sure a quick Google will bring them up.

Our group use a mixture of I-COM and Motorola, agree a frequency and then set off

And when I tag along I use these!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5531103.htm

Yes, maybe not the greatest name but they are digital (big bonus), good build quality and have a huge range. They are available at about £35.00 on eBay too

You can of course hop on to the Bay and get some more powerful radios that technically require a license if you want massive range.

I have nothing to contribute, except . . . . . . .

Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck. You gotta copy on me, Big Ben, c'mon? Ah, yeah, 10-4, Big Ben, for sure, for sure. By golly, it's clean clear to Flag Town, c'mon. Yeah, that's a big 10-4 there, Big Ben, yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy. Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy...

:yahoo:

Is that not "Pig Pen" ????? Been a few years since I watched that movie mind :lol:

On the side, on the side...................................you could always buy a cheap European Car CB Radio. Where you would put them is another matter, but with a decent mag mount ariel you will not need to worry about distance :thumbs:

Edited by choptop

you might try; www.policeradios.co.uk The owner, Richard Allport is more than helpful. There is a phone number on the website. Give him your exact requirements and I'm sure he can sort you out at a reasonable price for a job lot.

Interesting outlet store! Bet they're pretty decent quality given that the taxpayer writes a blank cheque to motorola for them.

I have a set - Binatone 550 Twin.

Done various European roads trips with others - all purchasing the same 2 way radio's and no problems.

Range is not brilliant, but still 2 miles or so.

Probably an old model now though.

Maybe, though we might bump into around the san bernardino pass! Look out for a black 350 with a very tired driver (Nurburgring > Andermatt in one day, sigh).

Will do. We'll be the the Alps region between the 12th and 17th of June after taking in the test day at Le Mans. I also have a black Zed but will be with a group of 5 others including a GTR, a 911 Turbo, a RS4, a supercharged Elise and a Monaro.

With respect to comments made by others about the legality of use in Europe as long as it broadcasts on a pmr446 frequency like the Cobra MT975s, they are legal in Europe.

Maybe, though we might bump into around the san bernardino pass! Look out for a black 350 with a very tired driver (Nurburgring > Andermatt in one day, sigh).

Will do. We'll be the the Alps region between the 12th and 17th of June after taking in the test day at Le Mans. I also have a black Zed but will be with a group of 5 others including a GTR, a 911 Turbo, a RS4, a supercharged Elise and a Monaro.

With respect to comments made by others about the legality of use in Europe as long as it broadcasts on a pmr446 frequency like the Cobra MT975s, they are legal in Europe.

Groovy - well we'll be winding our way through the swiss alps on the 17th, with a 911 GT3 and Exige in tow.

Noted re PMR446 - ordered a binatone 4-pack for £80.