Suits' Le Mans Blue 370Z

Suits

Hardly a build up at the moment, but somewhere to collate my life with the car.

Lifted in parts from another forum I am a member on, only this post though, the rest will be natural posts.

So....

**18/05/13**

After owning two Honda's since 2006 and Honda not being able to offer me anything to satisfy my needs, I've moved to Nissan.

I first saw one of these at the Nissan Promotion stand at Le Mans 24hrs 2009, straight away, I liked it.

**This is the exact car and the photo I took all those years ago**

SV400865.jpg

Two years ago work was going well and the S2000 was a pile of ageing parts so I started to seriously think about getting one. I sat in one with the boys at the Nissan garage at the Nurburgring last year and things started to become a bit more realistic, price, appeal, style and type of car that it was.

Last year I test drove one, it was good, a million times more refined than anything I'd ever owned and it was nailed on, I was getting one.

It was very tempting to drive away in one that day (new), but I wasn't that stupid and asked to speak to the 'used' department. After telling me that my choice of manual gearbox, blue or red, coupe, GT and Bose was an impossible combination and maybe I should look at a black soft top manual I told the guy to FOAD and drove home.

Since then, I sold my S2000, got my head down and tried to save as much as I could while still doing what I wanted and not being a hermit.

Now we are at current date and I just picked up my 2009 Nissan 370Z GT in Le Mans Blue .

I was browsing the forum (Wednesday Night) which I've been on for a few years now and a lurker saw me chatting to another user about my perfect choice in 370Z.

He instantly PM'd me to say his friend was about trade his 370Z back into Nissan and that it was a Blue, Manual car and to give him a call.

I called him in the morning and got the full spec, all was perfect, spot on, it couldn't have been better if I'd spec'd it from new.

He explained that he was travelling away on Saturday and that he was due at Nissan at 11AM to trade it back.

I had to move quick.

That night, (Thursday) I travelled up to view the car with a vision to drive home that night.

It was perfect.

Full Nissan Motorline service history all carried out to the date as the mileage wasn't rising quick enough. Garaged, the lot, it looks brand new, stupid good condition.

Cases and cases of oil all lined up, millions and millions of everything he ever did with the car, receipts, the lot. I've even got the original receipt from when he paid cash for it in 2010. He though I might want it for history.

Besides his obvious love for cars and bikes and the fact he's militant when it comes to his cars and the care, he was a top top bloke.

I was buying it, enough see said and done.

Drove home that night, dizzy I was so pleased with myself and that it all happened so quick, lol.

RearSide.jpg

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

FrontSide.jpg

RearSideClose.jpg

Wheel.jpg

Interior.jpg

Inside.jpg

In all, I love it. Totally.

This is a total different level to anything I've ever owned before, different level, power, comfort, toys, pretty much everything.

Gearbox isn't what I used to at the moment so is taking some getting used to, but every time I get in it it feels more natural.

The power is great, again, not what I'm used to in terms of where it is, but press the pedal and it leaps to where ever you're pointing.

4th gear is nuts.

Grip, from I have exposed it to so far, is strong and the ride gives confidence and comfort in equal good measures.

It sounds, amazing.

I won't be modding it, not to the level I have in my previous cars anyway. The only things that I consider are an intake and an exhaust, just to really give it more voice, the OEM system is super quiet and is a little confusing as to why Nissan would muffle such a wonderful sound, but yeah, an exhaust.

Track time is a deffo, I'll be taking it to Belgium and Spa next month, but Spa will be too expensive and the Ring, well, I'd not be happy with myself and the car yet to get on that fcuking thing again, well maybe.

**25/05/13**

So, I had a chance to have a bit of a snoop about and a quick wipe today as I have her home in Essex.

Having to wait nearly 18 months and sticking to my guns when it came to spec and colour I feel has really paid off, the feeling of success and satisfaction is self wnaking to say the least.

Don't think I've come across any new surprises of late, the adjustable rev counter is cool as is something else called 'Maintenance' which I am yet to explore in the computer, had a look at the boot, yes, it has one, very very small though, almost pointless as it's so shallow.

Found MORE oil packs in the recess in the boot, I now have three of these.

null-50.jpg

Oil is cool, currently running 5W-30 Magnatec, as per Motorline Nissan who look after my car.

Common issue is oil temp getting too hot when on track, simple fix, fit an oil cooler. Anything over 130'c the car goes into limp mode and can take up to 40 minutes to cool and clear.

£880 at Abbey Motorsport.

Thing is though, I want it all to work, look good and try to retain as much OEM as poss, so that will be a for sure, probably first mod.

Dat engine. Pull's like a slave, constant.

Needs some filters or something though, only for the sound, why oh why did Nissan make these carts so freaking quiet !! CAT back is a long way off, mainly due to the cost and I want new, maybe Stillen.

Also, the need is no longer to rev the tits of the engine to get the best out of it, changing early seems to reward you with a hefty boot in the ass, as peak torque comes in at about 3000rpm, so a little short shift here and there lends itself well to launch you effortlessly out of junctions, roundabouts, anything it can get traction on really.

That said, I'm still yet to find that more addictive than 9000rpm gear changes. Yet.

Engine2.jpg

Gave it a bit of a clean and tried to take a picture. Neither of which I hold any real passion or skill at.

Inside, still a great place to be, the stereo is jokes, has like 7 speakers and a woofer, all BOSE. Even Will Smith is jealous of this.

Interior-1.jpg

Wheels, these are class, forged RAYS, uuuurrrrrrnnngggghhhhhhhh....

Wheel2.jpg

Wheel-1.jpg

The rest is just blue steals, off to Spa and Germany with my mates in a few weeks, I'll be going just as a driver, no track time, I missed the boat on that and I'm skint now too anyway, lol.

Bumside.jpg

Side.jpg

Otherside.jpg

Shine.jpg

Topside.jpg

Edited by Suits
  • Like 1

B) Very nice :thumbs:

I know you're just saying that, unless you can read like a demon :lol: .

In other news, can anyone, tell me what this is, if anything.

I guessing just some sort of lube/protection/oil/stuff.

Looks a bit messy though, saw it when I opened my bonnet today.

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

B) Very nice :thumbs:

I know you're just saying that, unless you can read like a demon :lol: .

2 Minutes is plenty of time to read that :thumbs:

The gunk of probably the wax that is put on cars when they come out of the factory for transportation. Should come off with a steam clean :thumbs:

• Like 1

The gunk of probably the wax that is put on cars when they come out of the factory for transportation. Should come off with a steam clean :thumbs:

Cool man.

First takes, was, 'bugger, what's that ?' but as rational set in I thought it might have been some sort of sealer or contact oil.

It can stay until it gets on my nerves.

When I was a student I used to work down the docks . . . Ello Sailor ;) . . . . . . :lol:

Anyhow, some poor buggers spent their day steam cleaning the wax off of cars as they were unloaded from the boats. They typically did a shite job of it . . glad that was not my job else every car would have taken 3 times as long :lol:

You could just pour hot water on it when it gets on your wick, but a steam clean would be better :thumbs:

the other "mod" to consider is changing those damn awful Bridgestones - until I did mine, I didn't realise how bad they were - consider the Pilot Super Sports - Will is raving about them - I got the Sessantas (absolutely brilliant as well - but being discontinued)

tyre road noise now gone

crabbing when cold now gone

tramlining now gone

grip levels now even more amazing

• Like 1

the other "mod" to consider is changing those damn awful Bridgestone's

YES !!

Tell me about it.

Never been a fan and I'm still not.

When the time comes I'll switch up.

Super Sports hey, I'll bare that in mind, thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Brilliant write up love the car and your enthusiasm suits! If you want more exhaust noise get some berk hfc's. That way its more noise for not as much money as the cat back. Plus itll be better when you get a rev up ;)

• Like 1

Brilliant write up love the car and your enthusiasm suits! If you want more exhaust noise get some berk hfc's. That way its more noise for not as much money as the cat back. Plus itll be better when you get a rev up ;)

Cheers man :) .

Yeah, HFC's could be the way to go, but I expect I'll get it all done in one swoop, Up-Rev - Exhaust system, etc....

Better brakes. This is what it needs IMO.

Not the fact that brakes don't work, they just get hot vey quick I feel.

Might be to do with the fact that she's a busty girl, coming in at 200kg's more than the S2000, or the fact that it builds speed at a monumental level without any fuss at all.

Or, could be the fact that I'm used to systems that can take more heat before they start to fade.

Either way after a little bit of fast road driving, you can really feel the heat in the brakes, having to press harder for less bite.

This would pull me in quicker on track than the oil temp would I think.

I'll probably go down the tried and tested route of DS2500's, fluid and lines first, see what that brings.

The GTR lines are a popular upgrade aren't they ??

Hopefully, as it did in the S2000 this will open the window of usage temps up much more so that when pressing on you get more use at hotter temps.

I felt the stability control for the first time yesterday, on purpose I may add.

I paid a visit to a friends farm and tried to get the BBW to move a bit, coming in hot, turning in off the power, then just booting it, results in, much as you'd expect a quick shove in the back, few lights flashing, a dip in power applied and then you get shuffled around the cones/corner.

Feels really weird, still quick, but without having to wrestle and fight it to get around. If you're mental you'll turn the traction control off and really let loose, however, doing that on the Nurburgring will require bigger balls than I have at the moment, so I'm quite happy to let the tech do the catching at the moment when I go in like a hero and get it wrong, something the S2000 didn't have, lol.

I got 27.6 MPG driving down to Wales, that's about 220 miles, I also drove through town, down Embankment etc, so it had a proper variation on driving, I'm very pleased with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got back on Tuesday after a road trip to Belgium and Germany for a track day at Spa and few laps of the Ring as we were so close.

It was the first chance I've had to spend a long time with the car and I was looking forward to getting more familiar with it's extra weight, power delivery and characteristics.

The car didn't miss beat the whole time, performed admirably and gave me and my co-driver a comfortable and cool (it was 30+ degrees) trip.

Now, due to the sooner than planned purchase of the car, I didn't book any track time at Spa and was hoping to get some track time on the day, or a half day or whatever.

We went over with, 370Z, Integra Type R (DC5), BMW 135i, Honda S2000, Civic Type R (EP3), Boxster Spyder, TGM Race Car and a Z4M. Oh and a van and trailer for the race car.

Unfortunately the day was full and nothing was available :( , not so bad as I've down two track days at Spa before, but the weather was perfect and I had a ready to go 370Z just sitting there. So I just knocked about did a few PAX laps with my mates that were there and generally chilled out, although I was pretty gutted to be honest.

We shared our garage with a Race Spec F40 !!!

Oh and Tom from TGM brought his TGM DC5 race car over and blew it up, lol, Tom was driving it at the time and it threw a con rod, that ultimately, blew oil onto the exhaust, which caught fire, lol, - Red Flag, Marshall's the lot, lol.

998135_10151700400841093_206679398_n.jpg

Failure also presented me at the Ring, we drove down, which if you know the area and surrounding roads is excellent anyway, had a walk down to Flugplatz watched for a bit, grabbed some schnitzel and went to do a few laps, just as we were about to get on there was a closure for a little prang somewhere, it was shut for an hour. When it opened again, they were lettimg cars on as quick as they could get the barriers up and down :rant: , which just cause mass traffic and often another accident.

With that, a poor biker got tagged and died :( .

So half an hour after it was opened again, it was closed for the rest of the Sunday - so we went back to Belgium.

Then on the Monday there was that big GT2 smash on there at Flugplatz that caused all that furore over on Bridge2Gantry last week.

With, to be honest, I do agree with.

It's all good, though, we're going back in September hopefully, if I can bribe the Mrs, lol, so she'll get her Ring baptism then. My laps will keep on my Ring card until then, I think it's December they fall off, which again is something ridiculous.

The Nurburgring over the last 5 years has gone all wrong, they wasted all that money on stuff it never needed and now they've alienated the people that love it most and ultimately gave it its success.

Anyway, back to the car.

I did have concerns over the performance of the cars OEM brake system, with fade coming in a little too quick on a few occasions, I was going to give it a good thrashing at Spa but, with some fast road driving all seemed well.

The engine seems to be best settled and more resourceful when short shifting at times, with the added grunt giving you all the lurch you need out of bends and keeping the chassis settled as opposed at 7000rpm.

Inside it's still a very pleasant place to be, the AC was on the entire time and with the spirited driving in places and the motorway cruising over the 800 miles we covered it pulled down 26.5MPG.

Seats are very comfy, I do suffer from a bad lower back and it hinted it at times, but a lot less than my other cars. I only found the lower seats adjusted on the way back :blush: .

Once the exhaust was red hot it give give a bit more sound, but it's stil madness how quiet the damn thing is :lol: .

Few pics for ya.

954696_10151695455291093_851568321_n.jpg

1000811_10151408889197330_1838886826_n.jpg

10558_10151400088266330_666362319_n.jpg

934970_10151400078176330_570751565_n.jpg

1005575_10151700399281093_1669269372_n.jpg

1016632_10151700395996093_671025299_n.jpg

993053_10151404513032330_866640901_n.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Little update, as it's hard to stay out of the pub when the weather is like this, but me and my mate have booked an airfield day at North Wield.

You get to do stuff you obviously can't do on public roads and less obviously stuff that you can't do on track, drifting, spinning out, etc...

Really good opportunity to switch off the aids and see how the car really behaves at speed and load.

It's just a couple of high speed straights and bends a really fun safe way of feeling out your car.

Only £49 too.

Plus I'll get a chance to finish off these nasty REO50's.

My mate is in the 135i

NW.jpg

7 people sharing an airfield for a day? Sounds like heaven!

As for pads, as you do a few track days etc, I would really highly recommend CarboTech XP8's over DS2500 / DS3000 any day.

If you want to wear down the rear tires I wanna see some full lock sideways action please! Not drifted the car myself, only a couple little slides here & there, but I reckon it'll skid very well. I'd love to have a proper go and not worry about the £400+ replacement rears I'd need before lunch lol

Here's some inspiration:

Have fun :D

• Like 1