Insurance for a 17 yr old

ioneabee

just been trawling the gocompare etc sites

a 2001 998cc nissan micra S - whilst he's learning - figures coming in around the £600 mark - after he passes, even with such a tiny car, the price rockets to £2800 +

any suggestions ?

different car ?

yeah, but what

I've tried a clio - same as above

370z...............nah, don't think so

and I don't think I'm upto a vomit green or dayglo orange mini ;)

Edited by ioneabee
  • Like 1

have you tried the insurers that fit it with a black box to track speed and usage etc, that helps lower the insurance.

also try the fiat seicento or when ever its called. maybe a smart car. i think if it has 2 seats and a tiny engine like the smart its safer as they cant cram all their mates in

just been trawling the gocompare etc sites

a 2001 998cc nissan micra S - whilst he's learning - figures coming in around the £600 mark - after he passes, even with such a tiny car, the price rockets to £2800 +

any suggestions ?

different car ?

When getting quotes put the 17 year old in as the owner and main driver and get quote. Then repeat exact information and add a muture driver like mum or dad as a named driver on his policy.

That will bring the price down. Or do a multi car quote from admiral and put all the family cars on.

I think you will be pleased with your quote.

I was I saved £2000+ on multi car.

370z mine

Quashqi wife

Honda type R 20 year old son

Saab 95 aero HOT 22 year old son

Give it a go.

have you tried the insurers that fit it with a black box to track speed and usage etc, that helps lower the insurance.

also try the fiat seicento or when ever its called. maybe a smart car. i think if it has 2 seats and a tiny engine like the smart its safer as they cant cram all their mates in

There is no logic to insurance. My first car was 1.4 16v 100bhp for a 1.1 it was more expensive? You just have to keep trying cars until you find one that is cheap to insure.

Been having the same problem with one of my mates little brothers, we have tried insurance on everything crap 2cv, metro, c1, micra 1.0 but there all £2800 that's his own policy with a mature named driver. If we do him as a named driver it works out the same how the hell are youngsters ment to get cars nowadays its crazy the insurance companyies want about £1600 deposit then ten payments of £400 he only earns £300 a month as he is at college.

Unfortunately that's how it is. Statistically 1 in 5 young drivers will have an accident in their first 6 months, someone has to pay for it, namely other young drivers. If the money can be scrambled together for this one year and there are no incidents, you'll probably find it'll cost less than half next year,

Sad but true.....the more they bump up the insurance, the more the likely hood that the young run about in uninsured cars. Then if they have an accident, claims are made, and the more the premiums go up.

My eldest is 17 soon - getting quotes for around the 1k mark, but as soon as he has a license - it rockets up to 2K!!! Go figure.

And so you reckon on getting a small box like car?? As statistics say, 1 in 5 have accidents. Would rather pay a few hundred quid more on something a bit more solid, in the event that something did happen.

Its just the first year that they hit you for and its always around the 3K mark

Best advice i can give you is pay monthly. It costs more but if they have an accident they can just transfere it to another car. If you pay it all in one go and have an accident they may want a lot more money to transfere to another car where as they know they cant cancel a policy on the monthly because you will just stop paying it.

This will be an extra £500 or so but at least you know you will get the full year for it.

My eldest had a punto at £2800, it got written off, they found him to blame and he just transfered to another punto and carried on with the monthly payment.

The following year even after the write off it went down to £1300.

Basically dont get a car unless your working and can pay for it.

Both my boys had to pay about the same.

The reason i think you see so many youngsters in nice cars is because if your paying 3k for a punto you might as well pay 4k for something sexy...if you get my drift.

They just have to budget about £60 a week which is the same as smoking 20 fags a day so its not as expensive as you think really :stir:

The reason it goes up when they pass their test is because they are now out on their own.

Edited by gsexr

I'm admin on another forum whose demographic is significantly younger than on here, and £2k+ insurance quotes seem about par for the course with newly-passed drivers - even on 3bhp utter sheds. Getting one of the 'big brother' black boxes in the car for the insurers to spy on them is the best you can do to make the cost more palatable.

Yep, just got to suck it up unfortunately.

Buy a complete shed so that if they ding it you can scrap it, only claim on the insurance if ABSOLUTELY necessary eg to pay for the repair of a third party car.

It may sound obvious but don't let them drive unneccessarily eg just driving around for the sake of it, with a car full of mates etc. A car full of mates + accident = 4/5 x personal injury claims potentially.

And so you reckon on getting a small box like car??

Think he meant a small GPS black box that charges more if the car is used in 'restricted' times.

i.e. after dark etc.

Luckily no one saw what I said. I'm clearly tired

For me when I was 17 it was just a fact of fiddling about with the quote, put you and your wife as named drivers. His uncle his auntie etc... Just keep adding more people you will find it goes down

Edited by peteman35

My first car after I passed my test was a 1.6 1995 Audi A4, it was FAAAAR cheaper to insure than anything else my friends had and I could afford the insurance on it compared to the 1.2 punto I had whilst I was learning. That was only 7 years or so ago too and thankfully insurers didn't have the black box policies then either :lol:

I remember my first 99' 1.7D corsa, had it for 6 months before change to the 2.0 Coupe... in total in one year I paid about 2K. (horrid days :lol: ) You may have to just suffer the high costs at first tbh...or he will anyway. Theres no real way round getting it 'decently' cheap when your young.

Unfortunately the type of car, where its kept etc will make very little difference, the main factor is age and experience, so there's nothing that can be done.

When I was 18 I had a 125 motorcycle, £1600 for the first year it cost me and that's with 1 years NCB. Now with 0 years NCB for motorcycles I could insure it for £100.

I also don't think the new car free insurance thing would work either, I haven't seen one that gives free insurance to under 22's for years.