Thinking about buying a 350z..

Hello all!

My names Jesse and I am thinking about buying a 350z.

Now I'm not all clued up when it comes to 'jap' cars, let alone Nissan themselves, been around the german scene for a while now. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what i should be looking out for on one of these?

I was toying with the idea of either staying german and getting another Mercedes, but because they are without handbrakes its less fun with traction control off ;) so now its down to either a Skyline twin turbo or a heavy ass 350z ! But swaying more toward the 350z due to styling.

Did they do much engine change or improvements within the 5 years that these were on production? which 'reg/model' to look out for etc? I just looked through the 'zeds for sale' area on this forum and there was an 04 plate in a boltgun grey which I am very keen on, but what different models are there of the 350zs?! haha.

So many questions, my apologies.

3 engines, 2 trim levels and UK/JDM ... that's it basically

what's your budget ?

beauty. I'm guessing the JDM is an import? what 3 engines we talking about here?

£6000-7000 max, call it £5000 so i can spend a little on upgrades.

Welcome along. Lots of info in the 350z FAQ section. Here's a good thread for starters

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/22880-guide-for-new-memberspotential-buyers/#entry342117

Had a mildly modified CLK before the zed myself, and since selling the zed I'm now in a skyline r33. The zed and the skyline are both great but in different ways. Love the skyline to bits but I will do well to own a car I love more than the zed, was a great all rounder

What mercs have you came from?

Welcome Jesse. Have a read of the buyers guide: http://www.350z-uk.c...tential-buyers/

Thank you!

Welcome along. Lots of info in the 350z FAQ section. Here's a good thread for starters

http://www.350z-uk.c...rs/#entry342117

Had a mildly modified CLK before the zed myself, and since selling the zed I'm now in a skyline r33. The zed and the skyline are both great but in different ways. Love the skyline to bits but I will do well to own a car I love more than the zed, was a great all rounder

What mercs have you came from?

I had a w202 C Class, only a 180 as I wanted a manual. This is how it looked-

418651_3243693139270_807364318_n.jpg

:welcome:

Go drive a all three and decide if you prefer one over the others compared to price differences.

Oh God, that's so tempting! I have since tried my friends skyline, I like it... But there's so much under the bonnet that I would be TOO afraid to ruin it.

What makes the new 313bhp engine different from previous models?? I may be tempted to get an 06, but the 04 shapes make me dribble!

The VQ35HR engine was first seen in the US with the introduction of the updated 2007 G35 Sedan model, which debuted in August 2006. Nissan updated the VQ line with the addition of the 3.5 L VQ35HR (for "High Revolution" or "High Response"). It produces 315 PS (232 kW; 311 hp) (US market: 306HP due to new US federal measurement regulations) at 6,800 rpm and 37 kg·m (363 N·m; 268 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm, using a compression ratio of 10.6:1. As of 2009, the Infiniti EX35 produces 297 hp and the same torque presumably due to tighter regulations. It has NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) and CVTC with hydraulic actuation on the intake cam and electromagnetic on the exhaust cam. Redline is 7,500 rpm. Reportedly over 80% of the internal components were redesigned or strengthened to handle an increased RPM range sporting a lofty 7,500 rpm redline. A new dual-path intake (two air cleaners, throttle bodies, etc.) lowers intake tract restriction by 18 percent and new equal-length exhaust manifolds lead into mufflers that are 25 percent more free-flowing for all around better airflow. The electrically actuated variable valve timing on the exhaust cams to broaden the torque curve is new over the "DE" engine. The new engine block retained the same bore and stroke, but the connecting rods were lengthened and the block deck was raised by 8.4 mm to reduce piston side-loads. This modification, along with the use of larger crank bearings with main bearing caps reinforced by a rigid ladder-type main cap girdle to allow the engine reliably rev to 7500 rpm. With an increase in compression ratio from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1 these changes add 6 more horsepower (306 total + 3 hp ram air effect not measured by SAE testing = 309 hp). Peak torque is up 8 pound-feet from the older "DE" engine (260 vs. 268) and the torque curve is higher and flatter across most of the rpm range, and especially in the lower rpm range.

Pete

What makes the new 313bhp engine different from previous models?? I may be tempted to get an 06, but the 04 shapes make me dribble!

The VQ35HR engine was first seen in the US with the introduction of the updated 2007 G35 Sedan model, which debuted in August 2006. Nissan updated the VQ line with the addition of the 3.5 L VQ35HR (for "High Revolution" or "High Response"). It produces 315 PS (232 kW; 311 hp) (US market: 306HP due to new US federal measurement regulations) at 6,800 rpm and 37 kg·m (363 N·m; 268 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm, using a compression ratio of 10.6:1. As of 2009, the Infiniti EX35 produces 297 hp and the same torque presumably due to tighter regulations. It has NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) and CVTC with hydraulic actuation on the intake cam and electromagnetic on the exhaust cam. Redline is 7,500 rpm. Reportedly over 80% of the internal components were redesigned or strengthened to handle an increased RPM range sporting a lofty 7,500 rpm redline. A new dual-path intake (two air cleaners, throttle bodies, etc.) lowers intake tract restriction by 18 percent and new equal-length exhaust manifolds lead into mufflers that are 25 percent more free-flowing for all around better airflow. The electrically actuated variable valve timing on the exhaust cams to broaden the torque curve is new over the "DE" engine. The new engine block retained the same bore and stroke, but the connecting rods were lengthened and the block deck was raised by 8.4 mm to reduce piston side-loads. This modification, along with the use of larger crank bearings with main bearing caps reinforced by a rigid ladder-type main cap girdle to allow the engine reliably rev to 7500 rpm. With an increase in compression ratio from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1 these changes add 6 more horsepower (306 total + 3 hp ram air effect not measured by SAE testing = 309 hp). Peak torque is up 8 pound-feet from the older "DE" engine (260 vs. 268) and the torque curve is higher and flatter across most of the rpm range, and especially in the lower rpm range.

Pete

amazing read thanks Pete, makes me want an 06 more than settle for an 04. Not sure if I can afford to go for an 06 though, not to mention the insurance for one!

So anything below the 06 plates, were made to 276brake?

Not quite, The GT4 limited edition 2005 (I think), has the 06 engine, these are fairly rare, only 176 made and fetch a premium price. There are also a small number of JDM imports with the uprated engine, some are anniversary editions and a few are normal 296 bhp's as they came out in Japan a few months before the U.K version was available.

Pete