Project XKR update: Rust free and kitted

rtbiscuit

For those of you who don't know this is what my XKR looked like when i first got her about 2 years ago. When I bought there car she was bought as a project car knowing full well there was a lot of work to be done. admittedly when i bought it i think iwas wearing very heavily tinted new car syndrome glasses and i did kind of mute down the work that might be needed. she is what i call a crossroad car. when i got her i was either going to run her into the ground till she died or restore her. well i went with the restore route.

so this is the car 2 years ago

Jfinish9.jpg

jFinish11.jpg

Jfinish6.jpg

Now these photos are a little bit of a lie as this was just after a full machine polish and doesn t show how bad the paint was (still is) swirls galore, its like it had been cleaned repeatedly with a brillo pad. and it also doesnt show all the rust either. in particular behind the rear bumper and in the rear arches. and under the car.

I have sincew sorted the underside, its all been stripped and cleaned and specially painted and waxoiled. but i hadn't got round to sorting the rust at the rear of the car. and to be honest i was planning on leaving it for another 12 months as i knew how much work was needed and the cost involved.

well the car forced my hand shall we say as about 3 months ago it did this to me....

IMAG0011_zps78f66773.jpg

IMAG0012_zps20fea203.jpg

IMAG0013_zps76e342ef.jpg

IMAG0010_zpsdcefeb5a.jpg

It decided to finish rotting out the rear bumper mounts, which decided to let go of the bumper thankfully in my wifes work carpark and not at speed on the dual carriageway 2 minutes earlier. but it didn;t tell me and i dalso reversed over said bumper. rendering bumper now useless. you'll be pleased to know it fits in the jag boot, as i folded it in 3 :blush: you also can;t see the 2 very large rust holes on either rear quater, or the state of the arches.

so while i deliberated about what to do i dorve the car around for a month with no rear bumper. and then i decided to bite the bullet. so i ordered a new style rear that could be used in rebuilding the rear bumper. and as i'd bought the rear i thought i might as well buy the sides as well....and then the guy about a fortnight later offered me a cracking deal on the front i bought the dront as well.

so the next job was rust removal and i think at this point the pictures say more...

IMAG0040_zps4fcf411c.jpg

IMAG0041_zpse17734ba.jpg

IMAG0042_zps55e11789.jpg

IMAG0043_zpsebb1fefb.jpg

IMAG0044_zps95060459.jpg

IMAG0046_zps0513fbf6.jpg

as you can see there was alot of reconstruction work carried out and basically new arches built and welded.

Now you may ask why change the front, well on mine the paint was heavily spidere webbed, the badge had been nicked and the grille was falling out. and the cost of the new grille was not far off what i managed to get the whole bumper and new grilles for. so i did it any way.

this is my original nose

483674_10152733795150503_2054956874_n_zpsc21dff2f.jpg

my car with no nose

48102_10152733796070503_1167679749_n_zps7af61a34.jpg

my car with new nose

554545_10152733796800503_2027342805_n_zpsc33b2859.jpg

now at this point my mates and other peolpe had been laughing at me, i had a primered nose. a rear bumper that was temporarily riveted on for transporting it. and rust, lots of rust. i think i had created the first rat look jag. sadly i have no pictures of this embarrising phase.

now at this point i don't have the fitting and blending pictures to hand. so i will skip ahead to the current stage of completion

so this is where the car is up too now. i have to add at this point that this isn't the finished article. i still need to fit arch extenders at the front, the lower grille needs adding, and the under tray fitting, also need to complete the front with the upper bumper mounts to push the top edge inline with the bonnet. as well as the rear grille and the exhaust tips adding (originals had to be cut off as the new bumper had round holes and the old exhaust was oval and now too long for the new shorter rear)

625469_10152770305385503_1149423666_n_zpsab4a380e.jpg

540102_10152770303605503_105130311_n_zpsb7d8a3d0.jpg

539607_10152770304455503_1339879147_n_zpsce2405f9.jpg

523653_10152770302780503_216472883_n_zpsd80623f5.jpg

the guys at the body shop also gave the car a quick burst of a mix of primer and tp coat to seal it all in. the reason i've not had a full paint job is i'm planning on repainting the whole car. but for now my wallet needed a breather and i want to sort a few other things out. so this is by no means a finished paint job.

now the plan was that iwas going to do most of the work myself, but because the winter has gone on so long i haven't been able to work outside. and my garage isn;t wide enough to get the XKR in and still work on it. so a big thanks has to go out to tony at paragon design who let me use his work spoace for the front and for sorting the parts out and o be fair doing most of the front fitting as he was quicker than me :lol: and another big thanks goes to the guys at Ipswich Accident and repair who did all the welding and fitting at the rear. great set of guys and top work.

• Like 2

WOW I knew you had done some bits but thats a lot of work - Looking good so far mate - Like the new bumpers as well - looks so different to when I saw you with the XKR at the grasshopper.

Gonna look B) with the respray :thumbs: