Matt's Azure Adventure! - Decats & Japfest prep Pg.21

mattross1313

Hi Folks,

After wanting a Zed for a long time I finally took the plunge with some help from Buster. I picked up 1 2004 Azure Blue GT spec Coupe. Has done just under 85k and has full service history. The car is completely stock at the moment which is what I was looking for - time to put my own stamp on the car :)

I have too many plans for her at the moment but first things first was to replace some broken trim pieces and a good service. First inspection showed me that I needed the following parts ordered -

• Fix crease on passenger side dash
  • Passenger side headlight washer cover
  • Front cig lighter cover
  • Rear cig lighter cover
  • new bonnet pull catch
  • new passenger side rear carpet
  • new passenger side spare wheel surround
  • New aerial and boot aerial power box thing

Huge thanks for ZedmanAlex and to Keyser for supplying the above parts. Much appreciated.

Here she is after a quick blast into the New Forest the weekend I brought her home.

IMG_0137.jpg

After owning my Zed almost 2 weeks I have been patiently waiting for rain to stop so I can start fettling!! Whilst the rain has been coming down nice and hard for pretty much the whole two weeks, I spent the time productively hoarding a collection parts!! Earlier this week I had a small piece of the dash repaired as there were three creases near the passenger side air vent. Not sure if someones leg caught this, or something being loaded in carelessly from the boot (or maybe the previous owner getting busy ;) ). Had a chap come and repair this for me one morning and he did a great job!!

BEFORE

IMG_0150.jpg

AFTER

IMG_0164.jpg

Today the rain stopped so after my chores from the girlfriend I was straight out there fitting things. I loaded up the car and headed to Busters (literally one street away) and we got to work. I tried to grab pics of most things but my phone died towards the end. It's not much to look at right now, but I'm very happy with it as the little broken pieces would drive me round the bend!!! All done and now heading back to a working, stock interior....for now!!

Broken spare wheel surround and carpets before

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

New parts fitted

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Impromptu modding - remove the rear boot weigh and rear wiper delete :) (spot the Zed Shed sticker already)

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Here is the broken cig lighter cover. I know its pretty much impossible to see when fitted. But i KNEW it was there, and always bugged me!

IMG_0173.jpg

Now fixed and refitted.

IMG_0174.jpg

Quite hard to see in the photo but one of the plastic holders had snapped off the bonnet pull. This meant that the cable was just floating around behind the lever. So you had to faff around, grab the cable and yank it to pop the bonnet.

IMG_0175.jpg

This is the new piece with two holders for the cable - now works a treat!!

IMG_0176.jpg

One of my interior lights was blown so took the opportunity the fit some LED ones :)

IMG_0177-1.jpg

Did the same with the front sidelights as one had blown when I picked the car up. Now sporting some super bright 9 LED ones.

IMG_0181.jpg

Also fitted a new tax disk holder. Not a huge mod, but it did have one of the big ones that car dealers like fitting. So i whipped that off and put a small magnetic one in its place. Much better IMO.

IMG_0180.jpg

No pics of the other mods but thanks to Buster I now have rear LED number plate lights, and the interior boot light is also an LED. Thanks to Buster for the bulbs! :) We will fit the rear cig lighter another day as thats longish job.

I think thats all for now unless I have forgotten anything. Bob, thanks for your help this afternoon :)

Edited by mattross1313

Midday update - spent the morning removing the panels and covers behind the seats in order to replace the broken cig lighter. All done successfully, no broken panels or clips......and done all by myself..proud much! haha :) Before and after pics as per normal.

Next up this afternoon is the iPod Hack - Buster is heading round now as I'm having an issue getting the BOSE out. Following the guide but there is a mystery piece of plastic getting in my way!

Matt :)

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Yep, even the bits that you will hardly ever looks at (spare wheel surround and cig lighter) really bug me!! So I got them fixed first before I got sidetracked with proper mods :)

With a few hours to kill this afternoon before going out I decided to tackle the iPod hack. Had a quick visit from Bob to help getting the stereo out then I was away with the tools dismantling the BOSE unit. It was all pretty painless, and a quick test showed everything to be working correctly. I tucked the 3.5mm jack into rear cubby next to the bluetooth adapter - in the future I will pull a feed from the cig lighter so I can charge and play my devices at the same time. All in all a successful day :)

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Thanks chaps :) yep, Zeditis has taken hold already - should have 4 or 5 things arriving in the post this week which should keep me occupied next weekend. Tomorrow I'll be giving the car a full exterior clean and claybar. The better half will be cleaning and detailing the interior for me as she is far better than me!!

For the grommets - I got them from Halfords. They came in a 3 pack of different sizes, I THINK it was the middle one which fitted.

Good to know there is hop for me yet :) It will take a while yet though i dare say!

Heres a quick snap i took the day I picked the car up. The weather was pretty awful but I grabbed the camera and got arty. Myself and some colleagues are involved in a photography project where every 2 weeks we pick a word or subject and capture a photo linked to the word. As luck would have it last weeks word was blue........so no real surprise what I took a photo of huh!!

Enjoy :)

Zed.jpg

Another update to close out the Easter weekend.

Today was mainly cleaning. First time cleaning the car since ownership so always a little scary as you find all the small paint work gremlins you missed when viewing the car.......and I did just that. Nothing HUGE but lots of small bits of paintwork, small chips or scratches dotted around the car, but only when you really look for them. Worst culprit is the swirls - previous owners must not have known what a micro fibre cloth was, let alone the two bucket method etc. But this shouldn't be anything I can't fix with good cleaning and maintenance.

Big thanks to my better half for spending a lot of today cleaning the interior on the Zed. We have an agreement that she cleans the interiors and I usually do the exterior. She spent a lot of time on the inner door shuts, boot frame, plastics, seats etc etc. And boy did the car benefit from the attention. Interior looks amazing!!

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I on the other hand had a hard job ahead of me today.....wash, claybar, wash, dry, paint renovator, polish and then wax. I also claybar'd the better half's Evo whilst I was at it!! both cars look miles better after a good deep clean and polish.

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Inbetween all the layers of polish and cleaning stuff I quickly t-cut out a scratch I spotted on the rear bumper (between the number plate and the indicator). Didn't take long, but again it's one of those little things that really catch your eye once you know its on the car.

BEFORE

IMG_0189.jpg

AFTER

IMG_0190.jpg

No more snaps after this as my phone ran out of power. But I finished up just touching in some small chips with a touch-up pen - small chips on the door edges from walls, tiny bit of the wing mirrors and a spot on the spoiler. All in all a very productive day - now time for bed!! Hopefully throughout the week I should see a nice collection of parts arrive at work which will keep me occupied next weekend -

• Stubby Aerial (and Tarmac sportz sticker)
  • New Nissan driver and passenger floor mats
  • Bluetooth Module for BOSE system
  • 06+ Velocity Stack for the airbox
  • Cargo net for the boot
  • Maybe the headlight washer cover if its arrives from Alex
  • important one - 350-uk club sticker
  • alu sticker to try and jazz up the worn stock gear knob

Edited by mattross1313

If your other half ever needs to keep in practice on the interior detailing, two more Zeds just 2 mins down the road from you ;)

Looks good mate :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

Haha - I'll pass the message on Chris but I wouldn't hold your breath matey :)

Nothing much to report today, had a few items arrive in the post - list updated below as I ordered another small thing off ebay today.

• Stubby Aerial (and Tarmac sportz sticker)
  • New Nissan driver and passenger floor mats - been delivered, but the misses left them at work! :dry:
  • Bluetooth Module for BOSE system - Delivered & fitted. tested on the driveway and all works well, time will tell as to how it sounds at motorway speeds but a happy chappy at the moment
  • 06+ Velocity Stack for the airbox
  • Cargo net for the boot - arrived today and will be given a wash in the next few days as it smelt a bit weird :yuck:
  • Maybe the headlight washer cover if its arrives from Alex
  • important one - 350-uk club sticker - arrived in todays mail, will be fitting it at the weekend
  • alu sticker to try and jazz up the worn stock gear knob
  • OEM+ stickers in white

Edited by mattross1313

Nice looking Z mate! I'd have had to fix all those little things too, l things like that bug the hell out of me, i'm itching to get out and paint my rear strut brace, it's scratched to @*!#! :lol: