Matt's Azure Adventure! - Decats & Japfest prep Pg.21

mattross1313

Oh, and Chris - I asked for you just now - she said she doesn't need to practice :lol:

I would say tell her practice makes perfect - But I would hear the answer from my house :lol:

drop in when your passing mate be good to see the Zed in the flesh as I got to see her the day you picked her up - but it was raining :(

^^ HAHA yep, i think the whole town would here the reply to that one mate :)

I'll swing round tonight if you are about dude? Looks like a nice day, plus i need to speak to you about booking in some wrenchtime at the shed. Also need to pick up my 'coffee table' ;)

Matt :)

Evening update.

Good to see you just now Chris, thanks for the brew :)

Had a few more parts arrive in the post today so the updated list is below - not much left now before they are all green.......then I can make another list :yahoo: The next list will be compiling parts for a FULL service, and hopefully a booking slot at the Zed Shed towards the end of this month, or next.

• Stubby Aerial (and Tarmac sportz sticker) - aerial fitted, sticker added to the collection for now.
  • New Nissan driver and passenger floor mats - fitted!!
  • Bluetooth Module for BOSE system - Delivered & fitted. tested on the driveway and all works well, time will tell as to how it sounds at motorway speeds but a happy chappy at the moment
  • 06+ Velocity Stack for the airbox
  • Cargo net for the boot - arrived today and will be given a wash in the next few days as it smelt a bit weird :yuck:
  • Maybe the headlight washer cover if its arrives from Alex
  • important one - 350-uk club sticker - arrived in todays mail, will be fitting it at the weekend
  • alu sticker to try and jazz up the worn stock gear knob
  • OEM+ stickers in white - arrived in the mail, have been added to the pile along with 350Z-uk and Tarmac Sportz

​Collection of new bits

IMG_0200.jpg

Brand new Nissan floor mats, still have that new car smell to them! :lol:

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Stubby Aerial fitted, I just need to get a small rubber grommet to sit at the base as it was missing from the unit I had from the Zed Shed (blooming cowboys they are I tell ya!!) ;) .....oh and thats a reflection on the wing not a huge scratch....which I thought it was just now!! scared me a little! :blush:

IMG_0202.jpg

Edited by mattross1313

No big updates today, my alu sticker arrived so will be fettling with that at the weekend. Also picked up a new holder for the bluetooth adapter (that holds the unit to the floor of the rear cubby). Mine is broken, the bluetooth works but the unit if free to flap around inside the cubby. So that HAD to be fixed :lol:

I have just placed an order with ZedmanAlex for some service parts listed below. Keyser is going to dig around for me as he should have an uprated panel filter at home which he no longers needs after fitting a JWT.

1 x pair Gates Blue Horizon Aux belts

2 x belt tensioner pulley nuts

1 x engine oil service kit (oil, filter & washer)

1 x set of Denso Iridium plugs

I will be giving the car a FULL service mainly for peace of mind etc. So in addition to the above parts I will be changes all other fluids in the car. Can you nice folks please recommend me some items for the below, and how many litres of each item I need.

Gearbox Oil

Diff Oil

Brake Fluid

Coolant

Fuel Filter

Is there anything else I should consider replacing, servicing, or looking at whilst I carry out this monster service?

Thanks folks, matt :)

Edited by mattross1313

Get that sticker on !!! :lol:

:lol: Will be on soon dude, just waiting for a few more stickers to arrive for the boot.

Quick update - nothing much from today. We were supposed to be at the Goodwood breakfast meet in the better halfs Evo V, got the whole way there (one mile left) and after giving it a little bit of pedal the balance belt snapped, which then snapped the cam belt......which then killed the car!! So a trip home on the recovery truck for us, and a large bill coming soon!! to top off the morning I tripped over the winch cable on totally face planted in the middle of the road!! Didn't get run over luckily but have done by knee and hand in!! :(

Despite my injuries I have managed to fit my cargo net into the boot - it's not as big as I was expecting (she said...hah)....but it will do for now. I also did the ignition dance after having the airbag light flashing following a recent interior clean.

At the start of the weekend I went to the DVLA to get my private plate transferred over so spent an hour removing the plate holder and cleaning things up. The rear bumper has been resprayed previously, when I took off the rear plate there were a load of sticky foam pads from previous plates (to be expected), except these were BLUE!!! the lazy sprayer didn't even bother to clean or rub them off first!!

Anyway, cleaned up now, and plates fitted. Front end looks much nicer without the plate holder ruining the lines!!

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Quick evening update before I get started on the car for a few hours - the misses is off to the cinema with some friends so time to fettle with the car for a few hours :)

My velocity stack arrived today, thank you to FlyBoy for the great kit, looking forward to fitting that when it stops raining.

I also ordered a small bag of trim poppers just to keep on the shelf, along with a small pot of gold #54 paint to touch up the Brembo's.

Tonight I am hoping to fit a new Bluetooth module holder as mine is damaged and doesn't fix to the bottom of the cubby. Time permitting I will pop off the gear knob and try to set about fitting my new alu sticker to cover the worn shifter pattern. it may or may not work, so failing this I will save up and get a new shifter.

Watch this space :)

OK so the alu shifter piece turned out to be a fail. I managed to get it down to the right size but the stock gear knob curves in both directions so it was almost impossible to get the small piece to match the contours. Ah well, only a few ££ lost but it was worth a try.

Tonights little fettles have been quite productive though, again, most of them are me just fixing little things that are wrong with the car to stop them bugging me. First up is a missing popper from the slam panel. 2 second job. I may well replace the lot of these when I get a new slam panel as one is blue and the other is not. The middle one is the new one as its a slightly different shape.

IMG_0217.jpg

Next up was the bluetooth holder, very quick job, but very satisfying as its no longer waggling around the cubby. Broken pic first, followed by new unit fitted. I think this also highlights the next area that I need to clean as the inside of the cubby is rather dirty!

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Another small thing that has been bugging me the whole time is the mirror controls on the drivers side door. The buttons were not seated correctly to the plastic control panel resulting in the mirror control sitting too low. This was stopping me from moving the mirrors to the left, and also made retracting them difficult. Popped off the controls and clipped the buttons back on. Job done :) I can now fully move mirrors trouble free!!

IMG_0220.jpg

Last pic is the first half of the service items from Alex, the rest should arrive by the weekend. Below we have engine oil, filter, iridium plugs and both Aux belts.

IMG_0221.jpg

That's your lot for now, Matt :)

Quick update for the evening. Had another care package from Alex today at work. Which contained the rest of my service components and oils. I also had a replacement sun visor for the drivers side as the mirror was broken. So I pilled up all the service items in the garage, gave the visor a quick clean and fitted in to the Zed. As is the theme at the moment it's not a mod, but its a fix that would otherwise really annoy me!

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Despite my injuries I have managed to fit my cargo net into the boot - it's not as big as I was expecting (she said...hah)....but it will do for now.

IMG_0211.jpg

Hmm - I see what you mean - that looks nothing like my cargo net.

Mine runs virtually in a straight line from the front mounting point to the back and is actually "double skinned" so you get a kind of pocket effect.

David

• Like 1

Despite my injuries I have managed to fit my cargo net into the boot - it's not as big as I was expecting (she said...hah)....but it will do for now.

IMG_0211.jpg

Hmm - I see what you mean - that looks nothing like my cargo net.

Mine runs virtually in a straight line between the mounting points and is actually "double skinned" so you get a kind of pocket effect.

David

Hi David, yeah it's not very useful for any objects that are a little tall but good to stop small items rolling around the boot. For £6 i'll llive with it for now but will look for a Zed cargo net, or maybe another manufacturer one which is bigger (but still reasonably priced).

So bit of a fail this morning!! I tucked the car into the garage (it was raining) and planned to fit the Velocity Stack. I followed FlyBoy's instructions, took everything off the car and then found that after the fitting the stack I should leave the car overnight for the glue to harden before driving. Which sucks as I need to drive the car at lunch time! So I decided to put everything back together, and I will fit the stack later today.

Whilst I had the intake pieces off the car I figured I would give the engine bay a first pass at detailing. I plan to do a full engine dress but it will be a slow going process. All I did this morning was give everything a clean and wipe with some detailing spray. This first pass was mainly just to remove and dirt, dust or grime which has built up from day to day use. I also removed most of the small stickers from under the bonnet, on the radiator top plate and somewhere else just to help with the clean look.

Pretty pleased with the results and will hopefully complete the velocity stack tonight - on first look it seems pretty straight forward to fit.

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Possibly a stupid thing to spend 10 minutes cleaning, but whilst I was in the mood I cleaned up the fluid bottles to the left of the engine. This one is half clean to show how grimey it was in the first place.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

All done and put back together (for now).

IMG_0253.jpg

Also, whilst the airbox was out of the way I noticed some oil around the right bank of plugs and leads. I can only hope that this build up is from someone really badly topping up the car with oil? It's not the best photo but does anyone have any thoughts to what may have caused this if is coming from the engine? Cheers:)

IMG_0241.jpg

That's all for now, hopefully the Velocity Stack will be all done and dusted ready by tomorrow morning.

Thanks Pete :)

I picked up the cargo net from eBay from a peugeot 307 I think it was. All in with postage I think was around £7-8 but it took a week of bidding and waiting to catch one for under a tenner. It's a good fit but could do with a being a little bigger.

• Like 1

Good work on the engine bay - I spent most of last Saturday giving mine a quick clean up.

Am part way through replacing the visible bolts and screws with stainless items now - much to the amusement of my fellow apartment block dwellers.

Still lots to do (before I bring out the machine polisher).

David

Edited by Tinyflier

Hey David, I plan on fitting similar stainless items - where did you get yours from? :)

I was down the Zed Shed yesterday and saw that Octet has a nice set of red anodised ones fitted to the engine.

Decisions! :)

I had some left over from a previous other car project where I did the same and then simply sourced a few from my local hardware store. Mine are just simple stainless bolts and washers not the fancy anodised ones - although if I was able to get a set of those I'd probably go for them.

David

Yeah I like the coloured anodised ones, will keep an eye out for any companies that produce them, or traders etc.

Quick update for today, after minor fail yesterday with getting too keen to fit the velocity stack and having to use the car. So the better half and I went out for a blast around the B lanes this afternoon and ended up down near the coast and had an ice-cream :)

After a fun afternoon with my girls (car, and misses) I have just completed the velocity stack mod and left it in the car to properly harden overnight before driving. So two quick pics - one of the car down near Swanage, and then an inner photo of the airbox with the new stack fitted. Enjoy :)

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Next update might not be everyones taste but it's something I've always wanted to get around to having on one of my cars. I think it stems back to when I had MR2's and the rear window was too small, but here it is - a collection of stickers running down the rear window. Will try to get another one or two at Japfest to fill the side. The local club stickers (Dorset Jap) on rear & side window were designed by my good self B) took delivery of them today.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg