Matt's Azure Adventure! - Decats & Japfest prep Pg.21

mattross1313

Well if you didn't keep postponing we could have fitted the zorst this weekend :p

Surprise last minute booking at the Zed Shed last night......it was finally exhaust time!!

Loaded up the exhaust, Berk HFC's and all accoutrements then headed over to see Keyser & Buster. The guys made short work of removing the old system, all pretty painless other than one of the 02 sensors being badly cross threaded......but this was nothing.....Chris went 'Medievil on its A$$' (trademark pending) and all was running smoothly again. Some precision mount alterations from Bob with a steel bar and the exhaust now sits nice, level & at the right height too!

I didn't help too much other than passing tools etc, I did get under the car and bolt up one of the Berks.....knowing my luck it'll fall off or something!! Next up is the service which should hopefully teach me a few things about maintaining the car etc. As normal....pics!!

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

With the Berk's being brand new the exhaust is still pretty quiet, but once they have change to carbon up they should sound great. I decided not to do the Y pipe just yet A) to save some money and B) so I could see how they sounded with Berks. However my Y-pipe really isnt going to last much longer, Chris kindly fixed up and refitted the stock piece for now but it was pretty beat up! So this afternoon I made a call to Mitz at CS who very quickly help me spend my money :lol: I will soon be the proud owner of a Cobra Y-Pipe, Eibach camber arm kit, and additonal camber arm bolts. This should cure my noise problem and my in-ability to adjust my rear alignment.

Exhuast vids hopefully to follow tonight/tomorrow.

As always a HUGE thanks to Bob & Chris for their help with the car, I would be pretty stuffed if left to do this myself. As discussed when servicing day arrives I will ensure we are all well fed B)

Matt :yahoo:

• Like 1

Thanks dude, nah they are staying for the time being :)

Forgot to say. The only piece that have us (Bob) a little bit of trouble was the join between the back box and mid pipe. This was the one that was bent out of shape and was always going to be the gamble!! It is VERY close but the flange isn't sealing 100% - this is nothing a little exhaust paste hasn't fixed.

Matt :)

Thanks Steve, Dan :)

Once these are fitted I am not too sure on what will come next, might enjoy it for the summer....or atleast for the road trip at the end of this month. Then back to modding once I return.

Loudness wise - it is very tame right now. On idle it isn't far off stock, maybe a slightly deeper tone. Under loud it definitely sounds meatier, and once you get to around 4-5k the Berks are nice and raspy! hopefully the Y pipe will free up the system and give a little more volume.

I'm very pleased thus far, as I like the quiet idle, and the loud pedal controls the volume :)

Berk's are staying sorry Steve - you are welcome to come and listen any time though :lol:

Let me know next time you are in the area, I'll put the kettle on :D

I thought that would be your answer :teeth: Dont need berks anyway, just not sure what to mod next :lol:

Is it still on then?

I am surprised :lol:

Glad you like it - I think the new Y pipe will make it just right - we will see sooner than we thought :lol:

Hah, yep still in one piece :)

Whilst on the phone with Mitz yesterday getting camber arms i figured it was rude not to order one. The ONLY reason i got it so soon was due to the Y-pipe looking so rusty.....honest!! :)

Delivery at work today from the Mitz at Cougar Store. Other than helping me spend lots of money, had great service from CS - good price & order updates and arrived to my desk less than 24 hours after ordering! So I now have Eibach rear camber arms & bolt kits to add to my seemingly ever growing pile of parts :)

IMG_0369.jpg

• Like 1

Update time again :)

With the Europe trip coming ever closer I am trying to get the car as ready as possible. The biggest item on the list is the service. I bought huge list of consumables a while ago and waited patiently for a slot at the Zed Shed. Over the past 2 evenings we have been busy eating donuts, drinking coffee, talking rubbish, and servicing the car :)

On with the pics.....yesterday 18:00 - Myself, the car and a boot full of consumables arrive at the.....

IMG_0374.jpg

Get the car jacked up and ready to rock&roll

IMG_0375.jpg

Two evenings later she rolls out with the following modifications: -

• New Oil & Filter
  • New gearbox Oil with molyslip
  • New Diff oil
  • pair of Aux belts
  • new spark plugs
  • Samco Coolant hose kit (in orange ofcourse)
  • Full set of spacers 20mm fronts & 25mm rears - sits lovely now!!

Not long after we started I was a little worried after looking at the sump pan....I have read a few horror stories recently of people having theirs rust through and start to weep. On first glance mine wasn't far off this either :( After a few minutes of head scratching Chris whipped out a sanding disc and it was only surface rust :)

IMG_0376.jpg

I am however a little concerned after lifting out the back drivers side sparkplug........Speaking with Chris & Bob the washer at the top of the sleeve is starting to fail and the oil is leaking in, causing it to sit on top of the spark plug / base of the coil pack. There was a sizeable puddle when I removed it. Chris recommended I keep an eye on it for the next few months and see how much oil it uses :(

IMG_0377.jpg

Any who, spark plug woes aside, the guys did an awesome job the past 2 evenings. I helped where I could, which wasn't too often, but I learned some more Zed related facts :) A little after 8:30 tonight she rolled back out of the garage and was one step closer to Europe.

Spacers

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Orange bling

IMG_0379.jpg

Surprise mod last weekend, a local Zed member bought some orange hose for his Zed and let me 'borrow' some :)

IMG_0380.jpg

And one of the MANY parts I have somehow managed to buy this week has been cleaned and fitted :) The car was missing the small boot divider that clips under the rear screen.

IMG_0381.jpg

That's it for now, fingers crossed I will be coming into some other nice bits over the weekend. (watch this space).

Next up on the list before Europe will be braided lines, brake fluid & camber arms.

Matt :)