There, Their, They're, Two, Too,To.

flyboy

does it really matter? everyone makes mistakes, no-one is perfect, so who cares

Yes it matters. It's not just a case of the occasional spelling mistakes which may be acceptable on a quick fire discussion board, but these are the wrong words used in the wrong context. Why should the reader have to work out what the writer is trying to say because they are too lazy to correct it themselves? You have the capability of using the internet, ergo, you are seconds away from an online dictionary.

It's basic language. If you want to be understood, use the right words.

Edited by Watshot

Yes it matters. It's not just a case of the occasional spelling mistakes which may be acceptable on a quick fire discussion board, but these are the wrong words used in the wrong context. Why should the reader have to work out what the writer is trying to say because they are too lazy to correct it themselves? You have the capability of using the internet, ergo, you are seconds away from an online dictionary.

this is just a motoring forum, not a job application or a newspaper article. as long as people get the gist then I cant see a problem.

If someone uses the incorrect word e.g. their some lovely wheels you have there. then its pretty obvious what there trying to say and shouldn't require too much working out.

Never mind grammar, the education system is turning young people out that can't even do basic maths. Heaven help us. It is embarrassing that, as mentioned above, workers from other countries seem to be educated to a better standard.

In some posts we Mods have seen English/spelling that is so poor they were unreadable and end up just getting deleted as all they would do is at best leave readers confused and at worse just result in another thread full of useless **** (added the stars myself :lol: ).

Then there are some that it is clear the wrong keys have been hit (I know that all too well :blush: ), that we will 'edit' simply for the post to make sense. But we are not here to give English lessons, so to those who don't bother too much with their spelling/grammar, take it on the chin if you do get picked up on your postings. :shrug:

this is just a motoring forum, not a job application or a newspaper article. as long as people get the gist then I cant see a problem.

If someone uses the incorrect word e.g. their some lovely wheels you have there. then its pretty obvious what there trying to say and shouldn't require too much working out.

Agree with you there Russ, but half of it is bone idle laziness. No thought into what their, sorry there, no I mean they're writing about.

Is there an 'e' in grammar?

Fair enough....b*tch!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I wouldn't normally but on this thread...

;-)

I deserved that one mate, up there, on my 'high horse' :blush:

I guess our language is just a tool, would we rather work with a Snap-on spanner or one from Lidl?

Edited by Simon+Kat

Never mind grammar, the education system is turning young people out that can't even do basic maths. Heaven help us. It is embarrassing that, as mentioned above, workers from other countries seem to be educated to a better standard.

I like to blow some checkout assistants' minds by flashing a tenner when paying for, say, a £5.30 item. Then when they've put £10 into the supercomputer and it says £4.70, rustle up the extra 30p for a fiver change. This technique actually made one person's face implode, proper Derren Brown style.

PS - I know it's childish.

I like to blow some checkout assistants' minds by flashing a tenner when paying for, say, a £5.30 item. Then when they've put £10 into the supercomputer and it says £4.70, rustle up the extra 30p for a fiver change. This technique actually made one person's face implode, proper Derren Brown style.

PS - I know it's childish.

While in th US, my missus and I had dinner with friends and we split the bill of $90.

Everybody round the table whipped out their phones to fire up the calculators. I just said that it came to $22.50 each (four parties).

One of the girls comments:

How did you do that?

• Like 1

In suffolk they like the word "shoe" as in " we were out last night on the lash and this drunk girl shoe me her breasts! so i shoe her my todger!"

But this is moving more into dielect than spelling and grammar

one that my students use is the term "goes" instead of says/said etc this was also popular in essex where i used to work.

so i always ask them mid senstence "where did he go?"