Mobile phone upgrade time

14N

OK, so it's that time of year (well every 2 years now) where I can upgrade my mobile phone.

Current shortlist after a very brief chat in the phone shop (not the Channel 4 show) is a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5.

Currently have an iPhone 4 and before that the 3S and 3. Kinda stuck with the iPhone as it fits my docking station.but I know this won't be the case with the 5 and an adaptor in needed.

Not a massive techie and just use the phone for calls (old skool I know), text, music (as in iPod) and tinterweb and camera occasionally. Even though I've got an iPhone, I don't really have any apps installed and I'm not a gamer etc.

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations or horror stories would be appreciated.

Ian :thumbs:

OK, so it's that time of year (well every 2 years now) where I can upgrade my mobile phone.

Current shortlist after a very brief chat in the phone shop (not the Channel 4 show) is a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5.

Currently have an iPhone 4 and before that the 3S and 3. Kinda stuck with the iPhone as it fits my docking station.but I know this won't be the case with the 5 and an adaptor in needed.

Not a massive techie and just use the phone for calls (old skool I know), text, music (as in iPod) and tinterweb and camera occasionally. Even though I've got an iPhone, I don't really have any apps installed and I'm not a gamer etc.

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations or horror stories would be appreciated.

Ian :thumbs:

Wait for the S4 Sir. Its going to be the iPhone killer B)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9924438/Galaxy-S4-Samsung-teases-with-new-pictures.html

Should be released very soon!

Cheers guys, waiting is a very viable option, as I'm happy with my current phone, so don't feel I need to change it.

Even considered upgrading to a popular model and sticking it on eBay to raise "Zed mod funds". Just means I'd be stuck with my phone for another 2 years.

Only two phones to consider right now from what's actually been released.

Either the iPhone 5, or the Nexus 4. Depends on your taste really.

You may want to consider a Windows phone if you're thinking about switching to Android, too.

I'm in exactly the same boat with my contract up in April. Thinking of the iPhone 5 at the moment though, but I have bought into the Apple brand in the past few years with purchases through iTunes and such. Although, of course, I'll still have my iPhone 4 handset if I just want a glorified music player.

Will watch this thread with interest

I'm in exactly the same boat with my contract up in April. Thinking of the iPhone 5 at the moment though, but I have bought into the Apple brand in the past few years with purchases through iTunes and such. Although, of course, I'll still have my iPhone 4 handset if I just want a glorified music player.

I enquired about all my music etc on iTunes and according to the girl in the shop I spoke to, she said there's an app called 'easy phone sync' which is simple to use and tranfers all your iTunes data onto the new storgae provider.

Wait for the S4 Sir. Its going to be the iPhone killer B)

http://www.telegraph...w-pictures.html

Should be released very soon!

err.... the older samsung s3 totally rinsed out the iphone 5, so samsung have already been there and done that.

Personally at the moment for me its between 2 phones, the s3 (I have one on EE 4G) and the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 represents incredible value for money as its about £230 sim free brand new. Its basically same spec as the s3 but you dont get the option for an SD card slot. Ive had a play with the nexus and found it actually felt quicker when using as it hasnt got the samsung touchwiz overlay on it, although I prefered the slimmer feel & better looks of my s3.

The iphone 5 isnt really any better over the 4s. The samsung s4... which is released in 2 days time... well, if its any bigger than the s3 then its not for me.

However, if like my missus you have been tied into apple with itunes and their apps etc... then you may as well stay with them. She certainly wont ever move now to any other brand, even if apple continue to fall way behind the competition.

However, one of my mates was a die-hard apple fan and was constantly saying how crap android was. He tried an s3 last year, loved it so much he went out & bought one. He hasnt looked back.

The other option however, is like what ive done on my other phone contract. Ive kept my old samsung s2, and switched to monthly sim only contract so i only pay £6.99 a month. That way, when a decent phone comes out I like I can just switch over to that if required. However, the s2 does everything I want from a phone. Sure the s3 I have on my work contract is flashy & quicker, but in real life terms the older s2 ticks all my boxes.

Edited by rabbitstew

I have an iPhone 5 and I like it, Its very similar to the 4 tho. I think the S3 is a little big for a phone but can do some impressive stuff.

Have a play with them down your local phone shop and see what you prefer

I enquired about all my music etc on iTunes and according to the girl in the shop I spoke to, she said there's an app called 'easy phone sync' which is simple to use and tranfers all your iTunes data onto the new storgae provider.

I did exactly that when I moved from my I phone 3gs to the galaxy s3. used iTunes a lot so the music part was important to me. got all my music on to the s3 easy enough plus with Google music I still find it easy to buy music on the go.

Edited by wizurd

The other option however, is like what ive done on my other phone contract. Ive kept my old samsung s2, and switched to monthly sim only contract so i only pay £6.99 a month. That way, when a decent phone comes out I like I can just switch over to that if required. However, the s2 does everything I want from a phone. Sure the s3 I have on my work contract is flashy & quicker, but in real life terms the older s2 ticks all my boxes.

I think I'll be doing this, currently spending £360 ish per yr, cant be @rsed to change and might as well save the money!! Couple fo hundred quid to spenmd on the Zed!!

Edited by flexib

The iPhone5 is much faster than the 4S and is just big enough not to look stupid, some of the Samsungs are like mini tablets :surrender:

I'm not an Apple fanboy and I was worried about the docking change but who docks anything anymore, its all BT & wireless :shrug:

At the end of the day if you don't use your phone much then pick the one you like the look of the most :thumbs:

The biggest issue with the iPhone 5 is iOS. It is in massive need of an update, and a big one. The hardware is as good as it needs to be, as that's not where Apple traditionally excels, it's the software. Sadly, that software is starting to creak a bit.

And that's coming from a true iWhore.

The biggest issue with the iPhone 5 is iOS. It is in massive need of an update, and a big one. The hardware is as good as it needs to be, as that's not where Apple traditionally excels, it's the software. Sadly, that software is starting to creak a bit.

And that's coming from a true iWhore.

Tend to agree (iwhore too) I've hung on to my 4 as the 5 didn't seem worth the change, don't know what to do now :shrug:

get a sim only contract (12 months) and wait until a better iphone comes out. I've just done this with vodafone, and I will be quids in even if I bought a 5 from apple in those 6 months. I am rather biased to apple though as haven't had anything else

You will always hear the same old arguments, Apple is not as good as the S3 etc, its all irrelevant really as you said in your opening post you make calls, text, occasional internet etc. Can the S3 make 'better phone calls' than the iPhone, of course not. In fact research shows that something like 90% of smart phone users use 20% or less of a phones functionality. Reviews online will always be for the phones full functions, which of course a tiny percentage of the population use.

For me it comes down to whether you have an apple or non apple ecosystem. I have a mac, also an iPhone, so hell I bought Apple TV and it all works fantastically well together. Im not an Apple user that will say 'its better than Samsung' as for me its the whole package and I happen to drift in that direction. If however you have a PC at home with your music etc all wired up to work with Samsung's or the like then get a Samsung - really in the grand scheme of things, unless you are properly wanting to multi-task on phones and use them fully there really is jack all difference between them for your average user...

• Like 1

You will always hear the same old arguments, Apple is not as good as the S3 etc, its all irrelevant really as you said in your opening post you make calls, text, occasional internet etc. Can the S3 make 'better phone calls' than the iPhone, of course not. In fact research shows that something like 90% of smart phone users use 20% or less of a phones functionality. Reviews online will always be for the phones full functions, which of course a tiny percentage of the population use.

For me it comes down to whether you have an apple or non apple ecosystem. I have a mac, also an iPhone, so hell I bought Apple TV and it all works fantastically well together. Im not an Apple user that will say 'its better than Samsung' as for me its the whole package and I happen to drift in that direction. If however you have a PC at home with your music etc all wired up to work with Samsung's or the like then get a Samsung - really in the grand scheme of things, unless you are properly wanting to multi-task on phones and use them fully there really is jack all difference between them for your average user...

+1

I'm a PC/Android boy. No Apple for me so it's an obvious choice for me. I am also one of the few who will use 90% of a gadget's functions!