Tablet advice needed!

stuarty

Sold my iPad 2 today to a family member and I'm looking to replace it with an android tablet.

I thought the iPad was a great bit of kit, but as it doesn't support certain flash players and i can't Bluetooth to other devices etc it's really restrictive.

Anyway I've got a Samsung galaxy s3 phone and its awesome, so I was thinking about either a galaxy tab (£279) or galaxy note (£399) tablet.

Can anyone advice me which one is better and also if there's a better android product out there?

Cheers!

flash will be De supported entirely soon enough. companies are supposed to be moving away from it so it's not just turned on even on Android tablets these days. Sorted a kindle fire hd and a galaxy tab 2 since Xmas for flash. you can still get it on them just not as straight forward as it uses to be. gotta be said impressed with the fire hd and the tab 2 7inch model is also good.

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as a replacement for your iPad, that's what I went for when both my iPad 2 and 3 went onto ebay and I have not regretted it. I don't think there are many tablets out there that can rival the iPad for it's slickness but that fact I can play flash in the standard browser is a big enough bonus to outweigh the iPad.

I do find it strange why the default browser in Android supports flash, but google Chrome doesn't.

If I was buying a new tablet now then I would give one of the Microsoft tablets a go, I think they will work better if you intend using any of the office suite as that's the biggest drawback when I have used all other tablets. Yes other tablets might have their own version of word or excel and even allow you to import and work on a microsoft file, but what do you do with it then as you can't save it anywhere really. You need to email it back to yourself so you can use it on your PC....

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as a replacement for your iPad, that's what I went for when both my iPad 2 and 3 went onto ebay and I have not regretted it. I don't think there are many tablets out there that can rival the iPad for it's slickness but that fact I can play flash in the standard browser is a big enough bonus to outweigh the iPad.

I do find it strange why the default browser in Android supports flash, but google Chrome doesn't.

If I was buying a new tablet now then I would give one of the Microsoft tablets a go, I think they will work better if you intend using any of the office suite as that's the biggest drawback when I have used all other tablets. Yes other tablets might have their own version of word or excel and even allow you to import and work on a microsoft file, but what do you do with it then as you can't save it anywhere really. You need to email it back to yourself so you can use it on your PC....

Thanks for the advice!

Galaxy Tab is an utter piece of shite. Yes, it looks pretty, but with input lag you can measure in months and the stunning ability to crash randomly whenever it feels like it or (and this is great) leave you with a keyboard that doesn't actually type anything, it's not that useful.

Flash is dead, Adobe themselves have said this, HTML5 all the way now. I binned my Tab about a month after buying it and bought an iPad again, best thing I ever did. Until Android stuff alters the way it processes inputs to remove the lag (I.e. never), I will never consider one. Sensitivity is everything on touchscreen devices.

No help I know as you specifically don't want an iPad, I just felt like a good rant :lol:

• Like 1

Have to say my 2 year old xoom with jellybean is very smooth, not quite as slick as an iPad but then it was £150 for 32mb so doesn't even compare to an iPad1 really :lol:

I agree older and cheaper tabs are laggy but if you buy a new one with a fast processor then the latest releases of Android are catching up pretty quick :thumbs:

Absolutely love my Tab 2 and I've never had any problems... (I only have 7 inches though)! :blush:

ASUS Transformer Prime is supposed to be good too, but getting a bit old now. I might be wrong, but there is a Nexus10 coming out soon, which will probably be badass... as long as you don't want loads of storage.

Ive got the transformer and its great.

Keyboard when you want it, with its own battery ( an extra 6 hours) which charges the screen if needed to. 64 gig Micro sd card in the screen, 64 gig sd card in the keyboard, 32 gig built in, usb port. Latest android, Runs flash,

My first android device but I cant fault it.

Great gps signal and Wifi which pics up a weak signal with no issue.

• Like 1

Ive got the transformer and its great.

Keyboard when you want it, with its own battery ( an extra 6 hours) which charges the screen if needed to. 64 gig Micro sd card in the screen, 64 gig sd card in the keyboard, 32 gig built in, usb port. Latest android, Runs flash,

My first android device but I cant fault it.

Great gps signal and Wifi which pics up a weak signal with no issue.

Is that the asus and if so what model?

Cant believe anyone can slag off the galaxy tab for lag and then say the iPad is far superior.

Yes the iPad is slicker, but make a post using an iPad and try and type anything quicker than 2 words every 10 seconds and you always need to go back over what you have typed to add in all the characters that have been missed.

Its always been the problem with iPads.

Edited by maxi-glasgow

My wife has an ipad 3 and ive got a nexus 7. No comparison, my nexus 7 wipes the floor with her ipad. Whenever I try to use her ipad, it takes me ages to workout where simple things are. And nearly 60% of what I want to do on it I cant. Whereas on my nexus, its all immediately there for me. Ive found no problems at all with laggyness or anything like that. It continuously amazes me at how slick and fast it is. Whether thats browing, typing, playing games or streaming HD movies over my home network from my NAS box.

You can get flash on it - you can install it, and use a browser like firefox.

Maybe its all just a personal thing. Someone who has been using an iphone for 10 years will probably find an ipad easier to use.

My wife has an ipad 3 and ive got a nexus 7. No comparison, my nexus 7 wipes the floor with her ipad. Whenever I try to use her ipad, it takes me ages to workout where simple things are. And nearly 60% of what I want to do on it I cant. Whereas on my nexus, its all immediately there for me. Ive found no problems at all with laggyness or anything like that. It continuously amazes me at how slick and fast it is. Whether thats browing, typing, playing games or streaming HD movies over my home network from my NAS box.

You can get flash on it - you can install it, and use a browser like firefox.

Maybe its all just a personal thing. Someone who has been using an iphone for 10 years will probably find an ipad easier to use.

I have had every version of iPhone and I am completely with you, why anyone would pay double for an iPad mini over a Nexus is just beyond me it really is :shrug:

• Like 2