Parking on a kerb- ok?

downhuman

Random question but...

I always park my 350z 'up' on the kerb (e.g. two wheels on the kerb) as our road is narrow.

Does parking like this damage a car long term ?

Cheers

Rob

I'd be concerned about damage from people pushing prams, kids riding bikes etc.

Pete

• Like 2

Don't know how true this is but years ago I had a 3.0 litre Granada Ghia.

I used to park it on the kerb which was about 4 inches high.

:wacko:

After a good few months I started to hear a whine and then a rumble and one day "Bang"

A hole appeared in the diff and all the oil drained out.

Good old Curry Motors the buisness to do people with in Kingston where I got the car said it was down to being parked for long periods

Put a strain on the ???? shaft and ferked it.

I did not have the knowledge at the time to argue.

Hands up i still don't know the answer to that lol.

It was a 1976 P reg and the car was less than a year old.

Edited by 4RE Leather
  • Like 1

We live in a new development where parking is stupid - 4 bedroom houses with 1 space etc - the roads are privately owned, however, and it is rural so we rarely see police. They'd have to give literally 100s of people points too.

Agree on the prams issue but our car park is so tight it is that or door dinging craziness.

Moral of the story - DON'T buy new property.

We live on a similar property development, I dug our front garden up and turned it into a parking space. Lots do it on our street as well. Most I don't mind but I'm getting close reporting the idiotic ones who park right on a junction, or park on both sides leaving no room to get through. And recently had to deal with one who parked in front of our drive. This time I reported it. Next time I'm jacking it up and leaving it on axle stands.

We live on a similar property development, I dug our front garden up and turned it into a parking space. Lots do it on our street as well. Most I don't mind but I'm getting close reporting the idiotic ones who park right on a junction, or park on both sides leaving no room to get through. And recently had to deal with one who parked in front of our drive. This time I reported it. Next time I'm jacking it up and leaving it on axle stands.

Obviously not leaving it in front of your drive?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2 - just for Mr Handbag

Its against the highway code from memory, so technically it could get you points, especially if you're blocking pedestrians access

That all depends on whether it is law or not. Not all of the highway code is law. Much of it is recommendations or guidelines. For example, I don't think that it is law that you must indicate. I'll go check...

Its against the highway code from memory, so technically it could get you points, especially if you're blocking pedestrians access

That all depends on whether it is law or not. Not all of the highway code is law. Much of it is recommendations or guidelines. For example, I don't think that it is law that you must indicate. I'll go check...

Parking on the pavement is indeed against the law except where signs permit it outside London:

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

Law GL(GP)A sect 15

Points would be a good outcome.

I remember at my mates old girlfriend, parking was that bad, everyone would park on the pavement and one day after almost getting knocked down (as she was on road) with her wee yin in the pram couldnt get up the pavement , so she went and bought a cheap used buggy (from gumtree) and went up both sides of the street and simple not giving a f**k and made the buggy through all the gaps. Many mirrors were knocked off and scratches on all cars lol.

Two neighbours seen it and tried to take her to court only for the outcome to be

Cars should be on the road

People should be on the pavement

Cars shouldnt be blocking the footpaths, so was cleared from court :)

Needless to say they had to move lol

Edited by sjcdeans

i have one on our street who parks right on a corner, not just before or just after, but right on it, and not close to the curb, no that would be too easy, no, they park about 2 foot away, and if cars are in the parking bay opposite, you almost need to perform a 3 point manouve to get round it.

I live in London and we have parking areas dotted out that go up onto the kerb.

Our road is a nightmare, very narrow, lots of small houses etc. Have had both wing mirrors smashed on the Focus on that road in 6 months. I replaced one just the other day, whilst it was pavement side, and left it facing out...came out the next morning and it was bent right back, some pedestrian had whacked it!

If you need to park on the pavement to allow space for other cars to pass, then you shouldn't be parking there.

....wrong! lol

My friends house is a kinda of culdisac hill thing, where if you don't have a drive (or you've more than one car) you have to park on the road part up and down the hill, considerate people park half on the pavement half off, otherwise you would be ...well not welcomed by the 'locals' as you'd be sitting on the road. Plenty room for cars and pedestrians to get by with cars on both sides.

And as for the Z, that was one of my thoughts when I first took it up, can I still park it on the hill on the kerb, answer, with 45s yes you can lol. Just be careful how close your other wheel is to the pavement if turning in...but then you might be too far cos your car would need to cover most of the pavement! lol

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

he's not wrong. its against the highway code to park on the pavement, just because people do it doesn;t make it right. people stick hamsters up their ar$e but that doesn't make it right.

we've all done it at some point. but be aware that if you do it there is a risk of damage from pedestrians, and possibility of a plod telling off.

Lack of parking is one reason i would never buy a new house. Most have roads which arnt wide enough to get 2 cars side by side, and houses have no parking except on road. Both my current house & previous house have such big drives that i can easily get about 10 cars parked on it if i wanted.