Calling Ricey - Absolutely Fuming!

350Chris

I got home last night to discover that my neighbour was having a water meter fitted - nothing to fret about there you might think...however, as there had been no warning of the works, no one had been asked to move their cars and my Zed, parked out of the way so as to avoid snow/ice dangers is now covered is all manner of mud, stones and rubbish as well as having had one of the headlight washers pulled out - which now don't work. :rant:

The company were still in my neighbours house so I went to speak to them but she was reluctant to let them come to the door as it would interrupt the work they were doing but she did tell me that they had washed down the front of the car a couple of times as they were working - clearly knowing that they were in the wrong. I doubt they had clean microfibers to hand though :rant:

I have lodged a complaint (along with a couple of other people from the close) and will be aiming to get this resolved at the cost of the water company. I have taken what pictures I could in the dark last night - but the hours I work means it will be hard to assess the full extent of their 'work' until the weekend - but if you are passing Ricey, I may ask you to assist with the production of some suitably focussing text that I can kick the process off with!

What with this and someone neatly scuffing the rear bumper in Tesco last week I am at my wits end!

Edited by 350Chris

I'm confused - What or who is Ricey?

And how did the headlight washer get pulled out?

He's our resident pit-bull when it comes to customer complaints.

Love it when you understate things and are so polite Al. :lol:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I came home to *insert your address here* on the evening of the 22nd Jan 2013 to discover some of your workmen installing a water meter at *insert neighbour's address here*. I noticed that my car reg *insert reg here* has been covered with mud, stones and rubbish and I believe this to have been done by your workmen. I also now have a non-functioning headlight washer which certainly wasn't non-functioning before.

My heighbour, who lives where the work was being carried out, informed me that your workmen did attempt to wash down the front of my car, however this is also unnaceptable as quite simply either they should have been more careful in the first place or preferably I should've been informed that the work was going to take place. If that had happened, I could've simply moved the car and we wouldn't be in the situation we now find ourselves in.

Please find attached photos of the state of the car, and I'm sure you'll agree that this is not acceptable. I would very much appreciate a response within 7 days as to how you intend to rectify this situation to my satisfaction.

Yours sincerely,

350Chris

Job done. Also, don't leave it until the weekend to get photos, if you have to give your camera to someone else today then get it done, it'll be too late by the weekend as their argument will be that someone else could've done it in that time.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I came home to *insert your address here* on the evening of the 22nd Jan 2013 to discover some of your workmen installing a water meter at *insert neighbour's address here*. I noticed that my car reg *insert reg here* has been covered with mud, stones and rubbish and I believe this to have been done by your workmen. I also now have a non-functioning headlight washer which certainly wasn't non-functioning before.

My heighbour, who lives where the work was being carried out, informed me that your workmen did attempt to wash down the front of my car, however this is also unnaceptable as quite simply either they should have been more careful in the first place or preferably I should've been informed that the work was going to take place. If that had happened, I could've simply moved the car and we wouldn't be in the situation we now find ourselves in.

Please find attached photos of the state of the car, and I'm sure you'll agree that this is not acceptable. I would very much appreciate a response within 7 days as to how you intend to rectify this situation to my satisfaction.

Yours sincerely,

350Chris

PS: THEY ALSO SCUFFED MY BUMPER WHILE ATTEMPTING TO CLEAN THE CAR DOWN!!!

(PPS: prove they didn't ha ha)

Job done. Also, don't leave it until the weekend to get photos, if you have to give your camera to someone else today then get it done, it'll be too late by the weekend as their argument will be that someone else could've done it in that time.

HERE'S A GEORDIE LETTER FOR YOU ....NO CHARGE

Hey f--k nose get ya arse doon here noow nd luc at the state ya mates av got me car in. cos if ya divint get it fixed soon ahll be rooned your hoose the morra nd sort ya oot.

Divint think am kidden like cos ahm not. The prats iv got clarts all ower me clean car nd knackerred me wesher anal!

Ya nah wot they've nackered me bumber anal cos they've scratched it while buggering on wiv it.

Noo ah divint like any upset wi me neighbours, nah a divint, but am ganna kick their arses anal for gettn a bloody meter in the first place!

Yeh mightened iv guessed but ah got a Geordie mate iv mine ti write this cos ahm that mad. So get cracking no nd sort it but quick like.

Yours sincerely ................

• Like 1

I like the Geordie version. Straight to the point! :)

Seriously though, I would be ready to tear them a new one at the time, well done for keeping your cool!

IMO I'd go with something like the Ekona letter, but I'd be more direct about the solution. Tell them what you want to do, that you suggest you get quotes to repair the damage and that you expect them to pay for it. Add in photos of the exact issues too to show them the problem. If you can get the quotes quickly include them in the letter and deliver the whole thing in one blow, but if it will take a while best get the complaint in first and follow up with the quotes.

Oh and call them up first if you haven't already to make sure you have the address details and to find out what their complaints procedure is exactly.

You're probably looking at a washer fix plus a professional detail to repair any surface scratches etc. Hopefully nothing more than that.

If all goes well you'll get the problems put right and a full polish, seal and wax to make up for the hassle.

Edited by TheMacDaddy

Motherf***ng cheek! Lol

Dans done a pretty good job for you there mate however i'll endeavour to spice up if I can't some point today as I think touching yo car constitutes some form of trespass

• Like 1

Was your car parked literally inches away from the hole they were digging or something? Thats mental the mess they seem to have made. Ive had a water meter fitted before and they just fitted in an inspection hole in my drive which was already there. No mess or anything.

And how an earth did they damage the headlamp washer?

Lets hope they respond and get it sorted out. The fact they tried to clean it down with water suggests that the worker know they caused the damage and therefore hopefully their company will admit fault.

Thanks all,

I registered the complaint as soon as I got home last night, so it is in their system, I am in the process of writing a note to their insurance dept to say - further to call logeed 23/01 I will be submitting supporting evidence as soon as I can etc. etc.

I have had scripted supervisor call back this morning to apologise and to point me at their insurance dept to which I have informed them that a simple apology is not acceptable and that they must pass my complaint up their management chain.

They were scheduled to do the work on 29/01 before which (benefit of the doubt) my neighbour would have warned me of the activity...as it stands, they turned up a week early and didn't even tell her that they were coming.

Thanks for the outline above - I will add to that and turn it up a little. I think that outlining my expectations is a good idea - professional clean, repair. Owing to the light, it has not been possible for me to assess if there has been any paint work damage as yet.

It is an inconveneince that I really do not have the time for at the minute

For illustrative purposes, here is a picture of the end of the close. The Zed was parked in the position of the Micra and the hole they dug is on/around the area with the yellow spray paint in this image

IMAG1401_zps51c6a980.jpg

Edited by 350Chris

My first pass letter, suggestions welcome. It will be this evening bfore I can get it sent to them from my home PC;

Dear ***********,

Following our telephone conversation this afternoon, I enclose the details as discussed of damaged caused to my vehicle.

I came home to *****, ****** on the evening of the 22nd Jan 2013 to discover some of your workmen installing a water meter at *********. I noticed that my car, reg ********** has been covered with mud, stones and debris and I believe this to have been done by your workmen. I also now have a damaged and non-functioning headlight washer which certainly wasn't non-functioning before. I registered a call with the contact number displayed on the work site the same evening and in response to their direction, am registering the details with yourselves.

I understand that my neighbor was expecting your workmen to install the water meter on 29th January 2013 and knowing her, as I do, and her knowing the pride that I take in my vehicle, am certain that she would have warned me of the impending work to have given me the opportunity to move my vehicle. In actuality, your workmen arrived early and without prior warning and I have not been afforded the courtesy to take appropriate action to safeguard my property.

My neighbor, who lives where the work was being carried out, informed me that your workmen did attempt to wash down the front of my car, however this is also unacceptable as quite simply either they should have been more careful in the first place or preferably I should've been informed that the work was going to take place. Had that had happened, I could have simply moved the car and we would not be in the situation we now find ourselves in.

Please find attached photos of the state of the car, and I'm sure you'll agree that this is not acceptable. I will take appropriate steps to get the damage to my vehicle appraised and ask that quotes are prepared to quantify the repair costs to rectify the faults caused. I will forward these to you as soon as they are available and will expect you to cover the cost of the works deemed necesscary.

I would very much appreciate a response within 7 days as to how you intend to rectify this situation to my satisfaction and appreciate your assistance thus far.

I will be following up this email with a letter sent to yourselves by recorded delivery.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by 350Chris

Sounds fine. Personally I would change the "will expect you to cover the cost of the works deemed necesscary" to something like "I am sure you will want to make sure that I am left in the position I was before the works took place". Sounds less aggressive so gives you somewhere to go, plus that's the exact whole point of the insurance so will look good if you ever needed to escalate to the courts. :)

Motherf***ng cheek! Lol

Dans done a pretty good job for you there mate however i'll endeavour to spice up if I can't some point today as I think touching yo car constitutes some form of trespass

Perhaps Dan see's himself as the new Ricey? :stir:

Unbelievable what they deem as good practice. . You'd think that they would have some kind of protective screen to guard off the immediate area of the ground works as this must happen time and time again.

If you had had notification then it would be a different matter but to turn up early and then having seen your car just thought, screw it we'll hose it down after, is shocking.

Dear ***********,

Further to our telephone conversation this afternoon (23rd January 2013), please find below a precis of the circumstances, events and ultimately the damage that was caused to my vehicle by your employees on the 22nd January 2013.

After arriving home at ************** on 22nd Jan 2013 it was apparent that your workmen were installing a water meter at *********. At this point I immediately became aware that my car (reg **********) had been covered with a variety of mud, stones and other debris as a direct result of the work that was being carried out. Additionally I also discovered that the vehicles headlight washer again as a direct result of this interference by this work is now non-functioning - I can catagorically state that this part was functioning perfectly prior to the interference.

You will note that a call was registered with the contact number displayed on the work site signage on the same evening and under their direction, am registering the details of this incident with yourselves.

I understand that my neighbor was expecting your workmen to install the water meter on 29th January 2013. My relationship with my neighbour is of an amicable nature and she is acutely aware of the pride, car and attention that I have invested in my car, i fully believe that she would have afforded me the opportunity to place my car at a safe distance prior to work of this nature commencing. In actuality, your workmen arrived early and without prior warning therefore my neighbour could not afforded the courtesy to take appropriate action to safeguard my property.

I am reliably informed by another neighbour (Chris is this right it another neighbour?) that your workmen attempted to wash down the front of my car when the result of their actions had been noticed. I would like to make 2 things clear pertaining to this point:

1. Your work men are not qualified to perform professional detailing work on my vehicle and therefore should not have attempted an remedial work. This has resulted it damage to my property.

2. I deem the act of 'touching' my car under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977 to be a trespass which has lead to material damages.

Please find attached photos of the vechicle and damage for your perusal, I'm sure you'll agree that this is not acceptable situation. Appraisals to assess the damage to my vehicle along with quotes for remedial work to rectify the damage caused as a result of your companies lack of care/attention and subsequent actions will be obtained. These quotes will be forward to you and from the point of dispatch by recorded delivery they will be subject to a 7 day deliberation period to allow you time to consider your position, after this deadline should I not receive a positive response further action may be considered.

Clearly I would like to offer you the opportunity to address this situation amicably and please do not perceive any mention of 'further action' as a threat. It is simply an apporiate juncutre to put you on notice that this is a potential and likely course of action should we not be able to resolve the situation.

I would appreciate a response to this correspondance within 7 days to confirm receipt and that you are agreeable to the above facts along with the strategy I have suggested to remedy the situation. I would like to thank you thus far for your cooperation and communication.

This email will be additionlly be transcribed into a letter which will be sent to yourselves by recorded delivery.

Yours sincerely,

Phew! Nothing like a hard day at work then writing a complaint letter for an hour!