5 minute DIY jobs,,,,,don't u just love em

Dicky

Fitted LED side lights a couple of wks ago....lovely.

Noticed the offside one wasn't working the other day so adopted the first rule of fault finding and ....GAVE IT A HARD BANG, which brought it on again.

So today, while still recovering from the worst dose of cold know to mankind, I decided to sort it. It's only a five minute job anyway, jack the car, wheel off, liner pulled back, no probs !

Having got the jack out of the boot, all enthusiasm, energy and interest in the project drains from me completely, I consider putting the jack back...cos Im not well U know, nd theres snow all around nd it freezing as well. But no, Im a Geordie boy, freezing snow and sub zero temperatures don't scare us......gulp.

So know I'm twisting the lamp holder to remove it for inspection, thinking

" nearly finished, soon be having another Lemsip".

The lamp holder as it happens was a bit reluctant to come out so I gave it ever such a little tug................have U guessed yet?..............yep you've got it the led lamp dropped out and into the far reaches of the headlamp unit........Oh bugger I said to myself.........that's made the job damed interesting ! Never mind though I've got a huge double skinned 1/2" hole to work through so no worries.

3 hrs, reels of sticky tap and bent bits of wire later I was still tussling with this interesting little conundrum......oh the joy of it.

Frantically thinking over my options.........Head light will have to come out, bugger,the bumper will have to come off as well.....bugger, but there's no room to swing a cat in the garage, bugger, bugger squared !

Just then the light of my life, my little home maker came up with a winner, only to embarrass, humiliate, and demonstrate her intellectual superiority you understand, "why don't U use that bendy grabby tool thingy pet" "the one up there on the wall"

Well another hr or so later Im in the bath defrosting and reminiscing on what a lovely little day Ive had, wrestling with this 5 min little job..................can't wait to check the other side !

• Like 1

Haha, ive head a bulb drop inside the headlight before. It seemed to be one of these periods where for one reason or another the bumper was of every week for something, just another reason.

I ended up dropping the bumper off and removing the headlight at 7PM in the pitch black under s street light, wasnt even that hard since id done it so many times but still was annoying that a 5 min job turned into a 35 min job!

hahaha... love things like this. I remember trying to change the bulb on my golf, which ended up being a front bumper off and had to strip half the front of the car off just to change a lightbulb.

Or on the zed... swapping the exhaust over... that wont take more than an hour..... ends up taking 6 hours and lots of swearing...

Was debating doing this today as well as I have a sidelight out, left it till about 45 mins of daylight remaining and thought screw it until weekend when hopefully not so much snow about, ended up spraying my rear indicator bulbs silver instead to get rid of the fried egg look as had a can of spray laying about plus im too tight to buy another set of silvatecs!! :blush:

Was debating doing this today as well as I have a sidelight out, left it till about 45 mins of daylight remaining and thought screw it until weekend when hopefully not so much snow about, ended up spraying my rear indicator bulbs silver instead to get rid of the fried egg look as had a can of spray laying about plus im too tight to buy another set of silvatecs!! :blush:

Th way things have gone for me today I'd have had the spray nozzle pointing at me!

Same thing happened on my dads car. Its still in there but I was thinking of just using a hoover.

Vacuum cleaner a good idea , if you can reduce the hose size to less than the 1/2" or so hole!

Oh by the way, and smaller diameter than the lamp itself otherwise you' ll

just create yet another little conundrum for yourself ha ha

OMG

Nightmare of a morning also trying change side lights just done full wheel lock and pull arch liner back (which I think I've now damaged in my rage!) done one side then went to do other and noticed nail stick in my tyre went to nip down local tyre and exhaust and the new side light is not working already !! So now both bulbs don't work and I'm sitting in garage waiting for puncture to be fixed! Not only is it snowy cold I've been out trying to do these poxy lights since 9 this morning!! 5 minute job is not the word lol :(

OMG

Nightmare of a morning also trying change side lights just done full wheel lock and pull arch liner back (which I think I've now damaged in my rage!) done one side then went to do other and noticed nail stick in my tyre went to nip down local tyre and exhaust and the new side light is not working already !! So now both bulbs don't work and I'm sitting in garage waiting for puncture to be fixed! Not only is it snowy cold I've been out trying to do these poxy lights since 9 this morning!! 5 minute job is not the word lol :(

:console: