Track day brakes

vroom811

I use my 350Z (2007 Roadster GT) for track days and I have no confidence in the brakes.

The car is stock with Brembo brakes and after about 7 to 10 minutes on the track I get a very soft pedal then quickly no brakes.

I’ve swapped out the brake fluid to Motul 650 but it hasn’t really helped. I've bought a pyrometer and the front discs reach 240C, rear 70C.

I'm assuming the stock pads are overheating?

I know HEL steel lines and Endless fluid will help and that will be my next upgrade.

I want to do a track day a month and also use it day to day on the road. I know i can't spend all day out on the track but at the moment i only get four 8 min sessions on a 7 hour track day. The last two sessions have a soft pedal and I don't enjoy it as I'm terrified of my brakes suddenly disappearing as they have done so before.

I'm unsure if simply buying PF-01 pads for the front and using the stock Brembo calipers and disks would be enough? Would they be up to it? Would i need to replace the pads at the back to keep the car balanced?

If I need new discs too can i just do the front or will that unbalance the car?

Any advice? Thanks.

I guess there will be a lot of differing opinions on this but upgrade the pads for a start, however be warned very good track biased pads will squeal like a pig until warmed up, and usually leave your wheels black.

Expensive but VERY good on track and road:

http://www.carbotech...m/compounds.htm (XP8 compound or AX6 if not that often on track)

I believe my car has yellow stuff pads, which I'm very happy with but only road use so far.

My mr2 has the same yellow stuff pads, plus the motul fluid and braided lines, no problems at all, very, very good.

From experience with the MR2, I'd replace both pads and discs for maximum benefit (front and rear).

Edited by RobPhoboS

depends on a few things, consider the amount of grip the tyres have as well. Definitely upgrade the lines like you say, a number of people do just go for pads and disks on the front and that can help lengthen the sessions on track (in addition to the steel lines).

The brakes working properly make a big difference to the lap times in the car and there are a lot of different options but they all cost money :)

i went down the same path as you and ended up with a set of AP's mega brakes :)

I used to use Endless brake fluid (same stuff some teams use in F1), and the PF front discs with the 01 compound pads and the Z-compound pads on the rear. Discs were left stock on the back of the car IIRC. Also Goodridge lines were installed.

I had the fat arse roadster too, and I didn't get ANY brake fade at all on track with that setup, even after some extended sessions. Granted, my driving style is very easy on the brakes, but even so it's a setup I will go for again when I finally get 350Z no.2. Not cheap, but it was the best way to guarantee myself a brake setup that would last.

My setup is PF disks with Pagid RS29 pads on the front, standard setup on the rear, Goodridge hoses with Millers 300+ brake fluid. Together works really well on road (no outragous squeeling etc) and on track 25min+ sessions flat out are no problem and maintains confidence and feel always, the only problem ive found is the standard calipers do seem to suffer slightly with pad knock off so the brake bite point does shift very slightly on the pedal after rattling across curbs etc

I have tried few of the usual recommendations and found Ferodo 2500 did overheat quite early (and that was on a vx220 not a 1500kgs zed) and were very aggresive to the discs too, Carbotech XP8/10 are very good but be warned they produce an unholy amount of dust and its mega corrosive too so make sure you wash it off soon as poss or use wheels you dont like much

All of the above is obviously only my opinion from doing trackdays etc. Hope thats of some help to you

Edited by 350Butcher

I also run the DBA T3 discs, ferrodo ds2500 pads, HEL lines and RBF600 fluid.

I am very impressed with the setup and suffered no fade or soft pedal feel on track and I had my discs to well over 600 degC

It doesn't squeal on the road either.

I would highly recommend them, but I'm sure Alex has already sorted you out by now.

Have you had your disks checked for distortion or run out at all?

I ask because i did a track day at the start of the summer ish time,and had no confidence in the brakes at all,and i was pretty slow as a result. I run RBF 600 fluid,upgraded brake lines,DBA discs and DS2500 pads. Had the front disks skimmed recently,as i though it worth a go,and cant believe the difference it made. At a track day a few weeks ago,it was like a totally different set up. I could brake consistently and always knew where I was with the brakes. The Bedford GT track is 3.8 miles long,and I felt like I could go for hours round there with the brakes. Not once did they wilt,or did i think that i should stop due to over heating etc. Before spending ££££ on upgrades,see if your current set up is optimised,as you may find that its not. Worth a shot maybe. Talk to Marcus at Disc Skimmers,they are a trader on here. Hes a great guy and knows what he is talking about. Failing that, the DBA and DS2500 with upgraded fluid is a great combo with some braided lines.

Ideally I'd change the discs immediately but they are a big expensive. Would there be any drawback if I just buy PF-01 pads for the front now and see how they perform on my stock discs? Then when they wear out get new PF or DBA discs? (The car is completely standard with no modifications at the moment.)

Ideally I'd change the discs immediately but they are a big expensive. Would there be any drawback if I just buy PF-01 pads for the front now and see how they perform on my stock discs? Then when they wear out get new PF or DBA discs? (The car is completely standard with no modifications at the moment.)

What you are suggesting will not fix your issues

Alex. :)

Honestly, just do the whole lot in one go, with braking it's not worth doing it a bit at a time (IMHO).

I truly believe it's worth changing the discs with the new pads to get the best out of them, plus to see how the wear rates go over a period of time.

Instead of booking a couple of track days, save up and get it optimised for maximum fun when you are on track :)

Agreed. Soft pedal is overheating fluid, pads or rotors (usually all three, leading to the fluid boiling). Just doing the pads will mean you create more heat as they're more aggressive, making your problems worse. The cheapest thing you can do to start is the fluid for Motul and do the lines as well. Next step is pads and discs as a combination.

• 1 month later...
Posted · Hidden by Ebized, January 9, 2013 - Unauthorized trader
Hidden by Ebized, January 9, 2013 - Unauthorized trader

We can offer you our new design and development convergent vanes rotor they are the sport tuned type rotor superior to oe and competitor application are for the Nissan 350Z 03-08 front and rear. We have been getting many positive feedback about its performance. The mass reduction on the front rotor is 6.1 lbs. the rear is 1.5 lbs. it is by far the lightest rotor out there for the Nissan 350Z and G35 03-04, lighter rotors means better performance at the wheels and don't be surprise if your gain extra 10 to 15 whopping horsepower after installing these rotors. This is your chance to gain those hp back that was lost with the heavy rotors. It is proven that a lighter rotor can increase horsepower at the wheels check dyno testing.

Rotor Material: Racing Formula Alloyed Gray Iron & Heat treated

Machining: Straight Slot

Surface: EDP Coating w/cross cut grinding on friction surface

Front rotor weight Comparison

OEM Rotor 21.1 lbs.

RB 2 Piece 15 lbs.

Weight Savings: 6.1 lbs.

Rear rotor weight Comparison

One-piece 17.5 lbs.

RB Two-piece 16 lbs.

Weight Savings: 1.5 lbs.

Total weight saving: 15.2 lbs.

Front rotor

Rear rotor

I wear front and rear drilled disc brembo, metallic hose brake ( goodridge) and motul bf660 with rear and front ferodo ds 3000 pads, and i use my car also for trackdays, and it is too complicated to overheat this pads , you always have the same feel on the brake pedal ;)

Edited by A.quintana

I had DBA discs and Ferrodo ds2500 pads with stock fluid, 3 laps of oulton and i had no brakes (at druids) :evil:

Swapped to motul fluid and i have no fade at all. However a set of front pads only lasts me one day there.

Swapped to EBC blue stuff and HKS lines all round now but I haven't tested them yet

I have this exact same setup and don't suffer major issues on track or road.

Depends the kind of track your own as well.

I also run the DBA T3 discs, ferrodo ds2500 pads, HEL lines and RBF600 fluid.

I am very impressed with the setup and suffered no fade or soft pedal feel on track and I had my discs to well over 600 degC

It doesn't squeal on the road either.

I would highly recommend them, but I'm sure Alex has already sorted you out by now.

I did my brakes all at the same time, I needed pads but my discs were ok, and im not doing track days at the moment. DBA discs with ferodo ds2500 pads, HEL lines and motul fluid, I cant fault it. bites from cold nicely too which keeps things safe on the street.

If you do decide to go for ferodo pads, I have 2 remaining sets on special price offer :)

that video was quality, really suprised how quick the integra is, or how slow that evo was!! then again, like most evos, its probably broke or got something wrong!!!! :D